Rush or Depeche Mode is the biggest cult band?

rugen

On the release of the new Depeche Mode documentary, the filmmaker Anton Corbijn said that Depeche Mode is the biggest cult band of the world. I thought it was Rush. But I am not sure, Maybe Rush is not a cult band or if it's the case, who is the biggest?

https://www.nme.com/music-interviews/anton-corbijn-depeche-mode-biggest-cult-band-world-2576957

How would we measure a cult band? Album sales? Disciples' fervor? I've never heard musicians name-drop the guys in DP the way an entire generation has Geddy, Alex, or Neil.

If a cult has followers, Rush wins.

(and I like Depeche Mode . . .)

Edited by Nova Carmina
  • Like 3

Depeche Mode's hits were bigger than Rush's I would say. More people in general would probably recognize People Are People, Enjoy The Silence, Policy Of Truth or Personal Jesus over Rush's most well known songs. Despite falling off the pop radar in the US during the mid 90s, the band is still able to play and fill arenas in north America. So, I can certainly see how the case can be made for them being the biggest cult band in the world since they haven't really made any waves in over 25 years but can still draw the big crowds. Edited by J2112YYZ

The movie maker is trying to hype the subject of his movie. I'd say the biggest cult band is Insane Clown Posse. (with the emphasis on Clown). Their annual festival draws upwards of 100,000.

That's a once a year destination festival though. How well does ICP draw when they tour? I remember them coming to my area a few times and they were playing a place that only fits a couple thousand.

I wouldn’t call a band who had a number 8 hit in 1990 a “cult” band. I don’t make the rules. Highest Rush went was in the lower 20s with New World Man. I was only 9 years old and remember Enjoy The Silence being unavoidable on radio. Edited by invisible airwave

How is Depeche Mode a cult band???

They're huge!

I feel like in the US they're quietly huge. They fill the big venues but it's not like they're a band people talk too much about anymore. They've got their loyal following for sure but they don't seem to be very vocal about it.

talk about clueless.........

no contest in my eyes.

the grateful dead takes that title

What about Phish? The Dead at least had a few hits that are classic rock radio stables. I don't think Phish ever got that kind of mainstream attention to help build their fan base.

• Like 1

no contest in my eyes.

What about Phish? The Dead at least had a few hits that are classic rock radio stables. I don't think Phish ever got that kind of mainstream attention to help build their fan base.

I can see your point

phish and widespread panic are dead 2.0 in my opinion

jerry died how many years ago? and dead and co. are still the hottest jam band on tour from what i can tell

• Like 1

Hmm defining 'cult band'. Is that a band that some select people really like but is unpopular and at times hated?

Well shit, Primus wins the blue ribbon prize for that.

• Like 1

On the release of the new Depeche Mode documentary, the filmmaker Anton Corbijn said that Depeche Mode is the biggest cult band of the world. I thought it was Rush. But I am not sure, Maybe Rush is not a cult band or if it's the case, who is the biggest?

https://www.nme.com/...d-world-2576957

Grateful Dead > Rush > Jimmy Buffet > Depeche Mode

they really have been publicizing that Depeche Mode documentary, though!

The movie maker is trying to hype the subject of his movie. I'd say the biggest cult band is Insane Clown Posse. (with the emphasis on Clown). Their annual festival draws upwards of 100,000.

Seriously? The Festival of Juggalos? I have a friend that is associated, I just never knew it was that big.

Interesting to see other bands cited here, I guess it depends on each one taste or meaning of the word cult. How to trace the line between popular and not most popular. How can a band be popular among a particular group and not to the majority of people? Maybe The Beatles is an example of a band that the majority of people like. And people on this forum can feel a certain pride in their devotion to a band that is not the most popular band.

no contest in my eyes.

That's what Im thinking

On the release of the new Depeche Mode documentary, the filmmaker Anton Corbijn said that Depeche Mode is the biggest cult band of the world. I thought it was Rush.

It's certainly not Rush in the present tense anymore :(

What does that even mean?...another bullshit term for a non-existent premise.

i'd say a hugely successful cult band is a band that lives under the radar in terms of mainstream radio, yet draws large numbers of faithful fans to its shows and generates millions in album sales. The Grateful Dead, RUSH for much of its career, Phish, Primus, Taylor Swift...
  • Like 1