Deep Purple vs. King Crimson

choose one  

23 members have voted

1. 1. band

2. 2. definitive album

• Machine Head
    • In The Court Of The Crimson King
  3. 3. other definitive album

I should probably listen to Crimson at some point.

Given that one definitive album was left out by that band (Discipline), I would highly recommend it.

My vote would be for KC, but they have other albums that should be mentioned besides the 2 above.

• Like 2

Given that one definitive album was left out by that band (Discipline), I would highly recommend it.

My vote would be for KC, but they have other albums that should be mentioned besides the 2 above.

If I could add more poll questions I most definitely would. Deep Purple have other highly acclaimed albums as well. These four seem to be the most acclaimed between the two bands.

Totally! You're a metal fan, you'd love Red!

Totally! You're a metal fan, you'd love Red!

I think I should go with Court first. That's the one everyone talks about, right?

It's probably the best place to start for most people. It's kinda of all over the place in my opinion though. If you like one track on it you're not guaranteed to like the others necessarily. Not that any of them are poor (although Moonchild get's a little weirder than I usually prefer), but I'm gonna guess you might prefer Red.

I do own every Crimson record. I do love them. The Wetton Years especially.

But come people!!!!!

YOU REALLY "BURN" ME UP!!!!

You're a disco inferno, Earl

;)

Hahaha!! Hope you are doing well Lorraine! I think about you a lot.

Some say I only like to date "The Trammps" of the world. lol

Kidding!!

Lorraine! I need your quick advice.

The entire world is on lockdown yet I am still online dating through eHarmony. I met a beautiful 35 year old blonde. She's amazing and sweet too. Our first date will hopefully be after May 3 but I am worried it will be pushed out to June 3.

We text and talk on the phone for hours and we FaceTime. She is so beautiful!! I haven't met anyone like this since my ex wife. It's incredible!!!!

• Like 1

But come people!!!!!

;)

Kidding!!

The entire world is on lockdown yet I am still online dating through eHarmony. I met a beautiful 35 year old blonde. She's amazing and sweet too. Our first date will hopefully be after May 3 but I am worried it will be pushed out to June 3.

We text and talk on the phone for hours and we FaceTime. She is so beautiful!! I haven't met anyone like this since my ex wife. It's incredible!!!!

Earl, you're always falling in love. :LOL:

What's the advice you need? therapy-session.jpg?fit=1920%2C1080&ssl=1

• Like 1

Love King Crimson. Don't know much about Deep Purple other than Hush

You don't know Smoke On The Water or Highway Star?

I forgot about Smoke On The Water. Thanks for reminding me. I hope I never have to hear the song again.

Never heard Highway Star.

Check out Robert Fripp's Diary - July 2004, where he comments about Ritchie Blackmore here.

Robert Fripp interview - Classic Rock Magazine - December 2014

King Crimson: 'Prog? It's A Prison'

And you worked with him (David Bowie) again in 1980 on Scary Monsters...

We were doing either

or It's No Game (
and
) and I said: "Any suggestions?" And David replied: "Ritchie Blackmore!" Because David isn't really a guitarist, he couldn't give me more of a ground plan than that, but I knew what he meant.

National Guitar Museum Magazine – December 1996

Ritchie Blackmore Interview: Deep Purple, Rainbow and Blackmore’s NightNight

Robert Fripp believes that all guitarists are in the wrong tuning.

Ritchie Blackmore: I have to say, Robert Fripp is incredible. I remember hearing In the Court of the Crimson King. To me, that was the first time I heard a guitar player play something that I couldn’t play. With my session background, it bothered me that I couldn’t catch the timing of it. You know, it’s that middle sections, with all the stops. Sometimes a very obvious thing will come along, and I can’t catch it. That’s why I do terrible in sessions sometimes. Maybe my subconscious didn’t want to pick it up.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

I enjoy both bands so I won't say one is better than the other but I like Purple more. I like their albums more and songs overall. Although obviously there's some Crimson albums that crush some Purple albums and the same with songs.
  • Like 1

But come people!!!!!

;)

Kidding!!

Hahaha! It's crazy right? You know my story. 21 faithful years with Wendy. Two great daughters. It failed. I feel like I am living my life in reverse. After divorce I am still lucky to meet so many women.

But perhaps it's me. I might not be ready for a serious relationship yet I want one again. I am picky Lorraine. Why not right?? Women have wanted to give me a baby. Three wanted marriage. I am flattered and I have a lot to give to a woman but I think it's me.

But this week I met Carly. I have feelings inside me already that I have never felt and we haven't even met in person yet but we do FaceTime and talk on the phone every night. She amazing. I don't care about age neither does she.

So take it one day at time?

She lives an hour away. I know in protocol I can't drive up to see here as we can only drive to work and to the supermarket. I was thinking about meeting her for a social distancing hike but I don't think so at this point in time. Sucks. Figures right? Timing is everything.

I'm a "Hard Loving Man" yet still like a "Child In Time." Some call me a "Speed King" but when it comes to falling in love again I'm just a "Living Wreck." Lol

Those are all songs off the Deep Purple album "In Rock."

Deep Purple makes King Crimson look like a Pink Princess. LOL!!

"Come Taste The Band"

"YOU FOOL NO ONE!!"

• Like 1

Colors!

I'd vote for Pink Floyd! But definitely not White Lion

Meanwhile, back at the question, I'm team Purple all the way.

Hahahaha!!!!!! WOW! In just in shock you mentioned White Lion! I love that band!! Timing is everything!! I actually have "MANE ATTRACTION" in my cd player tonight. Timing!!!!! VITO SHREDS!

• Like 1

But come people!!!!!

;)

Kidding!!

Hahaha! It's crazy right? You know my story. 21 faithful years with Wendy. Two great daughters. It failed. I feel like I am living my life in reverse. After divorce I am still lucky to meet so many women.

But perhaps it's me. I might not be ready for a serious relationship yet I want one again. I am picky Lorraine. Why not right?? Women have wanted to give me a baby. Three wanted marriage. I am flattered and I have a lot to give to a woman but I think it's me.

But this week I met Carly. I have feelings inside me already that I have never felt and we haven't even met in person yet but we do FaceTime and talk on the phone every night. She amazing. I don't care about age neither does she.

So take it one day at time?

She lives an hour away. I know in protocol I can't drive up to see here as we can only drive to work and to the supermarket. I was thinking about meeting her for a social distancing hike but I don't think so at this point in time. Sucks. Figures right? Timing is everything.

I'm a "Hard Loving Man" yet still like a "Child In Time." Some call me a "Speed King" but when it comes to falling in love again I'm just a "Living Wreck." Lol

Those are all songs off the Deep Purple album "In Rock."

Deep Purple makes King Crimson look like a Pink Princess. LOL!!

"Come Taste The Band"

"YOU FOOL NO ONE!!"

What happened to the Brazilian?

• Like 1

Purple across the board. If you had chosen any of the Coverdale Hughes era albums, the margin would have been greater.

I just don’t “get” Crimson.

Seeing as you don't get early Genesis either, I can't say I'm surprised, lol.

Purple's great! But I'm such a prog nerd at heart, Crimson never ceases to amaze me. I went ahead and voted for Red even though I've never heard all of In Rock. I've heard Machine Head and Made In Japan, as well as the studio cut of Child In Time (the Made In Japan version is better imo), so I feel pretty confident I'd still prefer Red even if In Rock is better than both of those.

I did vote Machine Head over ITCOTCK though. That record has some of my favorite Crimson songs, but being the birth of a genre isn't enough to make me love every minute of it. Can't say I adore Moonchild, and even the title track drags on for me sometimes.