Which of these bands is the most influential and the most important in rock history?

treeduck

history and influence  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these bands is the most influential and the most important in rock history?

• The Rolling Stones
    • Led Zeppelin
    • Pink Floyd
    • Black Sabbath
    • Deep Purple
    • Van Halen
    • Queen
    • The Sex Pistols
    • Cream
    • The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    • The Who

Yeah The Beatles would definitely win. Without them it’s between Zep and The Stones, with a side order of Jimi. I’m not gonna pretend Queen have had the same level of influence as a lot of these bands. Personally, I think Zeppelin have caused more dudes to pick up an instrument and start a band than most anyone. I suppose there’s something to be said for the Sex Pistols, but then I don’t think it’s fair to peg a million teenagers with no talent deciding they could start a band and figure it out on their own on just one band, especially when The Clash and The Ramones are just as influential. Jimi I think had the biggest impact on people who were already playing guitar to get on his level. And The Stones, I can’t say I’ve heard a ton of bands that even attempted to imitate them. Aerosmith and The Black Crowes, that’s about it. The Stones just have a certain magic that doesn’t necessarily look like a formula for massive success on paper, yet the way they do it.... well they’re The Rolling Stones for crying out loud! Anyway my vote is for Zeppelin.

Hendrix influenced Clapton at the start of Cream; Cream influenced Zeppelin; and from there it's shoots and branches everywhere

^Yep, this. Jimi ftw.

The Rolling Stones and no Beatles? :facepalm:

The Beatles would win, so they don't need to be in.

That's exactly why they need to be in it.

Oh wait, your poll is for 2nd place? OK that's cool.

So I really can't decide between Zep who influenced pretty much everyone to follow and Sabbath who gave heavy metal it's start.

The Rolling Stones and no Beatles? :facepalm:

The Beatles would win, so they don't need to be in.

That's exactly why they need to be in it.

Oh wait, your poll is for 2nd place? OK that's cool.

So I really can't decide between Zep who influenced pretty much everyone to follow and Sabbath who gave heavy metal it's start.

There's no point doing a poll when you already know the winner. In this case you may as well just start a Beatles thread, so why don't you start one? Do something anyway.

• Like 1

sabbath for most direct influence, you can hear sabbath in all subgenres of metal, as well as in punk, grunge, etc. but you could probably also argue that sabbath wouldnt exist without cream or hendrix

hell, when it comes to metal, purple might be as big as sabbath in some way... obviously, you don't hear as much purple in modern metal, but all that neoclassical shred shit starts with blackmore in my view. so you could say the lighter metal styles like power, prog, early heavy metal, etc are closer to the landmark purple records than the landmark sabbath records. but when it comes to heavier, darker material, it's all totally sabbath. symptom of the universe? thrash.

but I guess if symptom of the universe is thrash, so is stone cold crazy... but symptom is still heavier. and better

• Like 1

hell, when it comes to metal, purple might be as big as sabbath in some way... obviously, you don't hear as much purple in modern metal, but all that neoclassical shred shit starts with blackmore in my view. so you could say the lighter metal styles like power, prog, early heavy metal, etc are closer to the landmark purple records than the landmark sabbath records.

Iron Maiden is more influenced by Deep Purple than Black Sabbath, esp. rhythm-wise.

Edited by Texas King

Judging by the poll and some of the other recent polls people are voting for their favourite bands.

I'm probably guilty of doing that for some of The Year polls, but not in this case. I would much rather listen to Led Zeppelin or Cream than Hendrix, but I am persuaded by the arguments about Hendrix's position in the evolution; his influence was outsized.

From this list it's Sabbath. By a lot.

Bwhahaha!! Zep is clearly the answer. But Sabbath is second.

I agree that it is funny to suggest that Zeppelin is more influential. Don't get me wrong. I love their music. But they're more like the Stones than Sabbath in this poll. They didn't really "change," anything.

I voted Stones for the influential decline on my bank account over the last 50+ years. Hotel rooms, flights, ubers, etc.

49826226326_5aaab19301_z.jpg

Edited by custom55