Changing

Red3angel

Since Neil left I’ve actually got new respect for the albums I used to pass. I’m now a bigger fan of echo, bones, and presto. Those WERE my bottom feeders but to me now I rank their albums in a circle. No worst. No best. All great. Edited by Red3angel
  • Like 6

I came around on Bravado. I never used to think much of it but it turned out I'd just been hearing the lyric the wrong way round all this time. Everything else my opinion's didn't fluctuate that much, but everything did get an overall boost.
  • Like 3

I came around on Bravado. I never used to think much of it but it turned out I'd just been hearing the lyric the wrong way round all this time. Everything else my opinion's didn't fluctuate that much, but everything did get an overall boost.

Neil is unbelievable in the outro of Bravado. He's absolutely on fire without indulging; his feel is perfect.

I loved it 30 years ago and I still love it today.

The period 1979-1998 sounds much better to me today than it did a few years ago. Funny how our ears change depending on outside factors like deaths.

• Like 2

Since Neil left I’ve actually got new respect for the albums I used to pass. I’m now a bigger fan of echo, bones, and presto. Those WERE my bottom feeders but to me now I rank their albums in a circle. No worst. No best. All great.

Yeah, I'm preparing to give the final three albums another try. I feel like I didn't give them a fair shake first time around. I don't think I even finished Clockwork Angels.

So, I've never liked Red Lenses. I'm listening it to it now. Critically for the fist time in about 30 years.

Holy shit. His drumming on this song is incredible.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

So, I've never liked Red Lenses. I'm listening it to it now. Critically for the fist time in about 30 years.

Holy shit. His drumming on this song is incredible.

That's one of the songs that I just can't make up my mind on. Lyrically - its horrible (not the worst though). But musically its astounding and thats what keeps bringing me back to it. (And also whenever I listen to p/g I can't just skip 1 song) Neil's drumming is very incredible, and I've always grooved to that bassline. I can't really remember how the guitar part goes so that tells me it aint too special.

• Like 1

Show don’t tell popped up on my Spotify the other night and it’s an incredible song. Presto as a whole isn’t as bad as I’ve thought
  • Like 3

Show don’t tell popped up on my Spotify the other night and it’s an incredible song. Presto as a whole isn’t as bad as I’ve thought

IMO it's overall the strongest of their "pop" albums.

Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Scars, Available Light, the acoustic guitar in the title song, even the simple piano arpeggio in Red Tide -- it's all terrific.

And I love how Geddy learned how to sing with his chest voice instead of his head voice. Listen to the verses of Hand Over Fist for an example. He sounds so much better when he does that. "I feel my spirit resist, but I open up my fist" is a great moment from that song, and when Neil comes back in with that hard snare crack right after ... it's great. It's not revolutionary songwriting or anything but it's just SO professional well done.

• Like 3

I always skip Red Tide because of two things: the cheesy dated irritating synth stabs and the dated "its the late 80s and all rock bands have to start addressing social concerns such as AIDS or the environment in their songs" lyrics.

Funny story: Waaaaaay way back circa 1994 when the internet was still brand new I was in college and discussing Rush in some music chat room and someone said "Ugh, Rush is so irritating I don't like them" and I asked why and he or she quoted Red Tide "THIS IS NOT A FALSE ALARM THIS IS NOT A TEST" which I thought was an awfully deep cut for a non fan to reference instead of something more known and FM radio mainstream like Tom Sawyer, Spirit, etc

I always skip Red Tide because of two things: the cheesy dated irritating synth stabs and the dated "its the late 80s and all rock bands have to start addressing social concerns such as AIDS or the environment in their songs" lyrics.

Funny story: Waaaaaay way back circa 1994 when the internet was still brand new I was in college and discussing Rush in some music chat room and someone said "Ugh, Rush is so irritating I don't like them" and I asked why and he or she quoted Red Tide "THIS IS NOT A FALSE ALARM THIS IS NOT A TEST" which I thought was an awfully deep cut for a non fan to reference instead of something more known and FM radio mainstream like Tom Sawyer, Spirit, etc

Those synth stabs were the last dying gasps of the 80s. There's a couple more sprinkled around Presto.

That is hilarious that someone hates a band because of two lyrics in a deep cut. It would be like me saying that I hate the Rolling Stones because of a single lick that Keef played on the second chorus of side 2, track 4 of their 15th album. ;-)

Those synth stabs were the last dying gasps of the 80s. There's a couple more sprinkled around Presto.

That is hilarious that someone hates a band because of two lyrics in a deep cut. It would be like me saying that I hate the Rolling Stones because of a single lick that Keef played on the second chorus of side 2, track 4 of their 15th album. ;-)

Hey, that one's a hit single! :P

IMO it's overall the strongest of their "pop" albums.

Show Don't Tell, The Pass, Scars, Available Light, the acoustic guitar in the title song, even the simple piano arpeggio in Red Tide -- it's all terrific.

And I love how Geddy learned how to sing with his chest voice instead of his head voice. Listen to the verses of Hand Over Fist for an example. He sounds so much better when he does that. "I feel my spirit resist, but I open up my fist" is a great moment from that song, and when Neil comes back in with that hard snare crack right after ... it's great. It's not revolutionary songwriting or anything but it's just SO professional well done.

:goodone:

I came on board with Rush in 78 with Hemispheres and eagerly awaited each new release.By the 90s I was really hanging for each new release.I really love Presto through to TFE. and I play these albums a lot.Vapour Trails was spoilt by mastering loudness whatever it is .However I have just finally ordered the remix which I have in about a week which I will sit down and give it a real listen.I just feel those 90s are very under appreciated because there is some great songwriting and performances.No it’s not By Tor or 2112 but I am glad they changed and and didn’t churn out the same thing over and over.
  • Like 1