Question about Freewill

londonguy

Been listening to some older boots. On the Presto and RTB tours, Geddy skips the "each of us" part and goes into DEW. On the T4E echo tour, he started singing the whole thing. Does anyone know why years later he started doing this? It doesn't sound like freewill was downtuned. I guess it could be a question of confidence in his voice that he was lacking a few years earlier. I just find it strange that he wasn't as brave on the earlier tours to fully sing it.

Been listening to some older boots. On the Presto and RTB tours, Geddy skips the "each of us" part and goes into DEW. On the T4E echo tour, he started singing the whole thing. Does anyone know why years later he started doing this? It doesn't sound like freewill was downtuned. I guess it could be a question of confidence in his voice that he was lacking a few years earlier. I just find it strange that he wasn't as brave on the earlier tours to fully sing it.

Up until the T4E tour, Rush had opening acts. That limited their time onstage to around two hours, so trying to come up with a set list with an ever-increasing catalog of songs to pick from became more and more difficult, so they started doing medleys -- instead of playing the full versions Freewill and DEW separately, they'd shorten and combine them into one song. Xanadu and Hemispheres got a similar treatment, along with other songs. That allowed them to cover a lot of their back catalogue in a shorter amount of time. It was a compromise. Fans wanted to hear the songs in their entirety and the band probably wanted to play them, but they couldn't do a three-hour set with an opening act.

That changed starting with the T4E tour. From that point on, no opening acts and a three-hour set, so they were free to play the full songs again.

• Like 4