Bob vs. Bob (Dylan vs. Marley)

Choose one  

15 members have voted

1. 1. artist

2. 2. landmark album

3. 3. another landmark album

• Highway 61 Revisited
    • Catch A Fire

Funny, just today Bob Marley was played on the radio and I thought to myself that I really don't enjoy his stuff anymore. And over the years I've come to enjoy Dylan more and more.

So Dylan.

• Like 1

Personally I've got a better connection with Dylan's music, but Marley is great.

I am the opposite. Marley blows Dylan away. Bob is a great writer but his vocals are just horrific.

I remember seeing Bob Dylan open for Aerosmith in Concord California. I didn't understand the double bill at all.

I am glad I saw him once in my life, but at the time I wanted to cut my fuckking ears off with scissors.

• Like 1

Neither one

I love Marley's "Legend" album only for the reason for when things were great with my marriage and our girls were little, when we would go to Maui for summer vacation we would always rent a jeep and listen to Bob Marley as we explored the island. Incredible memories.

On the Road To Hana there are like 200 one lane bridges. When no cars were behind me I would pretend to stall of the little bridge and pretend to be Indian Jones. My girls loved it!!!

• Like 2

Neither one

I love Marley's "Legend" album only for the reason for when things were great with my marriage and our girls were little, when we would go to Maui for summer vacation we would always rent a jeep and listen to Bob Marley as we explored the island. Incredible memories.

On the Road To Hana there are like 200 one lane bridges. When no cars were behind me I would pretend to stall of the little bridge and pretend to be Indian Jones. My girls loved it!!!

Hey Earl, what happened to your Brazilian chick?

Very tough one for me.

For the longest time on my other special shelf next to Rush were my Marley and Dylan cds. These days, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull have joined the Bobs on that other special shelf.

Anyway, lyrically nobody on the planet beats Dylan. Nobody. And he’s got tons of songs that make me think. I’m still thinking about some of them. Marley though has a bigger impact on my mood. And he can affect me immediately whatever mood I’m in. Vocally, Marley easily surpasses Dylan.

It’s not easy at all but I’d have to give the edge to Marley.

I’m not sure what my top 10 tunes for each would be. But if I pitted the 10 randomly against each other I’d probably have a score of Marley (6 or 7) over Dylan (4 or 3).

:blaze:

• Like 1

Personally I've got a better connection with Dylan's music, but Marley is great.

I am the opposite. Marley blows Dylan away. Bob is a great writer but his vocals are just horrific.

I remember seeing Bob Dylan open for Aerosmith in Concord California. I didn't understand the double bill at all.

I am glad I saw him once in my life, but at the time I wanted to cut my fuckking ears off with scissors.

Bob Dylan opening for Aerosmith? Yeah that would only make sense to a promoter who knows little about rock music. Gee, what a weird combo, they're polar opposites.

• Like 1

Neither one

Hey Earl, what happened to your Brazilian chick?

Hahaha! You are funny Lorraine.

The "Wild Rose" and I are texting right now. She is dying to see me but she lives in Oakland Ca, and I am NOT going to risk it and drive to Oakland thanks to the Coronavirus.

I am very serious about social distancing. The last thing I want to do is go out on a date and do what? Nowhere to go.

Zoe my 23 year old lives here with me. I wouldn't have Rose come over here either.

I told her that we can date again when this thing blows over. Well she's pissed. lol

To quote a great Thin Lizzy song she is a "Wild One." She's over the top but she is fun, passionate and has a lot of energy. To quote a RUSH song, we have explosive "Chemistry."

"Only Time Will Tell."

Love,

ASIA

Very tough one for me.

For the longest time on my other special shelf next to Rush were my Marley and Dylan cds. These days, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull have joined the Bobs on that other special shelf.

Anyway, lyrically nobody on the planet beats Dylan. Nobody. And he’s got tons of songs that make me think. I’m still thinking about some of them. Marley though has a bigger impact on my mood. And he can affect me immediately whatever mood I’m in. Vocally, Marley easily surpasses Dylan.

It’s not easy at all but I’d have to give the edge to Marley.

I’m not sure what my top 10 tunes for each would be. But if I pitted the 10 randomly against each other I’d probably have a score of Marley (6 or 7) over Dylan (4 or 3).

:blaze:

That's a great way to put it. Dylan makes you think, but Marley makes you feel. Not that neither one ever does the other, but that's what each of them is best at.

• Like 1

Bob Dylan opening for Aerosmith? Yeah that would only make sense to a promoter who knows little about rock music. Gee, what a weird combo, they're polar opposites.

Totally buddy.

It made absolutely no sense. No one in that crowd could believe it. Everyone around me was complaining.

• Like 1

Totally buddy.

It made absolutely no sense. No one in that crowd could believe it. Everyone around me was complaining.

If they're were any Dylan fans there, I imagine they'd want the bill the other way around, lol.

Totally buddy.

If they're were any Dylan fans there, I imagine they'd want the bill the other way around, lol.

Hahaha! For sure! To be honest I didn't see any Dylan fans that night. It was a surreal moment in music history. Again, I am glad I did see him once.

• Like 1

Both Bob Dylan and Aerosmith are on the Columbia Records artist roster list.

Warner Brothers had Christopher Cross open for Fleetwood Mac, who were both on the same label.

Also, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Beck did a tour together and both were on the Epic Records label.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

Good point.

I remember buying a Bob Dylan album in 1990 I think because Stevie Ray Vaughan was on a song. Couldn't stand that record. "Couldn't Stand The Weather!" Now you are talking!!

Neat, but it doesn't mean they ought to play together. I think the Cars and Metallica were both on Elektra.