I Love These Songs

I discovered these 2 songs as a lost-soul teen in the late 80s.

I love the chorus-y effect on the guitar here. Just lots of silence and live performance dynamics.

Sounds like a baritone guitar at the beginning of this one- or just a killer bassline

Both tracks underscore relationship dynamics - Catch a Star is a bit mysterious, while Down By The Sea is intimate and pretty obvious. But the music really sells the at times opaque lyrical ideas. To me, both songs are stories of fleeting innocence and the feeling that the best moments of your life may have passed you by (even though they might not have).

Who hasn't felt that in their teens? That "this is it" - and it's all down-hill from 17!

• Like 2

:goodone:

I like the 2nd one. I think that one makes my Song Mining The Past file. :) (Btw, Overkill is probably in my personal top 30.)

I've started this long-term project file I call Song Mining The Past. I scan the songs of famous albums I haven't heard all the way through or albums I haven't heard at all. My theory is that just because an album didn't do much commercially doesn't mean the songs on it are duds. There are multiple reasons an album can fail, the quality of the music being just one of them.

I go through a given band's discography that I'm not that familiar with and look for cuts I like or connect with on some level, usually a musical level, lyrically less so, but I really should think about the lyrics too. I just scan the songs initially. Not enough time to fully listen to thousands of songs. The songs don't necessarily have to knock my socks off to make the file (at least make it temporarily) but it's always great to come across killer cuts you know you're going to like forever right off the bat. Later, I go through my picks again to see if they're still hitting me like they did on first listen and start winnowing down. My only rule is that I can't have heard the song before or it at least has to have faded from my memory. The only band I've done this with so far is The Dream Academy. The only knock I have on them is the singer's voice doesn't have much power behind it but it's pleasant enough to listen to.

Here's a song by them I found that I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_O3pKrzOiM

Edited by Three Eyes
  • Like 2

I discovered these 2 songs as a lost-soul teen in the late 80s.

I love the chorus-y effect on the guitar here. Just lots of silence and live performance dynamics.

Sounds like a baritone guitar at the beginning of this one- or just a killer bassline

Both tracks underscore relationship dynamics - Catch a Star is a bit mysterious, while Down By The Sea is intimate and pretty obvious. But the music really sells the at times opaque lyrical ideas. To me, both songs are stories of fleeting innocence and the feeling that the best moments of your life may have passed you by (even though they might not have).

Who hasn't felt that in their teens? That "this is it" - and it's all down-hill from 17!

Two of my favorites!
  • Like 2

I will always remember the Business as Usual album because it was the only cassette that my sister and I had with us to listen to during a trip to Mexico, September of 1983 (it was essentially a new album, back then). We listened to it over and over and over again. Really good memory.

And I still have that very cassette tape.

• Like 1

I will always remember the Business as Usual album because it was the only cassette that my sister and I had with us to listen to during a trip to Mexico, September of 1983 (it was essentially a new album, back then). We listened to it over and over and over again. Really good memory.

And I still have that very cassette tape.

I had a similar experience. I went sailing the Virgin Islands in 86, and all I had was this tape! LOL

So many memories conjured up by Business as Usual.

• Like 1

Here's a cool one but man early Police is all over this puppy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2eu9WgFuug

Love this one. Just weird guitar playing —- such a cool melody.

And how about the sound of these Men At Work albums? Pristine.

They really lost the plot on their third record. Trainwreck. Hay’s solo work is a little closer to original vibe...

They really lost the plot on their third record. Trainwreck. Hay’s solo work is a little closer to original vibe...

Overcooked 80s synth sound leads to disaster for a guitar-oriented band.
  • Like 1

I don't recall hearing anything off that album. Will have to check it out.

• Like 1

I don't recall hearing anything off that album. Will have to check it out.

I like "Maria", but that's about it.