Which Rush song best demonstrates Lifeson's variety in guitar playing?

Texas King

La Villa

hard to beat that.

I was going with maybe 2112 or Cygnus II. The longer epics have more room to display his wares.

yeah la villa is the most likely suspect

but what about something like the spirit of radio? i am thinking a blend of reggae riffs with a ballsy solo.

• Like 2

This is unconventional, but as far as Alex's range of pre-80s sounds is concerned, I think Cinderella Man actually presents a lot of sides of his playing very efficiently. Heavy riffing, Townsend-esque rhythm playing, atmospherics and sound effects, the totally psychedelic wah-wah solo! Now of course he had whole new dimensions he began exploring around PeW, but I'm hard pressed to think of a song that really encompasses his full range of 70s and 80s playing without really leaning more one way or the other. Maybe Red Barchetta, maybe.
  • Like 1

La Villa

La Villa and Freewill

Xanadu surely must be in the mix here. atmospheric build up, killer rhythm riffs, solo blah blah blah

was there another song with more double- double neck goodness?

Natural Science, maybe?

Yes to all of the above. Natural Science is a killer. Right up there with La Villa

• Like 1

LONG PIECES:

La Villa Strangiato is off the chain, obviously, showcasing all of his styles.

But also 2112 for that delicate "Discovery" interlude. I play that part sometimes on a classical and nobody recognizes it.

SHORT PIECES:

Red Barchetta has pretty much every guitar element that made him famous.

But not YYZ. It doesn't have those famous arpeggios.

I'd have to closely listen to Signals and Presto again, to find more finalists.

• Like 1

This is unconventional, but as far as Alex's range of pre-80s sounds is concerned, I think Cinderella Man actually presents a lot of sides of his playing very efficiently. Heavy riffing, Townsend-esque rhythm playing, atmospherics and sound effects, the totally psychedelic wah-wah solo! Now of course he had whole new dimensions he began exploring around PeW, but I'm hard pressed to think of a song that really encompasses his full range of 70s and 80s playing without really leaning more one way or the other. Maybe Red Barchetta, maybe.

unconventional perhaps but to got to agree for a shorter song. another short song where he shines is making memories.

• Like 1

I don’t like the guitar solo in the Analogue Kid.Sure it’s full of fire but to me it just sounds throwaway and doesn’t say anything.Just myo.