Bob Dylan - Murder Most Foul

The Cat 3

bob-dylan-murder-most-foul.jpg

Greetings Net Boys and Net Girls

Bob Dylan recently released a new song entitled, "Murder Most Foul".

The song has just reached number one on the Billboard charts, making it his first number one single.

The song clocks in at just under 17 minutes long and is about the assassination of John F Kennedy.

He released a statement on the day of the release that read...

"Greetings to my fans and followers with gratitude for all your support and loyalty across the years. This is an unreleased song we recorded a while back that you might find interesting. Stay safe, stay observant and may God be with you." -Bob Dylan

Edited by The Cat 3
  • Like 7

The song has just reached number one on the Billboard charts, making it his first number one single.

The song clocks in at just under 17 minutes long and is about the assassination of John F Kennedy.

"Greetings to my fans and followers with gratitude for all your support and loyalty across the years. This is an unreleased song we recorded a while back that you might find interesting. Stay safe, stay observant and may God be with you." -Bob Dylan

I`ve had the window open to play this on my phone for about ten days now - just waiting for the right time to sit quietly and listen to it properly as Dylan songs tend to need real attention; especially when they`re 17 minutes long. Thanks for reminding me!

• Like 1

What a milestone for Bob Dylan after almost 60 years, nevermind the fact the song is nearly 17 minutes long.

Dylan is quoting 20th century culture, along with music artist and song references as well, like Billy Joel did in 'We Didn't Start The Fire'.

However this is more poignant.

It's a same related milestone for the late Tom Petty when his album Hypnotic Eye reached # 1 in 2014.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1

I`ve had the window open to play this on my phone for about ten days now - just waiting for the right time to sit quietly and listen to it properly as Dylan songs tend to need real attention; especially when they`re 17 minutes long. Thanks for reminding me!

I will be doing the same, so I can listen to it with the proper intention and focus.

Dylan is and always has been just remarkable.

• Like 3

I bet Bob Dylan will be a possible future winner with receiving the 'Visionary' award for "Murder Most Foul" at the Progressive Music Awards via Prog magazine.

The length and musicality of the song meets progressive-rock standards.

i just LOVE the references and the imagery and the song really flies by.

Mick

• Like 2

It's like a stream of consciousness pop culture hymn and, despite its run-time, is pretty accessible and maybe even commercial. It postures as a masterpiece coda of a great artist but what I'm seeing thematically is a combination of American Pie and Man on the Moon with Dylan's patented cryptic lyrics (which seems to me often have more meaning attributed to them than is actually there). The piano part reminds me of Bridge Over Troubled Water's gorgeous essence and the end themes of a thousand Tom Hanks movies. His vocal performance is vintage Dylan which is to say more like the talk-sing of a seasoned actor than a singer and that is not an insult. He is and always has been a brilliant vocalist. I'll probably listen to this again but a 17 minute song that's not particularly original is a bit self-indulgent even for a performer of Dylan's stature.
  • Like 2

There's another new Dylan song. "I Contain Multitudes"

He must have cancelled dates on his never ending tour because of the virus, right? I'm guessing finally releasing songs he's probably had stowed away for years is how he's making up for it.

• Like 1

I bet Bob Dylan will be a possible future winner with receiving the 'Visionary' award for "Murder Most Foul" at the Progressive Music Awards via Prog magazine.

The length and musicality of the song meets progressive-rock standards.

i just LOVE the references and the imagery and the song really flies by.

Mick

That's the sign of a great song.

• Like 1

Here he goes again!

He just released another new song, “False Prophet”.

Only this time with the announcement of a brand new album, original songs.

The album is entitled, “Rough and Rowdy Ways” and is due on 19 June 2020.

Here’s “False Prophet”...

Edited by The Cat 3