Sam Raimi interview!

Jack Aubrey

Movieweb sez:

Spider-man 3: Sam Raimi shocked press this weekend when he said that Columbia Pictures intends for Spider-Man 3 to be the final film in the series. Apparently, Amy Pascal has made it clear that she wants a definitive finale. There would be a lot to cover to tie up all the loose threads, but at this point Raimi won't even reveal which villains he is considering. If you think that it must be Hobgoblin, to conclude Harry Osborn's arc, Raimi suggested another possibility.

"It's possible that he's been hating Spider-Man all these years because he believed that he killed his father, an innocent, fine man whose love he finally started to appreciate, or the father began to appreciate his love rather," Raimi said. "And so he thought that Spider-Man killed this good man and was shocked to learn that his own best friend had betrayed him, never revealing that he was Spider-Man. So you think that would be the case, but when he comes upon the lair of his father and realizes that his father was actually this mass murderer, the whole truth is revealed to him and he may come to the conclusion, he may come to the realization that his father was an evil man and finally had to be destroyed. I'm not sure what's in Harry's mind. I'm trying to figure that out right now. It's like if you blamed someone for the death of your father all these years and someone who was supposedly this hero, vigilante, and then you realized that your father was a mass murderer, it might change things."

That would deviate from the comic books, but Raimi could justify it.

"As much of a responsibility as I have to the fans of the comic books, I also have an equal responsibility to be true to the intelligence of the character as portrayed in the Spider-Man movies. And Harry's a smart guy, even though he's sometimes weak and sometimes driven by insecurities and desire to live up to his father's image. He is an intelligent man, and so I can't deny that possibility."

Right now, Raimi is working according to Pascal's plan, though expressed that he would continue making Spider-Man films were he allowed to.

"One thing that Amy Pascal told me was that she wants to make this a proper ending to the Spider-Man saga. I'd like to keep directing Spider-Man movies but I think she's thinking that the audience feels they want to see one more and no more. They want to have a proper ending to the story now. So I think maybe she's right, and so I'm approaching it under her guidance and that's how I'm trying to think of this film as the end."

Sam Raimi on Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash...

Sam Raimi and producing partner Robert Tapert kyboshed those rumors about a proposed Freddy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash movie, saying clearly, "That won't happen." Raimi elaborated on why he didn't feel it appropriate to bring Ash into the battle royale.

"I have great respect for those franchises," Raimi said. "I didn't want to be in a position where I was protecting Ash, the character that I want to eventually make another movie with one day, protecting him and not allowing the director to do what he felt he had to do. I didn't want to be in a weird position like that. I have a great deal or respect for Sean Cunningham. I think he's a brilliant filmmaker. He made some classics. I just didn't think it was a winning great situation for anybody."

That said, Raimi could still speculate on the winner of the proposed fight.

"I don't know, can you kill Freddy or Jason? I think Bruce Campbell woulda' kicked their asses. First I think they would have had their way with him in probably 80 minutes of punishing him which I would have enjoyed."

There were early talks on the project but Variety published a report that the film was a done deal before Raimi and Tapert were ready. Pushed to decide, Raimi did not feel confident enough to lend his character.

"I wanted to give the fans what they want with that. It's hard to know what the fans want with that, if that was the proper treatment. I just don't know. I don't think so. As fun as that sounded, I think they're in two different worlds, the Evil Dead and Jason/Freddy. Maybe another time, that would be a better combination."