treeduck

But 40 million jobs lost (very disproportionately affecting lower income individuals) isn't enough to have public health "to take a backseat"?

Maybe the difference was in trying to prevent or diminish something potentially worse?

You mean like rioting and burning shit down?

No, I mean more deaths.

But 40 million jobs lost (very disproportionately affecting lower income individuals) isn't enough to have public health "to take a backseat"?

Maybe the difference was in trying to prevent or diminish something potentially worse?

I also support the right of peaceful protesters to gather, regardless of the state of public health. I guess consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, though.

• Like 1

Why can Governor Walz tell business owners in Minneapolis not to sell their products because it’s too dangerous, and tell parishioners they can’t gather in church, if he won’t tell protestors not to gather and, in some cases, steal the business’s property?

Why should anyone have to tell people that? Those groups of people are not analogous.

Really? They’re both in a store handling merchandise. The ones paying are more likely to spread the virus than the ones who aren’t?

I also support the right of peaceful protesters to gather, regardless of the state of public health. I guess consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, though.

A "foolish" consistency is, yes.

To sum up my position: Rioting, looting, attacking people is bad, and no one should do it, and it does not have much to do with COVID restrictions. I'm sorry if it appears I want to diminish the suffering of those collaterally damaged, as I do not.

It's a bit of a false equivalence, though, isn't it? To peacefully protest because of injustice is different...

It wasn't different when people were protesting about violations of their 1st Amendment right to assemble. Why is it now?

With respect, limiting the right of assembly had at least the intention of impacting public health, so the "injustice" of it is of a different kind than protesting a murder, for which there can be no "greater good" argument.

I'm not intending to defend rioting, and I'm not trying to be difficult; I just disagree that the lack of COVID concern in the current environment is a sign of some moral failing or hypocrisy.

I think the absence of any commentary on it is a problem, and it speaks to a certain level of disingenuousness, imo.
  • Like 3

To sum up my position: Rioting, looting, attacking people is bad, and no one should do it, and it does not have much to do with COVID restrictions. I'm sorry if it appears I want to diminish the suffering of those collaterally damaged, as I do not.

The rub here is that you seem to be justifying the public health risks of one peaceful protest over another, with the only difference being that you agree with one of the causes.
  • Like 3

[The rub here is that you seem to be justifying the public health risks of one peaceful protest over another, with the only difference being that you agree with one of the causes.

That may very well be true; ideally, they wouldn't be protesting at all because it does create a risk, no matter how "right" it is. As somebody stated above, it's not like the virus cares whether a gathering is good or bad.

• Like 2

I should have included the word foolish in my previous post, to be sure. Just to make sure, you didn't say that the consistency in my previous post was foolish, right?

In any case, the reason for the shutdown was to save lives. I believe it did so to some extent, and I believe it was the right move for a certain period of time, and is still needed in some circumstances.

It is also almost certainly true that enforcing distancing requirements among peaceful protestors, as the vast majority of them are, would save COVID cases, and therefore lives. I'm not talking about rioting idiots, they wouldn't abide by them anyway. So, how many lives are worth relaxing social distancing requirements in this instance? They're probably going to be disproportionately black lives, too, as the vast majority of the peaceful protesters are African-American (in far greater proportion than the actual rioters and looters, it seems).

See you next year, Wisconsin State Fair .... I hope. :(

You should just be happy if there is a Wisconsin next year.

We'll be here next year. Hopefully, after the November election, we'll be a happier bunch. I'm hopeful, but not very confident.... :LOL:

• Like 1

I should have included the word foolish in my previous post, to be sure. Just to make sure, you didn't say that the consistency in my previous post was foolish, right?

No; I see that key word often left out when that phrase is quoted, so I put it back in -- it's an important part of the point Emerson was making. Not all consistency is bad.

I did not mean your consistency was foolish; I just disagree. (To disagree does not usually mean one is wise and one is foolish; in this case, it's more likely we simply have different angles, priorities, or values.)

• Like 1

No; I see that key word often left out when that phrase is quoted, so I put it back in -- it's an important part of the point Emerson was making. Not all consistency is bad.

I did not mean your consistency was foolish; I just disagree. (To disagree does not usually mean one is wise and one is foolish; in this case, it's more likely we simply have different angles, priorities, or values.)

Agreed and I shouldn't have left it out. My bad.

[The rub here is that you seem to be justifying the public health risks of one peaceful protest over another, with the only difference being that you agree with one of the causes.

That may very well be true; ideally, they wouldn't be protesting at all because it does create a risk, no matter how "right" it is. As somebody stated above, it's not like the virus cares whether a gathering is good or bad.

It just cares how old or sick you are.
  • Like 3

It just cares how old or sick you are.

Kinda like the flu does.

I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry this morning. I was talking to my very elderly mom (haven't been able to visit yet :( ) and she says, "Our neighbor crocheted a mask for me!"

x9uf0Owm.jpg

WTF? There's holes all over those things! :LOL: :LOL: Luckily my mom said it is itchy and she is not planning on wearing it!

• Like 3

I honestly didn't know whether to laugh or cry this morning. I was talking to my very elderly mom (haven't been able to visit yet :( ) and she says, "Our neighbor crocheted a mask for me!"

x9uf0Owm.jpg

WTF? There's holes all over those things! :LOL: :LOL: Luckily my mom said it is itchy and she is not planning on wearing it!

Might as well use this material:

Chain-Link-Blk-Vinyl-Coat_2.jpg

• Like 3

x9uf0Owm.jpg

as long as there's crochet and creamed corn all is good in elderly world.

• Like 1

x9uf0Owm.jpg

Might as well use this material:

Chain-Link-Blk-Vinyl-Coat_2.jpg

:LOL: :LOL:

x9uf0Owm.jpg

as long as there's crochet and creamed corn all is good in elderly world.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

x9uf0Owm.jpg

She lives next to Alyssa Milano?

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

x9uf0Owm.jpg

:LOL: I had seen that! (My husband wishes! :LOL:)

• Like 1

x9uf0Owm.jpg

:LOL: I had seen that! (My husband wishes! :LOL:)

I haven’t seen that. So what is it? Milano in some skimpy crochet bikini top or, even better, bottom?

I have a friend who crochets those masks. She puts a pocket for a filter on the back and it works well.

Cuz 120 degrees inside ain't enough?

I have a friend who crochets those masks. She puts a pocket for a filter on the back and it works well.

Cuz 120 degrees inside ain't enough?

If the crocheted mask is hot the person making it is using the wrong yarn. Light cotton yarn is key.

• Like 1