I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine!

blackhawkrush

Since there's not much going on in sports nowadays, I decided to follow the Magnus Carlsen Chess Invitational. Eight players are involved in an on-line round-robin tournament, with the top four point getters advancing to the semifinals. There's been a few good matches so far, the commentary keeps you entertained, and I even managed to predict some of the moves. Of course, if I was ever going to play any of these guys, they'd have me for lunch, dinner and have some supper leftovers. Any chess players out there?
  • Like 1

Not a chess player but I recognized the line from One Night In Bangkok...great song :D

I was trying to pick something less sexual, but in that song it's almost impossible. :blush:
  • Like 3

I want to be a chess player but I'm shit. I'm quite good at the openings, I know the names of them even and I know how to open in good position. As soon as I get to the middlegame though it all falls apart. :facepalm:
  • Like 2

Since there's not much going on in sports nowadays, I decided to follow the Magnus Carlsen Chess Invitational. Eight players are involved in an on-line round-robin tournament, with the top four point getters advancing to the semifinals. There's been a few good matches so far, the commentary keeps you entertained, and I even managed to predict some of the moves. Of course, if I was ever going to play any of these guys, they'd have me for lunch, dinner and have some supper leftovers. Any chess players out there?

The game intrigues me and I have tried to play it but it's something I never got good at.

I like to play chess; I play with my sixteen-year-old son quite a bit, but he beat me recently, so that may be the end of that! I once lost a match in three moves; top that!

Like others have said, I'm utter crap, but if it were someone of my approximate skill, I enjoy it.

I don't know how much I'd enjoy watching it, though.

• Like 1

I like to play chess; I play with my sixteen-year-old son quite a bit, but he beat me recently, so that may be the end of that! I once lost a match in three moves; top that!

Like others have said, I'm utter crap, but if it were someone of my approximate skill, I enjoy it.

I don't know how much I'd enjoy watching it, though.

Give it a try. All the matches are on YouTube at chess24.

Fun fact, Murray’s brother is Rupert on Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

And Murray Head sang the role of Judas in the Original version of Jesus Christ Superstar, although most on this board will already know that ;)

NFL draft going on right now. Its something.

Nothing gets me pumped for football season like Andrew Lloyd Weber does.

I prefer 80s dance rap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-U8E-NiPlw

maxresdefault.jpg

da-bears-glasses_grande_38796048-d760-4781-b6ec-a85307eb7201_grande.jpg?v=1545230352

I knew I should've placed this in the Video Vertigo section. :eyeroll:
  • Like 1

i enjoy it as well, but I'm mediocre at best. My uncle is a grandmaster and was one of Bobby Fischer's closest (and only) friends. So I have the privilege of knowing that I've lost horribly on the very chess board that Bobby Fischer played on. You mentioned three moves...I'm recall my uncle doing something similar to me once. :LOL:

Here's an article on my uncle, if you're interested. https://bobbyfischer.net/bobby33.html

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

i enjoy it as well, but I'm mediocre at best. My uncle is a grandmaster and was one of Bobby Fischer's closest (and only) friends. So I have the privilege of knowing that I've lost horribly on the very chess board that Bobby Fischer played on. You mentioned three moves...I'm recall my uncle doing something similar to me once. :LOL:

Here's an article on my uncle, if you're interested. https://bobbyfischer.net/bobby33.html

Cool article.

I remember liking the movie Searching For Bobby Fischer and being kind of fascinated by the guy.

• Like 1