Joseph "Satch" Satriani vs Alexandar "Thatch" Lifeson (real name Zivo)

treeduck

Who is better?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you prefer as a guitar player?

Well they're both standing with Eric Johnson, so that would be a difficult decision to make.

http://www.satriani.com/gallery/2006-04_tour/Alex.jpg

Now THERE'S a G3 tour for ya!

Love all 3, no vote!

I prefer Alex and his sound much more than Joe Sat; however . . . .(and I'll probably get crap for this) Satriani may have a teeny bit of a technical edge. (I remember having to listen to Surfing with an Alien or whatever, a lot when a friend loved it.) Technique is nothing without heart and soul, though, and Alex can bring the feeling like almost no one else. Satriani leaves me somewhat cold.
  • Like 3

Satch used to be good when he first made a splash in 1986 with Not of This Earth and then 1987 with Surfing with the Alien and Flying in a Blue Dream in 1989 but it was all downhill from there. Forgettable songs and solos ever since on countless releases.
  • Like 2

Satch used to be good when he first made a splash in 1986 with Not of This Earth and then 1987 with Surfing with the Alien and Flying in a Blue Dream in 1989 but it was all downhill from there. Forgettable songs and solos ever since on countless releases.

Actually Crystal Planet is one of my favorite albums.

I found it really dull along with everything else after the 80's. The last one I bought was the one in 2002, I gave up after that.

I found it really dull along with everything else after the 80's. The last one I bought was the one in 2002, I gave up after that.

saw satch on g3 with vai and petrucci. he is great but i prefer petrucci and i think vai is next level to both of them.

that was great show. MP playing with JP.

• Like 1

Well they're both standing with Eric Johnson, so that would be a difficult decision to make.

http://www.satriani.com/gallery/2006-04_tour/Alex.jpg

I ws a very lucky human many years ago. I won a contest through my local used record store to go to San Francisco and go into Hyde Studios where they recorded "Surfing With The Alien." It was to promote the new double deluxe cd 25th Anniversary. It was incredible. They played the entire "Surfing" album all the way through and then did a few other songs in the studio. It was only about 30 of us.

After the private gig we had a meet and greet with Joe. He signed a cool lithograph of the 25th Anniversary Surfing Poster. We chatted for a bit. I brought up how much I love Dave Meniketti and Alex Lifeson. He told me that he loves both of them! Joe is a great guy!! Alex is a great guy too!! I am blessed meeting both of these very humble guys.

• Like 1

Lifeson, without even taking a breath. Really don’t care for Satriani at all.

Yep. Listened to JS a couple times and really tried to understand why he is famous at all. Absolutely no soul whatsoever. Technically gifted as hell, and boring as hell to boot.

I mean this is a silly poll on a Rush forum. As great as NEP and Ged were, I still claim Alex was the greatest musician in the band. It was always all about Alex. I love Alex. I want to be a woman and get pregnant by him and pleasure his body.