Driven/Ghost Rider From Rio

Lorraine

For whatever reason, Driven and Ghost Rider from Rush In Rio kept going through my mind today, and I really do feel so incredibly sad now hearing especially those songs and from that tour because, more than anything else, they remind me so much of Neil's "resurrection" from his tragedy back then.

Just wanted to share that with all of you, and those two songs too which contain some of his best, in my opinion, lyrics:

http://youtu.be/Xadjgnei7do

:musicnote:Driven up and down in circles

Skidding down a road of black ice

Staring in and out storm windows

Driven to a fool's paradise

It's my turn to drive

But it's my turn to drive

Driven to the margin of error

Driven to the edge of control

Driven to the margin of terror

Driven to the edge of a deep, dark hole

Driven day and night in circles

Spinning like a whirlwind of leaves

Stealing in and out back alleys

Driven to another den of thieves

Driven in...Driven to the edge

Driven out...On the thin end of the wedge

Driven off...By things I've never seen

Driven on...By the road to somewhere I've never been

The road unwinds towards me

What was there is gone

The road unwinds before me

And I go riding on

But it's my turn to drive :musicnote:

• Like 6

http://youtu.be/su3zwzmUrxo

The intro still gives me the chills. :wub:

I hope you are finally at peace, Neil. :rose:

:musicnote: Pack up all those phantoms

Shoulder that invisible load

Keep on riding North and West

Haunting that wilderness road

Like a ghost rider

Carry all those phantoms

Through bitter wind and stormy skies

From the desert to the mountain

From the lowest low to the highest high

Like a ghost rider

Keep on riding North and West

Then circle South and East

Show me beauty but there is no peace

For the ghost rider

Shadows on the road behind

Shadows on the road ahead

Nothing can stop you now

There's a shadow on the road behind

There's a shadow on the road ahead

Nothing can stop you now

Sunrise in the mirror

Lightens that invisible load

Riding on a nameless quest

Haunting that wilderness road

Like a ghost rider

Just an escape artist

Racing against the night

A wandering hermit

Racing toward the light

From the white sands

To the canyon lands

To the redwood stands

To the barren lands

Sunrise on the road behind

Sunset on the road ahead

There's nothing to stop you now

Nothing can stop you now :musicnote:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

For whatever reason, Driven and Ghost Rider from Rush In Rio kept going through my mind today, and I really do feel so incredibly sad now hearing especially those songs and from that tour because, more than anything else, they remind me so much of Neil's "resurrection" from his tragedy back then.

Just wanted to share that with all of you, and those two songs too which contain some of his best, in my opinion, lyrics:

http://youtu.be/Xadjgnei7do

:musicnote:Driven up and down in circles

Skidding down a road of black ice

Staring in and out storm windows

Driven to a fool's paradise

It's my turn to drive

Driven to the margin of error

Driven to the edge of control

Driven to the margin of terror

Driven to the edge of a deep, dark hole

Driven day and night in circles

Spinning like a whirlwind of leaves

Stealing in and out back alleys

Driven to another den of thieves

Driven in...Driven to the edge

Driven out...On the thin end of the wedge

Driven off...By things I've never seen

Driven on...By the road to somewhere I've never been

The road unwinds towards me

What was there is gone

The road unwinds before me

And I go riding on

But it's my turn to drive :musicnote:

I'm not the biggest fan of Rush in Rio. I have the album of course but I don't keep it with the rest of the RUSH albums. I have with some Buckethead ones that I don't listen to much, under my Judas Priest Firepower mug!

I've been transcribing the Rush footage from 2007 that was shot for my film so I can put the full interview on Amazon Prime, and I feel such grief every time they talk about Neil because it strikes me anew how much they must miss him.
  • Like 3

My wife and I took our teenage niece to see Rush on their R40 tour.She had really loved the song Ghost Rider she heard in the car with my wife,and one of Neils :Neil: drum solo's that she saw me watching at our house.She loved the show,but wished they had played GR.

Great song indeed.

And Driven is still one of my all time favs.

• Like 2

They were all so happy on that tour. Rush In Rio was always my favorite concert dvd, but it is now very sad to watch it.

I don't think I can watch R40 though at the present time. Maybe a few months down the road

I doubt Neil was happy during Vapor Trails Tour, he still had a hard time. Geddy said so during a interview from that time.

You have never seen the R40?

I wish I enjoyed Ghost Rider (the song) more than I do. Its not bad but it loses my interest after a few minutes. I think it needed some tweaks in the writing process although if I recall they did completely rewrite and re record it during the VT sessions
  • Like 2

I realize Rush In Rio is not the most technically well-mastered recording of their live catalog. I'm sure it had to do with the conditions they had to deal with. It was a bit of a miracle that the show came off at all (see Boys In Brazil documentary). And I don't claim to be even close to an expert on all of the live, recorded performances, but Rush In Rio was so emotional on multiple levels. If I could go back to any concert in the history of rock, it would be that one.

Plus, as Dial Up Diva mentions, there were many excellent performances there and some Vapor Trails songs such as Earthshine, Ghost Rider and Secret Touch all gained "new life" and a second/third look by Rush fans.

• Like 1

I've been transcribing the Rush footage from 2007 that was shot for my film so I can put the full interview on Amazon Prime, and I feel such grief every time they talk about Neil because it strikes me anew how much they must miss him.

That's great GeddysMullet. I look forward to seeing this on Optimus Prime, er I mean Amazon Prime.

I wish I enjoyed Ghost Rider (the song) more than I do. Its not bad but it loses my interest after a few minutes. I think it needed some tweaks in the writing process although if I recall they did completely rewrite and re record it during the VT sessions

I really like Ghost Rider, but yeah - it was marred out of the gate by the production. Remix is WAY better, but it could've used some re-arrangement. I still dig it though, and Vapor Trail.

I really like Ghost Rider, but yeah - it was marred out of the gate by the production. Remix is WAY better, but it could've used some re-arrangement. I still dig it though, and Vapor Trail.

Glad you like the song but I can't agree on the remix, it was neutered IMHO by that redux. Like the punch of the original... :D

I realize Rush In Rio is not the most technically well-mastered recording of their live catalog. I'm sure it had to do with the conditions they had to deal with. It was a bit of a miracle that the show came off at all (see Boys In Brazil documentary). And I don't claim to be even close to an expert on all of the live, recorded performances, but Rush In Rio was so emotional on multiple levels. If I could go back to any concert in the history of rock, it would be that one.

Plus, as Dial Up Diva mentions, there were many excellent performances there and some Vapor Trails songs such as Earthshine, Ghost Rider and Secret Touch all gained "new life" and a second/third look by Rush fans.

That crowd was amazing and the energy they gave off seemed to get the guys rev'd up too. I still love that they sang along with YYZ :D

• Like 1