Rock stars you met in person

Earl's Pat Travers story inspired me to create this thread. If you ever met a famous musician, pass along your story (and Earl, maybe re-tell yours here?).

I met the guys in Jethro Tull in 1994. My ex won front row tix to their concert at the Open Aire Amphitheater in San Diego on the campus of SDSU from the local rock station KGB. Along with the front row seats, we got to enter like 3 hours before the show and go to the large, open backstage area and meet the guys in the band. Ian was and extremely personable guy though part of that might be because he took a shining to my ex-wife (she was and is quite attractive). Seriously he did seem pretty genuine in his enjoyment of the fans. It didn't hurt that none of us (there were like 4 winners of 2 tix each) fawned all over him. Martin didn't interact with us much and in fact was only out in the area about half the time we were there. Doane Perry was also extremely friendly and cracked a lot of jokes. The other guys I remember little about.

The other cool thing we got to do is watch the soundcheck. They played none of their songs but rather several old blues tunes. (Zeppelin used to do soundchecks playing Elvis songs so not unheard of).

• Like 3

The majority of the ones I've met are lesser known legacy Canadian musicians and some non-Canadians well.

I've met Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson, Ian Thomas, Murray McLauchlan, Marc Jordan, and Cindy Church (solo artists and members of Canadian supergroup Lunch At Allen's), Mark Holmes of Platinum Blonde, Susan Jacks of The Poppy Family, Jeff Jones of Ocean and Tom Cochrane & Red Rider, Tom Cochrane gave me a high-five from the stage, Bill Henderson of Chilliwack, Neil Osbourne of 54-40, Ben Mink (former member of FM and collaborator with RUSH and k.d. lang) and Colin Linden (solo Canadian bluesman and sideman for Bruce Cockburn, The Band, and member of Blackie and the Rodeo Kings).

I've also met Eric Johnson, jazz guitar legend Mike Stern, and David Lindley (guitarist and sideman for Jackson Browne).

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

My list is short sadly. I have only met Fish (ex-singer from Marillion) and Dweezil Zappa (Frank Zappa's son). And I have talked to Justin Hawkins (singer of The Darkness). But not sure if that counts, because he was standing on stage, and I was standing first row.

I had the opportunity to met Lita Ford once. But I was stupid and did not go, I regret it so much today! I will probably never have another opportunity.

• Like 1

My list is short sadly. I have only met Fish (ex-singer from Marillion) and Dweezil Zappa (Frank Zappa's son). And I have talked to Justin Hawkins (singer of The Darkness). But not sure if that counts, because he was standing on stage, and I was standing first row.

I had the opportunity to met Lita Ford once. But I was stupid and did not go, I regret it so much today! I will probably never have another opportunity.

you met Fish?? Did he tower over you?

Well besides Geddy and Alex, I’ve met Tommy Shaw twice at the bus after the show, and he was so nice. and Gowan, who was lovely. And then I met Will Evankovich, who produced and cowrote Styx’s latest album The mission. He also plays with the latest iteration of The Guess Who.

I also have met and sort of know Tom Sharpe who used to play with Dennis DeYoung’s band. He’s also drummer for Mannheim steamroller. And after their winter concert a few years ago I hung out with him and also Glen Smith who plays bass for Mannheim on their tour bus. it was pretty cool.

and I met Kings X at a meet and greet after the show about four years ago. they were pretty laid-back and chill.

I think that’s it.

Edited by Laurabw
  • Like 5

Geddy, 38 Special, Peter Frampton, BTO, 1993 lineup of Bad Company, Stephen Stills, Stu Cook and Doug Clifford of CCR, Elliot Easton from the Cars, the Proclaimers, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, Chuck Mangione, Buck Dharma, Firefall.

If it counts I also took some college classes with Rivers Cuomo of Weezer. He was still a high school senior with big metal hair then.

• Like 1

I met Ronnie James Dio at a record store signing in 1998. He was playing a show here that night and the signing was that afternoon. You could buy a Dio CD in the store or bring one item of your own for him to sign. I only shook his hand and told him how much I love his music. He said "Thank you! That means so much to me" Then he asked me my name and signed the CD I brought and that was it. My older brother went with me but didn't bring anything to sign. He just wanted to meet the man and shake his hand. Dio seemed a bit surprised that he didn't have anything for him but was still appreciative of the fact he waited in line just to shake hands with him.

Dio was a very nice person and was genuinely interested in talking to the fans. While waiting in line, I noticed he treated everyone like he was meeting an old friend he hadn't seen in a while. Even though most of the people were no doubt complete strangers to him.

• Like 7

I met Ronnie James Dio at a record store signing in 1998. He was playing a show here that night and the signing was that afternoon. You could buy a Dio CD in the store or bring one item of your own for him to sign. I only shook his hand and told him how much I love his music. He said "Thank you! That means so much to me" Then he asked me my name and signed the CD I brought and that was it. My older brother went with me but didn't bring anything to sign. He just wanted to meet the man and shake his hand. Dio seemed a bit surprised that he didn't have anything for him but was still appreciative of the fact he waited in line just to shake hands with him.

Dio was a very nice person and was genuinely interested in talking to the fans. While waiting in line, I noticed he treated everyone like he was meeting an old friend he hadn't seen in a while. Even though most of the people were no doubt complete strangers to him.

That's the way to be if you can. What a wonderful guy.

• Like 2

I met him too in 1986 (I may have already said).

• Like 1

That's the way to be if you can. What a wonderful guy.

Yes, just a genuinely friendly person who could talk to anyone. He wasn't being fake, it's who he was. I also understand those who are like Neil and are not comfortable meeting strangers. I won't put down anyone for being true to who they are.

• Like 1

Yours is better because it was a chance meeting. Mine was prearranged lol.

• Like 1

Yours is better because it was a chance meeting. Mine was prearranged lol.

Yeah they're always better but they either happen or they don't. I met AC/DC earlier that year (mostly Brian Johnson), it wasn't prearranged but we knew which hotel they were staying at and that they'd be in the bar.

• Like 1

Dennis Dunaway from Alice Cooper and Todd Rundgren

Not very impressive today, but it was at the time. :codger:

I still say that's impressive. He's awesome!

• Like 1

Dennis Dunaway from Alice Cooper and Todd

Not very impressive today, but it was at the time. :codger:

Oh yes, I met Todd too! And Kasim.

Edited by Laurabw

Also passed a joint up to the band Head East from the front row at the Paramount in Seattle in '77 when they opened for Atlanta Rhythm Section. Everyone in the band had a hit. Fukking awesome!
  • Like 1

nobody famous or very old, but I've met members of sleep, voivod, pentagram, dream theater, dinosaur jr, plenty lesser-known artists I'm forgetting. I was supposed to meet steve hackett but we know what happened there. so my most famous rocker would have been the least famous member of genesis, the guy who played on all the records that no normal person ever listened to

Met Tommy victor from prong after a show.. my friend was interviewing him for his online site.. they covered a kiss tune during the set.. in all the excitement of the show, I forgot what tune it was, asked Tommy politely what was the kiss tune you covered again? And he barked at me that everyone knows that song!! Guy was an uptight asshole

Ronnie made it a point to be cool with fans after witnessing Blackmore continually not do the same.

• Like 3

Pete Townsend, John Entwhistle. Pete was tired that night, John was a true gentleman. Met Simon Phillips the same night, had a little talk about his time in Judas Priest, before he ran off to do a small club show (after playing with The Who at Giants Stadium).

Everyone from Twisted Sister, except for Dee - at a record signing. I also met AJ Pero 2 other times, just out on the street and in a store. He was very cool and kind.

I'd known a semi famous guitar player when we were kids living on the same street. Haven't seen the guy in 25 years, but he's pretty responsible for me loving metal. He was an amazing player by the time we were 16, and he and a dear friend used to jam away in the bedrooms and garages. Like listening to the guys from Metallica - right there. I'm not going to say who it is. He was in a major band for a long time, and is now involved in projects.

I met John Petrucci one evening in 2009. He was out on the road by himself and stopped at an overlook in NJ. I was there taking photos. He walked up and asked me the way to the Atlantic Highlands. I told him. I thought twice about mentioning that I knew who he was. Didn't. The guy was traveling alone, that meant he wanted to be left alone.

I did meet DT at some meet and greets. Post-Portnoy. John and John were both very nice. Petrucci one time suggested that I travel to see the band in Italy. I probably should have done that.

Those are the major ones.

Edited by grep
  • Like 3

Earl's Pat Travers story inspired me to create this thread. If you ever met a famous musician, pass along your story (and Earl, maybe re-tell yours here?).

I met the guys in Jethro Tull in 1994. My ex won front row tix to their concert at the Open Aire Amphitheater in San Diego on the campus of SDSU from the local rock station KGB. Along with the front row seats, we got to enter like 3 hours before the show and go to the large, open backstage area and meet the guys in the band. Ian was and extremely personable guy though part of that might be because he took a shining to my ex-wife (she was and is quite attractive). Seriously he did seem pretty genuine in his enjoyment of the fans. It didn't hurt that none of us (there were like 4 winners of 2 tix each) fawned all over him. Martin didn't interact with us much and in fact was only out in the area about half the time we were there. Doane Perry was also extremely friendly and cracked a lot of jokes. The other guys I remember little about.

The other cool thing we got to do is watch the soundcheck. They played none of their songs but rather several old blues tunes. (Zeppelin used to do soundchecks playing Elvis songs so not unheard of).

Hey Driven! Great Thread! I don't think anyone on here has ever asked this question well since 2006.

I will get back to you. I need to think.

My buddy Dan who I go to many rock shows with would blow all your minds with who he's met.

But I think some of you will like my list.

I will write it tonight.......................