Cream

Lorraine

I'm not a drummer, but someone said that on this song Ginger plays every "phrase" different with no repeats. Is that true?

They were a really good band . Too bad they were short-lived. Eric said that Ginger and Jack despised each other and made it impossible to continue. If I remember correctly, he also said they made a later attempt to reunite, but the same thing happened - Ginger and Jack at it all the time.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I'm not a drummer, but someone said that on this song Ginger plays every "phrase" different with no repeats. Is that true?

http://youtu.be/12sYTdPkEYQ

They were a really good band . Too bad they were short-lived. Eric said that Ginger and Jack despised each other and made it impossible to continue. If I remember correctly, he also said they made a later attempt to reunite, but the same thing happened - Ginger and Jack at it all the time.

You'd have liked Ginger, he hates heavy metal! :16ton:

• Like 1

You should've gone to see him when you had a chance and see what you could've done to change his mind. :D-13:

• Like 1

You should've gone to see him when you had a chance and see what you could've done to change his mind. :D-13:

Oh he had up his mind a long time before I was but a little toddler...

Nonsense! :popcorn:

What kind of heavy metal god are you??? :cool:

You should've gone over to his place armed not only with a shotgun :madra: (just in case - Ginger was so volatile :yes: ) but also with an armful of Dio songs and your other favorites and given it the old college try. You may have gained a bosom buddy heavy metal pal. :gg:

As I've mentioned before, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker always bickered, just like Sting and Stewart Copeland.

The bass and drums are thundering, which probably causes thundering personalities for some.

Eric Clapton and Andy Summers were always stuck in the middle.

Whereas Geddy, Alex, and Neil got along.

• Like 3

Nonsense! :popcorn:

What kind of heavy metal god are you??? :cool:

You should've gone over to his place armed not only with a shotgun :madra: (just in case - Ginger was so volatile :yes: ) but also with an armful of Dio songs and your other favorites and given it the old college try. You may have gained a bosom buddy heavy metal pal. :gg:

I doubt it!

:LOL:

It's hard to say for certain, but he's definitely not playing the exact same lick over and over again. He sounds very much like he's making each phrase up on the spot, so I wouldn't be surprised necessarily if there actually are a couple that are the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were indeed all completely different. Ginger is very much a "feel" player to my ears. He's always playing around with the beat without ever imposing on it.

• Like 2

As I've mentioned before, Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker always bickered, just like Sting and Stewart Copeland.

The bass and drums are thundering, which probably causes thundering personalities for some.

And Gibbons, Hill, and Beard.

• Like 2

Cream was one of those brilliant but quick chemical reactions that's gonna burn itself out but make something cool happen. If they'd lasted forty years, we might not think of them so fondly, but (as a band) they have that live-fast-die-young-leave-a-good-looking-corpse thing that's always been baked into rock music.

I think I remember from that documentary on YouTube that Ginger once went at Jack with a knife -- probably pretty stressful working environment for everybody; we're lucky they made as much music as they did.

But it's such great music, innit? I'm not a drummer, so I can't help answer Lorraine's OP, but I know I love listening to his drumming because there's so much going on. Oh, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have tried to talk Ginger into anything without a team of guys with shotguns; he did not seem like a man open to persuasion!

• Like 1

Is that documentary the movie Beware of Mr. Baker?

Yeah, that's the one! I'm so glad you recommended it; fascinating look at a guy who was mostly repellent, but so damned skilled.

I watched that one too about a year ago.

Something about the arts and mental health. Maybe it is the sensitivity required to write music well? I don't know whether this is true or not, but I grew up listening to Ravel (this was before Bo Derek made him famous again) and I remember my sister telling me that he wrote Bolero for his orchestra as a practice piece for them when he was in the insane asylum.

Edited by Lorraine

I watched that one too about a year ago.

Something about the arts and mental health. Maybe it is the sensitivity required to write music well? I don't know whether this is true or not, but I grew up listening to Ravel (this was before Bo Derek made him famous again) and I remember my sister telling me that he wrote Bolero for his orchestra as a practice piece for them when he was in the insane asylum.

There may be something to that -- just as a random example, the guy who contributed a substantial number of definitions and examples to the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary was housed in an asylum! He communicated through letters, mostly. He was there for auto-castration, as I recall.

The flip side is that every weirdo in ninth grade says they're a creative genius.

Hmmmm . . . Bo Derek . . . .

• Like 1

Being nice is a requirement for Canadians.

(love you Canada!)

I missed this initially.

The 2008 Police appearance on Spectacle: Elvis Costello with...that I posted on Rod In Toronto's thread of interviewing Stewart Copeland; I didn't hear the live performance near the end.

The Police and Elvis Costello first do a medley of 'Watching the Detectives' and 'Walking on the Moon'.

Then they all perform a cover of 'Sunshine of Your Love' at the very end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NaEWqDlqCY

Edited by RushFanForever

The mid 90s BBM project was a sort of updated Cream, with Jack, Ginger and Gary Moore. One album, Around The Next Dream, whilst not a classic, has it moments and worth a listen.

I can't imagine Gary will have helped Ginger's temperament, cos I think at times, he could be as bad.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that it was the drummer who founded the band.

Ginger Baker formed Cream and Stewart Copeland founded The Police.

However in the case of RUSH and ZZ Top, it was the guitarist who founded the band.

Alex Lifeson founded RUSH and Billy Gibbons founded ZZ Top.

Does founding a band by a guitarist help to keep the peace more than one founded by the drummer perhaps?

Edited by RushFanForever