Covid Carry-Outs.

pjbear05

Hey, don't know about you, but I'm keeping the economy alive by patronizing the fast food and local yokel joints when I don't want to cook. Phone in and online ordering working like a charm so far.

Biggest minus is the local restaurant we use for Chinese take out shut down completely no further details.

Biggest plus has been a location of WingStop (Troy Aikman was shilling for them a while back). Ordered a half and half (traditional for me, boneless for Karen) pack with sauces and sodas. Order was ready when I arrived and both were great. A lot of wing places cook at too hot a temperature, charing the outside and leaving the interior undercooked. WingStop got them perfect! Only mistake was i should have ordered more- I had 8 wings, could have polished off another 8 easy.

What are your hits-and misses?

• Like 1

Girlfriend and I have been making "takeout fridays" a staple--mostly local establishments. A luxury or two helps ya stay sane during covid restrictions.
  • Like 2

We've been trying to patronize the local places on a rotation; we've got about four or five (Mexican place, sub shop, Chinese, barbecue) we routinely order from. We take turns picking which place each time.

As a system, I kind of like it!

• Like 3

the times we do get take out or drive thru i pay in cash and tell them to keep the change. A nice little bonus for their hard work plus I don't have to handle the change from their Petri Dish full of money.
  • Like 2

Mrs. B and I have been getting take out every Friday since the corona shit hit the fan. It's a (mainly) chicken skewer neighborhood place with plenty of other tasty delights. Plus, it's only a 5 minute walk away so it's easy enough to swing by while we're taking little LucyBlaze the dog out for her early evening walk.
  • Like 1

You're all nuts. I wouldn't trust a stranger preparing my food and handing it to me during this lol.

Don't worry. Here are the restaurant staff who prepare my meals and takeout boxes:

http://seizougenba.com/sites/default/files/images/sss-002_36.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/ASIMO_4.28.11.jpg/1200px-ASIMO_4.28.11.jpg

• Like 1

I order takeout from a local restaurant every Saturday night. I get takeout from our local brewery too often. :cheers:

Bombers, crowlers, or growlers, m8? Ein prosit!
  • Like 1

I order takeout from a local restaurant every Saturday night. I get takeout from our local brewery too often. :cheers:

We fill three growlers every week at the Fox. They have some great craft brews. I've been getting the nut brown or the chocolate stout, while wifey gets the apricot, mango or raspberry-infused lighter beers.

We had been spending some time on the patio, but I guess last Friday it got "crowded" (more than 10 people) and the health dept shut it down. So now we just sit on the amphitheater steps and enjoy.

• Like 2

Food-wise, we do Pizza on Tuesdays, and either Chinese or Sushi one other night. The sushi is great, and they have a screaming deal: three rolls, two appetizers and miso soup for $19.99!
  • Like 3

We fill three growlers every week at the Fox. They have some great craft brews. I've been getting the nut brown or the chocolate stout, while wifey gets the apricot, mango or raspberry-infused lighter beers.

We had been spending some time on the patio, but I guess last Friday it got "crowded" (more than 10 people) and the health dept shut it down. So now we just sit on the amphitheater steps and enjoy.

Linked up to Fox via the Beer Advocate site, nice line up of brews!
  • Like 1

Two weeks ago we went to a Mexican restaurant for their takeout.

$30 worth of the worst and most tasteless stuff I ever had. It was AWFUL!

:rage:

sorry to hear that. it's pretty hard to botch up mexican food.

It's now getting to the point where I start to wonder if the low volume with restaurants is starting to affect the food freshness.

You're all nuts. I wouldn't trust a stranger preparing my food and handing it to me during this lol.

In my case most of the local yokels are not strangers. Local businesses, l-o-n g time association (local sub shop 30+ years), know the owners/employees on a first name basis. Besides, none of them-local or national-want the hassle of litigation, or worse, the stigma of harming someone through negligence.

Food-wise, we do Pizza on Tuesdays, and either Chinese or Sushi one other night. The sushi is great, and they have a screaming deal: three rolls, two appetizers and miso soup for $19.99!

That’s a deal!

What’s in the rolls?

Your choice. Any of the hand or long rolls featured here...

http://www.keisushi....alacartenew.pdf

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Bummer. I usually do Mexican at home.

:rage:

sorry to hear that. it's pretty hard to botch up mexican food.

It's now getting to the point where I start to wonder if the low volume with restaurants is starting to affect the food freshness.

It tasted as if it had all been rinsed in water before they bagged it. Even the chips were awful. If the guacomole didn't have garlic and onion in it, it would've been tasteless too. Even the salsa stunk.

Toojay's Deli, which operates 16 locations in South FL and another 14 statewide, filed for Chapter 11 protection today, citing loss of business due to the virus. I have been to 5 or 6 of them locally. Outstanding sandwiches, great soups and main dishes, and bakery treats to die for. An initial blueprint shows 2 of those 6 local locations, plus a location I was at in the Orlando area, as prime for permanent closing.

:facepalm: :( :boo hiss:

We got u-bake pizza tonight. The cashier was wearing a mask, but no on else. Gave me pause...

We stopped getting take out from our favorite meat skewer spot down the block because the staff my wife was dealing with was maskless. It's a small place and there were only 2 staff so they're both cooking and working as the front door/cashier staff. We love the food there but Mrs.B was thinking and thinking. I told her we shouldn't order from there since she has legit concerns. She was surprised I could give up that restaurant so easily. Not sure if that's a compliment to my will power or a rip on my fatness :LOL:

Side note: I'm thinking take out pizza tonight. :blaze:

We got u-bake pizza tonight. The cashier was wearing a mask, but no on else. Gave me pause...

We stopped getting take out from our favorite meat skewer spot down the block because the staff my wife was dealing with was maskless. It's a small place and there were only 2 staff so they're both cooking and working as the front door/cashier staff. We love the food there but Mrs.B was thinking and thinking. I told her we shouldn't order from there since she has legit concerns. She was surprised I could give up that restaurant so easily. Not sure if that's a compliment to my will power or a rip on my fatness :LOL:

Side note: I'm thinking take out pizza tonight. :blaze:

I'm hoping as things open backup around here that places use masks, and ask the customers to. (They are supposed to, but personal freedom etc.)

They had a local drive in movie's opening on the news tonight (not a carry out, Iol but still) and the owner spent a long time explaining how everyone will have to wear a mask, there will be an empty space between each parked car, snack bar will be done all through text ordering and they will text people one at a time to pick up their food and only 2 people at a time in the restrooms. I don't know if I would have thought of all of that as being necessary but I love that they thought the whole process through and are trying to make it safe for customers and workers at the same time. I'll be looking for "safer" places for awhile I think.