If Coronavirus isn't enough, let's have an earthquake!

Rhyta

Today was a horrible day. Was awakened at 7:30 am by an earthquake- 5.7, the house rolling like a boat on a wave. It seemed to last a long time and I was thinking to myself, oh no hope this isn't the big one. We have a big fault, the Wasatch Fault twisting through our city. All throughout my childhood, teachers were always saying that we were due for a big one. So I was relieved when it stopped and the house was still standing and no big cracks in the wall. I was shaking all over and tuned into one of our local stations. After 20 minutes, they lost power and went off the air. Checked another station and found out that it had caused some damage to buildings downtown and a mobile home park was made uninhabitable. The airport was closed due to water lines breaking and so on. Funny thing, none of the national channels seemed to know or care. Spent the day riding out aftershocks, some rather strong (4.5 & 4.6). Still nothing on the cable news only the locals. I guess we are living in a crazy time when an earthquake doesn't even make the news. Guess no one died so they weren't interested. Utah, who cares? But let our representative test positive for COVID 19, now we get a mention.

While things were crashing all over, our cats scattered. My hubby and I got up and saw things were in good condition, just a few little trinkets got broken. After things calmed down a bit, the furries began to make an appearance, with the exception of our Maddie (named for the song Madrigal). She has always been a little standoffish so I figured she was hiding out downstairs under the futon. Decided to check on her and could not find her. We turned the house upside down and nothing. I have called her, looked in every conceivable place but she is gone. I have to assume she snuck outside when we went to check for any damage to the house. She has never been outside and has never tried to slip out the door before. I have walked all over the street and called but no luck. I think I have to accept we have lost her. Wishing we had microchipped her but never saw the need since she wasn't ever going to go out, being a purebred and a former show cat.

She looks alot like the guy in my siggy, she is a blue British Shorthair too but smaller. Just wasn't ready for this, it really hurts . :|

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

I live in California. Shocked to read this.

A quake in Utah?

The end of the world for humanity is here. The earth is fine.

Thanks to the Virus the weather in China has clear blue skies.

The shit toilet water canals in Venice are crystal clear again.

Mother Earth is Real.

Wake up Humanity.

• Like 1

We have a big fault running through the Salt Lake Valley, the Wasatch Fault. It is due for a big one but at least this wasn't it.

One other ironic note, Angel Moroni on the SL Temple dropped his trumpet...don't know what that means but it is probably not good. Also they had just begun retrofitting the building to better withstand earthquakes. :oops:

• Like 1

Today was a horrible day. Was awakened at 7:30 am by an earthquake- 7.5, the house rolling like a boat on a wave. It seemed to last a long time and I was thinking to myself, oh no hope this isn't the big one. We have a big fault, the Wasatch Fault twisting through our city. All throughout my childhood, teachers were always saying that we were due for a big one. So I was relieved when it stopped and the house was still standing and no big cracks in the wall. I was shaking all over and tuned into one of our local stations. After 20 minutes, they lost power and went off the air. Checked another station and found out that it had caused some damage to buildings downtown and a mobile home park was made uninhabitable. The airport was closed due to water lines breaking and so on. Funny thing, none of the national channels seemed to know or care. Spent the day riding out aftershocks, some rather strong (4.5 & 4.6). Still nothing on the cable news only the locals. I guess we are living in a crazy time when an earthquake doesn't even make the news. Guess no one died so they weren't interested. Utah, who cares? But let our representative test positive for COVID 19, now we get a mention.

While things were crashing all over, our cats scattered. My hubby and I got up and saw things were in good condition, just a few little trinkets got broken. After things calmed down a bit, the furries began to make an appearance, with the exception of our Maddie (named for the song Madrigal). She has always been a little standoffish so I figured she was hiding out downstairs under the futon. Decided to check on her and could not find her. We turned the house upside down and nothing. I have called her, looked in every conceivable place but she is gone. I have to assume she snuck outside when we went to check for any damage to the house. She has never been outside and has never tried to slip out the door before. I have walked all over the street and called but no luck. I think I have to accept we have lost her. Wishing we had microchipped her but never saw the need since she wasn't ever going to go out, being a purebred and a former show cat.

She looks alot like the guy in my siggy, she is a blue British Shorthair too but smaller. Just wasn't ready for this, it really hurts . :|

Glad everyone is safe.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your cat, Rhyta. Really hope you find her. We lost a cat a few years ago when we let him go outside and he never came back. It's extra hard not knowing for sure.
  • Like 1

Today was a horrible day. Was awakened at 7:30 am by an earthquake- 7.5, the house rolling like a boat on a wave. It seemed to last a long time and I was thinking to myself, oh no hope this isn't the big one. We have a big fault, the Wasatch Fault twisting through our city. All throughout my childhood, teachers were always saying that we were due for a big one. So I was relieved when it stopped and the house was still standing and no big cracks in the wall. I was shaking all over and tuned into one of our local stations. After 20 minutes, they lost power and went off the air. Checked another station and found out that it had caused some damage to buildings downtown and a mobile home park was made uninhabitable. The airport was closed due to water lines breaking and so on. Funny thing, none of the national channels seemed to know or care. Spent the day riding out aftershocks, some rather strong (4.5 & 4.6). Still nothing on the cable news only the locals. I guess we are living in a crazy time when an earthquake doesn't even make the news. Guess no one died so they weren't interested. Utah, who cares? But let our representative test positive for COVID 19, now we get a mention.

I'm glad you are safe, I thought of you when I heard the news! Has Maddie come back yet? Sometimes they go off for a few days and then return; I hope she will be back!

We lived in Salt Lake for a year on the East Bench. Our kids were young at the time and their school (Beacon Heights) was supposedly a block away from a main fault line. They had to make earthquake kits with water, snacks, a can of tuna and a flashlight in a shoebox in case they were stuck at school. They had a lot of fun the last day of school eating all the snacks and waving the flashlights around, but yesterday it didn't seem so playful; we all remembered that yesterday when we heard the news. I'm so glad your house is OK. Fingers crossed for your fur baby to return! :hug2:

• Like 1

Good News!! I found Maddie this evening in the basement, the little stinker must have found a great hidey hole :D I am so relieved and feel so much better because I knew she couldn't have slipped outside but just couldn't get her to come out. Guess now that things have calmed down she felt safe again :clap:

We still are having aftershocks, there was a 3.0 this morning, hubby felt it when he got up for work. I was so exhausted I slept through it. Now I am going to update my 48 hour emergency kit and be ready for worse, it is only a matter of time before it happens. :scared:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

Good News!! I found Maddie this evening in the basement, the little stinker must have found a great hidey hole :D I am so relieved and feel so much better because I knew she couldn't have slipped outside but just couldn't get her to come out. Guess now that things have calmed down she felt safe again :clap:

We still are having aftershocks, there was a 3.0 this morning, hubby felt it when he got up for work. I was so exhausted I slept through it. Now I am going to update my 48 emergency kit and be ready for worse, it is only a matter of time before it happens. :scared:

:7up: :7up: :ebert: :ebert: :clap: :clap: I'm so glad to here that she has come up from the basement and is safe! Sending prayers that there are no more for awhile.

• Like 1

OP transposed the numbers, it was a 5.7 magnitude.

I live in SLC in a 1925 unreinforced masonry dwelling. The kind that will get leveled in a stronger quake like we’re due for. I was up for two minutes, stretching in bed, felt the shake, and immediately knew “here it is, it’s time”. My plan has always been to get under the bed during an earthquake. I did not follow that plan. I ran out of the house in record time.

Luckily, it was a moderate quake, not the large one we’re waiting for. It wasn’t fun. A buddy was at the epicenter and he had even less fun. And what a rude week for nature to pick!

My senior project in Civil Engineering four years ago dealt exclusively with the upcoming “Big One”. With ~150,000 vulnerable structures, there are estimates of 2000-5000 fatalities once it hits.

If everyone’s got something they irrationally worry about in life, it’s earthquakes for me.

• Like 1

A big :oops: 5.7 is right, otherwise it would have been a big one! I was so frazzled when I wrote that, didn't catch my mistake.

That One Guy is right, it will be a deadly one if it hits that high. Once again, my mistake :blush:

Around 1979/80, there was an earthquake in the Cincinnati area. Around 5 on the scale. I lived right across the river in KY. Sitting at home, watching TV, then all of a sudden......everything was shaking! I looked at Ma, Ma looked at me, and we both said "WOW......"

I don't think anyone in that area knew about the very old fault line. We were in total disbelief!!

• Like 1

Had a 3.9 aftershock last night at 7pm. This is normal for aftershocks to continue for weeks after but I thought they were supposed to decrease in strength, crazy. Sitting on the couch and then I am rocking side to side, very bizarre. :eh:

Looking at USGS site, we had a 2.9 this morning. Also Nevada and California having some over the last few days. Guess this is normal but most of the shocks usually are so small you don't feel them. Now its like I am hypervigilant and waiting for them.

Edited by Rhyta

Imagine if all TRF members lived on a big boat? With no escape! :o

• Like 2

Had a 3.9 aftershock last night at 7pm. This is normal for aftershocks but I thought they were supposed to decrease in strength, crazy. Sitting on the couch and then I am rocking side to side, very bizarre. :eh:

Like sitting on a washing machine? ;)

Had a 3.9 aftershock last night at 7pm. This is normal for aftershocks but I thought they were supposed to decrease in strength, crazy. Sitting on the couch and then I am rocking side to side, very bizarre. :eh:

:laughing guy: No silly :P

• Like 1

Is that something you do a lot, ducky? :o

• Like 1

:oops:

• Like 1

Ahaaaa! :P

• Like 1

Baby! What's happening?

Baby! What's happening?

I don't know - you're the one sitting on the washing machine...