treeduck

well... almost two years after I first heard about this scary disease thing sweeping China and creeping into the rest of the world... I got it.

I'm fine, actually. Vaccinated fully back in May. It's pretty much been a strong cold to me. But I'm stuck at home for the week, right when I had a big in person day visit at my top firm planned. Now postponed till January. Oh well. I guess I have no excuse not to watch all six hours of the Get Back documentary now.

oh no! Was it from the concert you think? I hope it stays mild.

I don't really know. My dad is totally fine, and he was right next to me at the Genesis concert. I also went to a MisterWives concert the preceding weekend, and the friend I went with is also totally fine. My coworker and boss are also totally fine. It's like it jumped over anyone else around me just to hit me. Weird.

Did you have to travel for these shows?

Yeah.

There's a good chance you caught it from that. Obviously, we can get it anywhere but travel seems to be one of the biggest ways it can happen. Too much is out of our control once we leave our comfort zones.

well... almost two years after I first heard about this scary disease thing sweeping China and creeping into the rest of the world... I got it.

I'm fine, actually. Vaccinated fully back in May. It's pretty much been a strong cold to me. But I'm stuck at home for the week, right when I had a big in person day visit at my top firm planned. Now postponed till January. Oh well. I guess I have no excuse not to watch all six hours of the Get Back documentary now.

I hope you recover quickly! No fun to be sick around the holidays. (or for your interviews) :(

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 4

oh no! Was it from the concert you think? I hope it stays mild.

I don't really know. My dad is totally fine, and he was right next to me at the Genesis concert. I also went to a MisterWives concert the preceding weekend, and the friend I went with is also totally fine. My coworker and boss are also totally fine. It's like it jumped over anyone else around me just to hit me. Weird.

Did you have to travel for these shows?

Yeah.

There's a good chance you caught it from that. Obviously, we can get it anywhere but travel seems to be one of the biggest ways it can happen. Too much is out of our control once we leave our comfort zones.

I should specify, I didn't fly. I drove. I guess it's possible I caught it at a gas station, but then you would think my boss and coworker (whom I spent time with after both concerts) or my dad (whom I spent time with after both concerts) would get it too, and they haven't.

My brother tested positive. They think it's the omicron since it settled in only a couple days after he got infected. He went to visit his godson on Thursday then everyone in that house began to not feel well the following day. Over the weekend he got fever, chills and a cough. The fever and chills are gone now but he still has the cough. So, he is getting better at least.

We co-own our house. I live downstairs and he lives upstairs, so we do have to avoid each other. I saw him briefly after he got home from his godson's on Thursday but we didn't get close enough to each other to spread anything it looks like since I have been fine so far. I can hear when he's walking around upstairs, so it's good that he can get up and move.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 4

My brother tested positive. They think it's the omicron since it settled in only a couple days after he got infected. He went to visit his godson on Thursday then everyone in that house began to not feel well the following day. Over the weekend he got fever, chills and a cough. The fever and chills are gone now but he still has the cough. So, he is getting better at least.

We co-own our house. I live downstairs and he lives upstairs, so we do have to avoid each other. I saw him briefly after he got home from his godson's on Thursday but we didn't get close enough to each other to spread anything it looks like since I have been fine so far. I can hear when he's walking around upstairs, so it's good that he can get up and move.

I'm glad he seems to be doing ok with it!

• Like 2

I'm glad he seems to be doing ok with it!

He still has body aches and random coughing attacks but he is recovering ok it looks like. He called his doctor and the nurse told him that he might be eligible for some kind of pill that helps people recover from covid. The doctor is supposed to call him tomorrow. It looks like he might need the full two weeks off since the cough is still lingering around. He works in home health care, so there's no way they will let him back until he's completely out of the woods.

• Like 4

We had an exposure at my job (on site at a client who had a couple cases that were easily tracked). My boss then me a day later had ear aches and something akin to a head cold. His lingered for a number of days, my symptoms lasted for maybe 12 hours. I thought it was just allergies. It was around the time we had symptoms we were informed of the client's cases.

More importantly for covid discussion, my boss has been the human petri dish when it comes to covid infections. He got it pre-vaccine, then again months later, then Delta, and now 3 months after Delta he's likely had Omicron. He's willing to get the vaccine but each time it seems to be "my natural immunity is probably wearing off I should get vaccinated" he gets infected.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. Working with a health care professional we did everything by the book pre-vaccine, both got our vaccines (she got Moderna and I went with Pfizer) and more recently boosters. This likely explains how I easily shrugged off Omicron despite having a very minor underlying condition and being 10 years older than my boss. Those who track cases see a pattern in natural immunity waning fairly quick.

Neither of us got tested due to backlogs / huge lines here in Vegas, no at home tests (sold out everywhere), and having already exposed everyone in our lives unwittingly didn't see the sense in bothering. It was already too late for the test to have any meaning. Any time I've spent in public is (properly) masked, so thankfully I don't have to worry about being the cause of any spread [same for my GF who could have also contracted it but has not had any symptoms].

Anyway, this is anecdotal but being scientifically minded I thought sharing my covid journey would perhaps be useful to someone.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 3

I'm not in healthcare, and neither is my boss, but her sister has something to do with healthcare and publishing, so they're both very up on masks and tests, and they use this site for at home tests and they seem to be available most of the time:L

https://ihealthlabs.com/

• Like 3

Fwiw, I mistyped (can no longer edit/correct). I posted "Working" with a health care professional, meant "Living" with a health care professional.

Thanks for the rapid test link Laura. On the fence on whether to order a couple for 'just in case'. Until now, almost two years in, haven't needed to be tested. The at home tests are 79% accurate, so I'd have to test and retest later to have any confidence in the results. If it comes back negative the second time it's very likely to be negative.

Edited by stoopid

Yeah, I know what you mean. I tested negative pcr before Xmas and then after (home swab) when one of my cousins tested positive after we were all together on Christmas Eve. I was negative, her parents were negative and everybody felt fine and if any of us did have it, we did not have a single symptom among us. So who knows. Whether I test positive or negative I will continue to stay vigilant and masked. If I were to test positive I would definitely isolate for five days if they're suggesting. But I know there's been false negatives and there's been false positives also! Edited by Laurabw

I still don't fully trust the home covid test kit. Too new to be a proven product and also the virus is far too serious to get false results. I will still leave it to the medical professionals to tell me whether or not I have it.
  • Like 1

I still don't fully trust the home covid test kit. Too new to be a proven product and also the virus is far too serious to get false results. I will still leave it to the medical professionals to tell me whether or not I have it.

Yeah I took a couple of home tests before getting a real one when I had it last month. I tested positive on them, then still felt like I needed to get a real test just to be sure. If I had tested negative, I likely would've had the exact same thought and gone to get a real test anyway.

Lots of people in Denmark. But that isn't stopping them from ending harsh COVID restrictions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60215200

Last time they lifted restrictions, September 2021, things blew up a couple of months later (flu season). Yet, they are choosing to look at the data once again, which indicates an increase in cases but a decreased rate in serious illness and death. It will be interesting to watch the Danish COVID trends over the next few months.

• Like 2

Lots of people in Denmark. But that isn't stopping them from ending harsh COVID restrictions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60215200

Last time they lifted restrictions, September 2021, things blew up a couple of months later (flu season). Yet, they are choosing to look at the data once again, which indicates an increase in cases but a decreased rate in serious illness and death. It will be interesting to watch the Danish COVID trends over the next few months.

No masks on public transportation? I don't know about that one. You get to close to someone who's sick, you might be screwed. My city hasn't lifted that mandate since the pandemic started. It's not like you can just get out of the way on a crowded bus or train.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/...europe-60215200

No masks on public transportation? I don't know about that one. You get to close to someone who's sick, you might be screwed. My city hasn't lifted that mandate since the pandemic started. It's not like you can just get out of the way on a crowded bus or train.

I think for the Danish the concern about getting infected is giving way to an acceptance that pretty much everyone will be infected at some point, and is rather shifting to regaining a quality of life based around most of the public learning to live with viruses like the COVID variants (they aren't going away) while helping those at risk of severe symptoms learn to manage their lives as needed.
  • Like 1

And the UK. We have practically shed all restrictions here.

When I was in Tenerife recently they had gone to Tier 4 and you were expected to wear a mask outside. Nobody did.

• Like 1

True enough, if slightly less free for Scotland, but the death numbers are still high: 534 today`s figure. I think something like 99% are unvaccinated and/or highly at risk. Although I don`t love that many are still dying, vaccines have been on the table for over a year so it has come down to personal choice or to be brutal, people who may have been just as vulnerable to standard winter flu or the fact they cannot afford to heat their homes due to their low fixed income.
  • Like 1

True enough, if slightly less free for Scotland, but the death numbers are still high: 534 today`s figure. I think something like 99% are unvaccinated and/or highly at risk. Although I don`t love that many are still dying, vaccines have been on the table for over a year so it has come down to personal choice or to be brutal, people who may have been just as vulnerable to standard winter flu or the fact they cannot afford to heat their homes due to their low fixed income.

I know more than one anti-vaxx senior (70+) in my social circle that has died from COVID recently. Non-vaxxing is a choice I do not understand, but as you note the potential consequences are quite clear and at this point society as a whole should be free to move forward, imo.
  • Like 1

Just announced in our school district, parents will now decide whether their children wear masks at school. Teachers and guests must continue masking.

Imo, elementary teachers should have the option to remove their mask during direct instruction. Lip reading and facial expression are important to young learners.

• Like 2

Just announced in our school district, parents will now decide whether their children wear masks at school. Teachers and guests must continue masking.

Imo, elementary teachers should have the option to remove their mask during direct instruction. Lip reading and facial expression are important to young learners.

Especially for children on the autism spectrum.

• Like 2

Especially for children on the autism spectrum.

Yes. Thankfully, as hysteria is dying down and acceptance settles in, sensible criticism of the more irrational and draconian responses to COVID is gaining more of a voice.

In the past year I had befriended an 85yo Polish immigrant and Bay Area escapee named Gunther. We were kindred souls and shared life experiences that included Europe and Mexico, so our time together was always fun. A couple of weeks ago Gunther came down with COVID, and he didn't survive. Dang.

In the past year I had befriended an 85yo Polish immigrant and Bay Area escapee named Gunther. We were kindred souls and shared life experiences that included Europe and Mexico, so our time together was always fun. A couple of weeks ago Gunther came down with COVID, and he didn't survive. Dang.

I'm sorry to hear you lost your friend. :hug2: It does seem to hit older people very hard if they get it. :(

• Like 1