SAINTS kicker Tom Dempsey, 73, dies of Covid-19

treeduck

RIP Tom.

If you're of an age, you know he held the NFL record for longest FG for quite a number of years at 63 yards. On top of that, he did it (in 1971 iirc) at sea level in New Orleans not a mile high in Denver.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but didn't he only have part of his kicking foot?

RIP -- go join the Saints.

Yes. And a partially formed hand.

dempsey-2-1586062421.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.448xh;0,0.105xh&resize=900:*

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Dempsey died WITH coronavirus.

"Dempsey...has been battling Alzheimer’s disease as well as dementia since 2013..."

An important clarification.

• Like 2

Dempsey died WITH coronavirus.

"Dempsey...has been battling Alzheimer’s disease as well as dementia since 2013..."

An important clarification.

According to this New Orleans article, Dempsey did die from covid-19.

Tom Dempsey died late Saturday of complications from the novel coronavirus, his family said. He was 73.

Dempsey contracted the virus in March during an outbreak at the Lambeth House retirement home in Uptown New Orleans. He is one of at least 15 residents there to die after being stricken with the disease.

Dempsey was diagnosed with COVID-19, the highly contagious respiratory disease, on March 25, Ashley Dempsey said.

She said her father's fight against the virus started promisingly, but his condition gradually worsened. Doubling his family's pain is that they could not be with him during his final days because Lambeth House residents were quarantined. However, they spoke to him via video chat daily, Ashley Dempsey said.

"We didn't want him to think we had abandoned him," she said. "We wanted him to know we still loved him — always."

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_f4822bdf-7ef3-522e-8634-54ad5805dc21.html

RIP Tom. I don't have a fond opinion of 'retirement homes' as my my parents both died after experiencing Alzheimer's in the same situation.

Yeah his right foot was deformed to where it was basically a sledgehammer. I think that is just as debatable for his record status as Prater setting the record in the thin air of Denver. Regardless either way, Dempsey and Prator both did it which is a rare occurrence that other kickers have not done.

Edited by HemiBeers

God, the '70s were a different world, weren't they?

What is that, Topps '75?

he played for Philly from 71-74. Interesting that he set the record in 1970 but the Saints got rid of him after that year. He only had about a 53% accuracy rating his 2 years with the Saints and 61% for his career. Any kicker these days with less than 80% probably doesn't have a job. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

What is that, Topps '75?

he played for Philly from 71-74. Interesting that he set the record in 1970 but the Saints got rid of him after that year. He only had about a 53% accuracy rating his 2 years with the Saints and 61% for his career. Any kicker these days with less than 80% probably doesn't have a job.

So, just as a thought experiment, what do you suppose was going through the head of the Saints coach? "I've got a kicker who's no better than average, it's 63 yards; yeah, let's go for it"? Maybe it was a low-risk situation.

What is that, Topps '75?

he played for Philly from 71-74. Interesting that he set the record in 1970 but the Saints got rid of him after that year. He only had about a 53% accuracy rating his 2 years with the Saints and 61% for his career. Any kicker these days with less than 80% probably doesn't have a job.

So, just as a thought experiment, what do you suppose was going through the head of the Saints coach? "I've got a kicker who's no better than average, it's 63 yards; yeah, let's go for it"? Maybe it was a low-risk situation.

It was. Last play of the game. I'm pretty sure they were playing the Lions

• Like 2

What is that, Topps '75?

yeah it was a total shot by the coach when he didn't have any alternative. that decision doesn't happen unless it's the last play of a half or game.

What is that, Topps '75?

yeah it was a total shot by the coach when he didn't have any alternative. that decision doesn't happen unless it's the last play of a half or game.

Again going strictly off memory..I believe the Saints were down 2 and his kick, as mentioned the last play of the game, got them the win. Without googling, I believe the final score was Saints 19, Lions 17.

Seeing, reading, and hearing of anyone passing away from Coronavirus has been bad, and depressing. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Tom.