Rank the Opeth albums 2020

treeduck

This is how I rank them right now. I've not listened to the latest one, In Cauda Venenum, that much yet so it's place in the rankings could change in the future. Damnation is low compared to a lot of people maybe but I've always found that album a little flat and Orchid doesn't grab me as much as it used to.

1. Ghost Reveries

2. Blackwater Park

3. Deliverance

4. Still Life

5. Watershed

6. My Arms Your Hearse

7. Morningrise

8. Pale Communion

9. Sorceress

10. In Cauda Venenum

10. Heritage

12. Damnation

13. Orchid

• Like 1

I've never listened to a whole Opeth album. I'm a bit interested, though I'm not a huge fan of the death growl vocals.
  • Like 1

Great thread! I'll have to work on this. There are many songs of their songs that I enjoy but not too many albums that I play all the way through.

I was working on some renos over the course of the last few years and rolled through YouTube many times listening to them while I worked.

• Like 2

1. Ghost Reveries

2. Blackwater Park

3. Watershed

4. Deliverance

5. Heritage

6. Damnation

7. Pale Communion

8. In Cauda Venenum

9. Sorceress

10. Still Life

11. My Arms Your Hearse

12. Morningrise

13. Orchid

Hahaha!

I am sure you guys can tell from my list that I prefer the less "growl" albums. But man OPETH RULES. Only band I'm in love with that growls. Pat you know this.

• Like 2

1. Ghost Reveries

2. Blackwater Park

3. Watershed

4. Deliverance

5. Heritage

6. Damnation

7. Pale Communion

8. In Cauda Venenum

9. Sorceress

10. Still Life

11. My Arms Your Hearse

12. Morningrise

13. Orchid

Hahaha!

I am sure you guys can tell from my list that I prefer the less "growl" albums. But man OPETH RULES. Only band I'm in love with that growls. Pat you know this.

Well your top 4 albums all have cookie monster growls, so you can't be too worried about them!

• Like 1

1. Ghost Reveries

2. Still Life

3. My Arms, Your Hearse

4. Orchid

5. Blackwater Park

6. Deliverance

7. Watershed

8. Morningrise

9. Damnation

I genuinely can't get into anything past Watershed, I try but it's just not for me.

Damn though, I love these nine albums and all I can think now is that I must get back to them!

• Like 1

This is how I rank them right now. I've not listened to the latest one, In Cauda Venenum, that much yet so it's place in the rankings could change in the future. Damnation is low compared to a lot of people maybe but I've always found that album a little flat and Orchid doesn't grab me as much as it used to.

1. Ghost Reveries

2. Blackwater Park

3. Deliverance

4. Still Life

5. Watershed

6. My Arms Your Hearse

7. Morningrise

8. Pale Communion

9. Sorceress

10. In Cauda Venenum

10. Heritage

12. Damnation

13. Orchid

Could you rank the Death albums?

• Like 1

1. Ghost Reveries

2. Blackwater Park

3. Deliverance

4. Still Life

5. Watershed

6. My Arms Your Hearse

7. Morningrise

8. Pale Communion

9. Sorceress

10. In Cauda Venenum

10. Heritage

12. Damnation

13. Orchid

I could.

• Like 1

1. Ghost Reveries

2. Blackwater Park

3. Deliverance

4. Still Life

5. Watershed

6. My Arms Your Hearse

7. Morningrise

8. Pale Communion

9. Sorceress

10. In Cauda Venenum

10. Heritage

12. Damnation

13. Orchid

I could.

I much prefer Death's last 4 albums to first 3 albums, because they are not typical death metal. Symbolic is definitely my fave.

Edited by Texas King
  • Like 2

My list might be controversial to an old-school fan, but I couldn't give a flying f**k. Half a year later, I love the new album and easily place it in my top 3. I suppose I am also in the minority for really digging the polarizing Heritage. I appreciate, but am not a huge fan of pre-Still Life.

1. Ghost Reveries

2. Watershed

3. In Cauda Venenum

4. Blackwater Park

5. Pale Communion

6. Deliverance

7. Heritage

8. Damnation

9. Still Life

10. Sorceress

11. My Arms Your Hearse

12. Orchid

13. Morningrise

Edited by cygnify
  • Like 2

I've never listened to a whole Opeth album. I'm a bit interested, though I'm not a huge fan of the death growl vocals.

Start with this album then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOscE0NA6ZA

Hey Duck! Guess what I just got on vinyl today and am listening to right now!

• Like 1

Need to think about this one ..... I first really got into them before the more melodic progressive phase took over....but i like them doing both styles.

I saw them in late 2017 in Belfast supported by a band called Enslaved who are a very good Norwegian band worth checking out if you haven't heard them.

I will post my ratings later today or tomorrow (Saturday is normally a write-off for me!) :hail: :hail: :hail:

Sorry!! Just realised that this is an old thread! ...... but I'll rate anyway!!

Edited by zepphead

This album? How do you like it?

I do! This was an excellent recommendation, thank you for that! I'll admit I happened to get Blackwater Park a couple weeks back digitally and have listened to it a few times. Lots of cool things there as well but my favorite bits were the ones without the death vocals. Pale Communion is just the kind of heavy proggy goodness I love!

• Like 1

This album? How do you like it?

I do! This was an excellent recommendation, thank you for that! I'll admit I happened to get Blackwater Park a couple weeks back digitally and have listened to it a few times. Lots of cool things there as well but my favorite bits were the ones without the death vocals. Pale Communion is just the kind of heavy proggy goodness I love!

Next you need to try Damnation and then the new one In Cauda Venenum, Sorceress, and the one i listened to the other day, Heritage. Those are all the prog ones with no death vocals. If you're still interested go for Ghost Reveries, that has death vocals but is the most prog rock of the death metal albums.

• Like 1

I have compiled my list of Opeth albums .... it chopped and changed because frankly some days

i want to hear death metal and other days the more Prog side of the band.

I have been a fan of Opeth for quite a while and they helped to introduce me to death metal (although i struggle with some of the more extreme bands.)

From favourite to least favourite -

1. Ghost Reveries - it was close between this and #2 but i think on this the balance between the older style and the prog style is good. The Grand Conjuration is magmificent

2. Blackwater Park - the band's coming of age, another stunning album

3. Still Life - this release showed what Opeth were capable of and in some ways a declaration of intent

4. Deliverance/Damnation - I have bundled these together as I feel they should be viewed as such - total contrast in styles which just works for me

5. Pale Communion - my favourite of their later style

6. Watershed - as the title suggests, a move towards a less death metal based platform, Ghost Reveries does it much better.

7. In Clauda Venenum - their latest release - issued in both English and Swedish. Strangely I prefer the Swedish language version.

8. Sorceress - no growl vocals ... but a good listen if you struggle with the death voice

9. Heritage - as per Sorceress

10. My Arms Your Hearse - a band finding its feet

11. Morning Rise - as per My Arms

12. Orchid - as per My Arms

Edited by zepphead