Deep Purple new album Whoosh! out June 12

treeduck

deep-purple-whoosh-albumcover-1000px.jpg

DEEP PURPLE will release its new album, "Whoosh!", on June 12 via earMUSIC. The legendary rockers' 21st studio LP was once again helmed by Canadian producer Bob Ezrin (KISS, PINK FLOYD, ALICE COOPER), who also worked on DEEP PURPLE's last two studio albums, 2017's "Infinite" and 2013's "Now What?!" Together they created the most versatile album in their collaboration. DEEP PURPLE "stretched out in all directions" without any limitation, letting their creativity go.

"DEEP PURPLE is putting the Deep back into Purple" was the half-joking motto in the studio after the first songs made it clear that Ezrin and PURPLE were on their path to creating an album pushing the boundaries of time, while voicing their resentment about the current situation of the world and addressing all generations.

"Whoosh!" will be available as limited CD+DVD mediabook (including the one-hour feature "Roger Glover And Bob Ezrin In Conversation" and, for the first time, the full live performance at Hellfest 2017 as video), 2LP+DVD edition, limited boxset and digital.

"We've included everything that made the whole band smile, including Bob Ezrin. We've always enjoyed making music and having the incredible luxury of a loyal audience," said guitarist Steve Morse.

Track listing:

01. Throw My Bones

02. Drop The Weapon

03. We're All The Same In The Dark

04. Nothing At All

05. No Need To Shout

06. Step By Step

07. What The What

08. The Long Way Round

09. The Power Of The Moon

10. Remission Possible

11. Man Alive

12. And The Address

13. Dancing In My Sleep

DEEP PURPLE will embark on a full European tour starting in late May.

Confirmed dates:

May 31 - Moscow - Megasport Ice Palace (RU)

Jun. 03 - Istanbul - Lifepark (TR)

Jun. 06 - Athens - Rockwave Festival (Terravibe Park) (GR)

Jun. 20 - Clisson - HellFest (FR)

Jun. 21 - Dessel - Graspop Metal Meeting (BE)

Jun. 24 - Hamburg - Stadtpark Freilichtbühne (DE)

Jun. 25 - Aalborg - Skovdalen (Open Air) (DK)

Jun. 27 - Oslo - Tons of Rock Ekeberg (NO)

Jun. 30 - Paris (Boulogne Billancourt) - La Seine Musicale (FR)

Jul. 01 - Nimes - Festival De Nimes Les Arenes (FR)

Jul. 03 - Klam - Clam Rock (AT)

Jul. 04 - Eisenstadt - Lovely Days (AT)

Jul. 06 - Bologna - Bologna Sonic Park (IT)

Jul. 08 - Sion - Sion sous Sion sous les étoiles (CH)

Jul. 10 - Bonn - Kunst Rasen Granau (DE)

Jul. 11 - Rosenheim - Rosenheim Sommerfestival (DE)

Jul. 14 - Halle (Saale) - Freilichtbühne Peißnitz (DE)

Jul. 15 - Mainz - Open Air Volkspark Mainz (DE)

Jul. 17 - St Julien en Genevois - Guitare en Scene Festival (FR)

Jul. 18 - Brombach - Lieder Am See (DE)

Jul. 20 - Carcassone - Festival De Carcassone Theatre Jean Deschamps (FR)

Jul. 22 - Lörrach - Stimmen Festival (DE)

Jul. 24 - Colmar - Festival De La Foire Aux Vins De Colmar Parc Des Expositions (FR)

Jul. 26 - Stockholm - Hovet Ice Hall (SE)

Jul. 27 - Gothenburg - Partille Arena (SE)

Jul. 29 - Copenhagen - Royal Arena (DK)

Oct. 02 - Manchester - Manchester Arena (GB)

Oct. 03 - London - O2 (London) (GB)

Oct. 05 - Glasgow - Hydro (GB)

Oct. 06 - Leeds - FD Arena (GB)

Oct. 08 - Birmingham - Arena (Birmingham) (GB)

Oct. 10 - Luxembourg - Rockhal (LU)

Oct. 13 - Berlin - Max Schmeling Halle (DE)

Oct. 14 - Lodz - Atlas Arena (PL)

Oct. 16 - Stuttgart - Schleyer-Halle (DE)

Oct. 17 - Oberhausen - KP Arena (DE)

Oct. 19 - Milan - Forum (IT)

Oct. 20 - Zurich - Hallenstadion (CH)

Oct. 22 - Lille - Zenith (FR)

Oct. 24 - Dijon - Zenith (FR)

Oct. 26 - Clermont Ferrand - Zenith D'Auvergne (FR)

Oct. 28 - Amsterdam - Ziggo Dome (NL)

• Like 4

Man, these guys just keep space truckin' along! I thought they were on their farewell tour. Nice to see a long time band still creating new music. Too many just hang around living off hits from decades ago.
  • Like 2

I’ve never been a big big fan of Deep Purple, but tons of respect for them continuing to make new music on a regular basis...and wow, undertaking a 42-date tour at this stage in their careers is remarkable too. Good on them!
  • Like 1

This is good news - surprising too. Infinite felt like it was going to be it for them, the way the documentary was and with Steve Morse having so much hand pain these days. I didn`t think it was a great record, compared to Now What?, except for Birds of Prey. I`ll keep buying and listening, even if their studio work is pretty inconsistent these days,
  • Like 2

This is good news - surprising too. Infinite felt like it was going to be it for them, the way the documentary was and with Steve Morse having so much hand pain these days. I didn`t think it was a great record, compared to Now What?, except for Birds of Prey. I`ll keep buying and listening, even if their studio work is pretty inconsistent these days,

Yeah Infinite was definitely a disappointment after Now What? which I think is the best of the Morse era. Hopefully this new one is a return to Now What? form.

• Like 2

Yeah Infinite was definitely a disappointment after Now What? which I think is the best of the Morse era. Hopefully this new one is a return to Now What? form.

Purpendicular is magnificent but nothing came close until Now What? I hope Gillan has some decent lyrics this time out. Not sure how much difference a producer makes but Ezrin seemed asleep at the wheel last time.

Purpendicular is magnificent but nothing came close until Now What? I hope Gillan has some decent lyrics this time out. Not sure how much difference a producer makes but Ezrin seemed asleep at the wheel last time.

Yeah that's the other album that tops the Morse-era. I like Abandon a lot too.

• Like 1

They should have called it "Thanos".

I love that they're still carrying on. But it wouldn't hurt to play live a few more tracks from the albums they're promoting. It's usually 2 or 3 from the most recent album, and exactly the same setlist.

• Like 1

I love that they're still carrying on. But it wouldn't hurt to play live a few more tracks from the albums they're promoting. It's usually 2 or 3 from the most recent album, and exactly the same setlist.

They need to shake it up altogether and bring in some stuff from the 80's and 90's and some obscure stuff from the 70's and something from the first 3 albums.

• Like 2

They need to shake it up altogether and bring in some stuff from the 80's and 90's and some obscure stuff from the 70's and something from the first 3 albums.

Is that what the punters want to hear, though? I much as I love '70s Deep Purple, surely they've reached nostalgia act status, where they just release new music as an excuse to go play the hits that the majority of ticket buyers expect?

Why have I never been into this band? They seem like one I should be into. Is it like Judas Priest or Thin Lizzy where the hits do nothing for me so I have to dig deeper than that to find the stuff that would appeal to me?

I think it's time that I found the answers.

Why have I never been into this band? They seem like one I should be into. Is it like Judas Priest or Thin Lizzy where the hits do nothing for me so I have to dig deeper than that to find the stuff that would appeal to me?

Start with Deep Purple in Rock, Fireball, Machine Head for Gillan-era, then just get all three of the Coverdale ones, Burn, Stormbringer and Come Taste the Band. And the comeback album Perfect Strangers, Live album Made in Japan. Try some More-era after all that.

• Like 1

Is that what the punters want to hear, though? I much as I love '70s Deep Purple, surely they've reached nostalgia act status, where they just release new music as an excuse to go play the hits that the majority of ticket buyers expect?

That's probably the case with Purple now yeah.

Why does what you've heard do nothing for you? Purple at times can be self-indulgent, but a lot of non-hardcore fans would say the same about Rush. What I always loved most about Purple is the interplay between guitar and keyboard. First, Blackmore and Lord; now, Morse and Airey. All supremely talented players. And of course Paice on drums was a beast, but unfortunately he's just ok today (he did have a stroke, I believe). And I believe Gillan is a smart vocalist like Halford. Instead of still trying what he used to be able to do (which was amazing), he finds a way to make his current range fit the song effectively. Rush and Purple are similar, I think, in that it's mainly about the musicianship and band chemistry.

• Like 1

Like most bands still around after that long, they understand that very few people are buying tickets to hear material from their latest releases. When I saw them last fall, they did play "Demon's Eye" (from 1971) for the first time in a long while I believe. And they played one each from the last two albums, so I think they do try to strike a balance. But they're also senior citizens now and 90 minutes is the max they'll be on for. Improvising always takes up a chunk of the set as well.

Why does what you've heard do nothing for you? Purple at times can be self-indulgent, but a lot of non-hardcore fans would say the same about Rush. What I always loved most about Purple is the interplay between guitar and keyboard. First, Blackmore and Lord; now, Morse and Airey. All supremely talented players. And of course Paice on drums was a beast, but unfortunately he's just ok today (he did have a stroke, I believe). And I believe Gillan is a smart vocalist like Halford. Instead of still trying what he used to be able to do (which was amazing), he finds a way to make his current range fit the song effectively. Rush and Purple are similar, I think, in that it's mainly about the musicianship and band chemistry.

I can't really say why what I've heard doesn't do anything for me. I know nothing beyond the hits. Maybe I just need to put the headphones on give a good close listen to a couple of their albums and something will catch my ears.

I can't really say why what I've heard doesn't do anything for me. I know nothing beyond the hits. Maybe I just need to put the headphones on give a good close listen to a couple of their albums and something will catch my ears.

If you haven't heard the non-radio staples from Machine Head, that's where you should start. Yes, find the song "Lazy" and put on your headphones. :smoke: