All Things Must Pass vs. Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs

choose one  

21 members have voted

1. 1. album

• George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
    • Derek And The Dominoes - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs

Eric Clapton and Layla and other Love Songs by a mile.

Layla itself has Clapton and Duane Allman playing on it; I know a whole lot of others including Eric played on All Things but I have always preferred Clapton's sound over Harrison solo, just my opinion. I love George with the Beatles and Traveling Wilburys but not so much alone, it's just me. Great talents both.

• Like 1

Ringo Starr received sole writing credit for 'It Don't Come Easy', but had "substantial, but uncredited, assistance from George Harrison.

The song has the same chord structure as 'Let It Rain', written by Eric Clapton and Bonnie Bramlett.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VKpMI5Msa4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCD0fPSsdBA

Clapton and Starr both appear on All Things Must Pass.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

All Things Must Pass included Clapton, Bobby Whitlock, Jim Gordon, and Carl Radle.

Layla included Clapton, Whitlock, Gordon, and Radle.

Layla is one of my favorite albums so it was an easy pick for me. Have always been such a big fan of Duane Allman. Love the bonus jam disc on the Box-set.

• Like 2

Bobby Whitlock and his wife CoCo Carmel released an independent album in 2008 titled Lovers.

This album featured guest appearance by guitarist Eric Johnson and local Austin guitarist David Grissom (known for his stint with John Mellencamp and being a member of the blues-rock band Storyville). Grissom also toured with The Dixie Chicks and Allman Brothers.

One of the songs is a remake of 'Layla' that's slowed down in the verses with screaming saxophone playing by CoCo Carmel and minus the lengthy piano coda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crJ1JK4yk0s

The album then went 'out of print', so it was released as

In 2007, the late Stephen Bruton (a local Austin musician also on Lovers), organized a concert titled The Road To Austin (more about it here), The concert was then released on DVD in 2014.

Whitlock and Carmel were one of the performing acts at the event, where they had included both Johnson and Grissom reprising their guitar roles.

They perform 'Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad' and 'Layla' below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZPoeZSnp9M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDbO1Hf8R5w

Edited by RushFanForever

First of all...ouch! EP, in making me choose, you’re putting a figurative gun to my head. Both are absolute masterpieces. Both released in the same year...both indispensable.

But remembering there’s a gun to my head, I have to choose...

Layla.

• Like 1

All things Must Pass

George had a rocky solo career but this is a stone classic.

Mick

I revisited his discography about 6 months ago or so. When I did it like that, I realized that he was actually more consistent than Paul or John.

If i had to rate solo careers.

Mccartney ( choppy yes but i admit i'm a bit biased here, lol)

Harrison (when it's good.....it's SOOOO good)

Lennon (i like 2 albums. his debut and his side of Double Fantasy. the rest just is a downer. but UNLIKE his raw downer debut......not very good, to me the sounds of a man CLEARLY unhappy)

Never heard Ringo and don't really care, lol

Mick

George. Brings back great memories of high school.

Love these lyrics

If not for you

Babe, I couldn't even find the door

I couldn't even see the floor

I'd be sad and blue, if not for you

If not for you

Babe, the night would see me wide awake

The day would surely have to break

It would not be new, if not for you

If not for you, my sky would fall

Rain would gather, too

Without your love I'd be nowhere at all

I'd be lost, if not for you

• Like 3

After listening to them both recently I decided on All Things Must Pass. Ironically the one with an entire third LP dedicated to jams is the less kinda blues jamming centric of the two. Both are great, and I gained a new appreciation for them both on revisiting, but George seems to have more to say, more variety, across the first four sides of All Things Must Pass.

I'll give Layla this though, when it hits, it hits much harder than All Things Must Pass. The riff to Layla, the chorus of Bell Bottom Blues, the single falsetto backing vocal on many of the songs that breaks and you just feel Eric shedding tears. ... morally objectionable tears over another man's woman.. but ya know ... tears. I don't get a lot of tears out of George, just meditations and wise words.

• Like 2

All Things Must Pass included Clapton, Bobby Whitlock, Jim Gordon, and Carl Radle.

Layla included Clapton, Whitlock, Gordon, and Radle.

Layla is one of my favorite albums so it was an easy pick for me. Have always been such a big fan of Duane Allman. Love the bonus jam disc on the Box-set.

Dang really? Talk about a great matchup then! This should be as ubiquitous and often unanswerable a question as The Beatles vs The Stones!

Okay maybe not that ubiquitous, but given all the circumstances around both records and their similarities and stark differences, I'd say it's a pretty easy matchup to make.

All Things Must Pass absolutely. George used it to release a lot of songs he had in the can for years and it was if I may so "Something" else. ;) In someways the two albums have some similarities in sound but that was because both of them played on them. Love Layla and Bell Bottom Blues but being the Beatle fan I am, George wins. :coy:
  • Like 2

After listening to them both recently I decided on All Things Must Pass. Ironically the one with an entire third LP dedicated to jams is the less kinda blues jamming centric of the two. Both are great, and I gained a new appreciation for them both on revisiting, but George seems to have more to say, more variety, across the first four sides of All Things Must Pass.

I'll give Layla this though, when it hits, it hits much harder than All Things Must Pass. The riff to Layla, the chorus of Bell Bottom Blues, the single falsetto backing vocal on many of the songs that breaks and you just feel Eric shedding tears. ... morally objectionable tears over another man's woman.. but ya know ... tears. I don't get a lot of tears out of George, just meditations and wise words.

George doesn't do the tears as you say but Isn't It a Pity? has some sobering realizations in it.

• Like 1

I think 'it's a pity' that The Beatles as a group and solo artists' would record multiple takes of a song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFxYsWCT6_k

This particular version is Take 27.

That would drive me mad if I was recording where I ended up kicking the bucket and joining The 27 Club.

Edited by RushFanForever