Really bummed I missed R40

Holly

I did see R30 and the Time Machine Tour, but when R40 happened, I'd moved to Idaho from Los Angeles, and so the closest to me I think would have been Salt Lake City, and I just didn't make it. I will kick myself for ever over that decision.
  • Like 6

I can understand that, I kicked myself for missing Time Machine. But at least you got to see them, you'll always have those memories :Neil: :Alex: :geddy:
  • Like 6

I did see R30 and the Time Machine Tour, but when R40 happened, I'd moved to Idaho from Los Angeles, and so the closest to me I think would have been Salt Lake City, and I just didn't make it. I will kick myself for ever over that decision.

i kinda regret not going given the setlist but its all good now for me. i had a good run, though perm waves tour at 13,ESL tour and 2nd row for signals at 16ish

i took my son to the time machine tour which was my last show. 17 tours total. really at the end, i felt the cost of even mediocre tickets wasnt worth it.....

you did catch two great tours and thats more than i can say about about a bunch of my favorite bands

• Like 2

Don't feel bad about it. Real life got in the way. You had to move and that can make things like seeing a concert a bit harder to do depending on where you live. I'm guessing not too many bands stop by Idaho at all. Edited by J2112YYZ

25526496-8073933-image-a-57_1583326345309.jpg

I would have made the trip to Tampa to see them but once word got out that this tour was it, tickets disappeared into the hands of the f--king scalpers, and prices got too out of hand. Oh well.

I think a lot of us have shows that we wanted to go to, and couldn't. In my case, I wanted to go to LA on R40, could have gone, and just didn't. I also could have gone out to Red Rocks on tours past to see the boys. Didn't do that either.

It happens. Don't sweat over it. IMO, be thankful for what you did get to do. ;)

• Like 2

I think a lot of us have shows that we wanted to go to, and couldn't. In my case, I wanted to go to LA on R40, could have gone, and just didn't. I also could have gone out to Red Rocks on tours past to see the boys. Didn't do that either.

It happens. Don't sweat over it. IMO, be thankful for what you did get to do. ;)

Really good point. I saw them 7 times and it could have been a possible 11-12 but that would have been more money and opportunities would be taken away from seeing other acts. 7 times is pretty good considering I'm a younger fan that saw them all those times over a 10 year span or so.

Every moment with the band was a special one. Let's be content with what we have vs what we could have had.

• Like 2

I was angry for a very long time on the guys for not doing R40 in europe, I did not even listen to their music for a long time after they ended the tour (almost a year). Because I saw the amazing set list, and I was so happy that I would get to see some of those epics songs. And I was sure that they would come to europe, so I just waited for them to add more dates on their website. And when I understood that they would not come to europe, I could not travel to USA, because I had just got a new job, and I did not either had any money to buy both the concert ticket, airplane and hotel. I was angry at my self that I did not see R30 Tour (first time Rush played in sweden since 1978) because I was not a fan then, became a fan 2011 when I saw Rush live first time. But I did get to see them during Time Machine Tour and Clockwork Angels Tour (twice). Edited by YYZumbi
  • Like 4

As we say in Yorkshire, nowt you can do about it now. I came close to not making the R40 tour, I had a ticket for the MSG and then was told I had to work in France for the summer. Fortunately I was able to snag a ticket for the second Toronto show and what a lovely weekend that turned out to be. Plus the lovely Laura bought my MSG ticket Edited by exiledyorkie
  • Like 1

I was angry for a very long time on the guys for not doing R40 in europe... [edit mine] but I did get to see them during Time Machine Tour and Clockwork Angels Tour (twice).

The way I see it, it's my fault they didn't come back to Europe because I didn't go to see them in Berlin in 2013. I'm sure Alex was like, "That guy that was in the front row for p/g hasn't been to another show since. We gave him what anybody would've thought was a final opportunity for CA two years ago. Why go back there again? He won't show up."

In fairness to me, it wasn't the high price or a lack of love, but the venue and chance I'd've had to be proximate to the performance. I was lucky enough to be young once and full of the energy and determination (and time) to wait in all-day lines and/or know someone who could snag me the opportunity to get up close enough to see and hear them in all their glory without looking at a big screen, or hearing them via the doppler effect. I still think today that had I gone to the O2 Arena, I'd've been weeping from the rafters, making it potentially a more negative experience than not having been there. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 2

I was at the Clockwork Angels show in Manchester 2013 but when the R40 tour was announced we considered flying to either US or Canada for a show ....... Clever-clogs here decided that they were bound to add European dates on to the tour, so we waited!! Wadda mistake to make!!! :facepalm:
  • Like 2

Me too.

• Like 1

I’m thankful to my brother springing the obscene amount of money for tickets for that last show.

I was HAMMERED. But I still remember the feeling of those synth tones opening Losing It.

I’m not convinced Peart didn’t know he was sick that night.

• Like 1

I decided not to go and the reason was the same as it was for a number of years.....they just couldn't do the songs justice any more...listening to vids of Geddy yodelling and straining to reach notes, Alex flubbing some of his parts due to psoriatic arthritis and Neil simplifying his drumming due to age made it unlistenable for me.

They were a great band who had their time and imo should have hung up their hats a good deal earlier so their legacy was untarnished.

• Like 2

I decided not to go and the reason was the same as it was for a number of years.....they just couldn't do the songs justice any more...listening to vids of Geddy yodelling and straining to reach notes, Alex flubbing some of his parts due to psoriatic arthritis and Neil simplifying his drumming due to age made it unlistenable for me.

They were a great band who had their time and imo should have hung up their hats a good deal earlier so their legacy was untarnished.

I wanna be the first to pre-emptively defend your contribution here. It will be more than tempting under the circumstances for many fans to find your comment offensive, unduly so, I believe. And while I come retroactively to a different conclusion, I felt the same way, albeit first as it relates to their creative output going back to the nineties. As with many who followed them from very early on, Counterparts became not just a respite from substandard music, but as well an oasis sent by the rock gods on which one would have to reside a good long time until the eventual destruction of vocal chords and other elements of ageing made even improved compositions less than what they might have been.

Yet in spite of the fact that I justified for many years not shelling out the way beyond inflationary price for stadium spectacles, I do not think they should have quit earlier. In spite of the fact that I couldn't help thinking that it was a shame that the audience in attendance at the R&RHoF ceremony who had not known the band very well up to that point were witnessing anything but the same band that led to the response at that ceremony. As an introduction to the band, it was not impressive for the very reasons you cite in your comment.

Nevertheless, the response that night was what I would say should put RUSH in the Hall of Fame of the Hall of Fame. Their influence alone justified their continuation and the only thing that was tarnished about their legacy was in the eyes of those who never knew them. In other words, for those of us who knew them who also happen to think that their career arc diminished significantly in quality at one or another point along the way, that itself shouldn't be relevant save for our projections onto the world of fans that never were.

I do know that I found Clockwork Angels to be an album I would have loved had it not been mired in ear-crushing mud, which is one more reason that I wish I had gone to that last show when I had the chance. I take solace in the fact that I probably would have been watching via the jumbo-tron and some guy's phone in front of my face and hearing it via the swirls in the atmosphere, themselves drowned out by the same guy screaming all the lyrics in my ear.

All this makes me wish there were more people posting here to tell us about how they went and wish they hadn't. I don't think that's gonna happen, though. Even had I gone, I don't think my reaction would be one of feeling anything had been tarnished. My memory of their unequalled greatness remains undiminished and I don't believe one more negative experience would have changed that.

• Like 1