Xanadu and Xanadu together at last

Three Eyes

On a lark, I decided to play these two videos together to see if I could spot any syncs (a la Willy Wonka/2112). I didn't expect much but it turns out there are some pretty decent ones, especially the ending.

1. Turn down the volume of ONJ's Xanadu and set it to begin at 0:00.
  2. Set Rush's Xanadu to 2:44.
  3. Hit both videos fast to avoid lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLi8fTlDEag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w3s2T0VBug

• Like 3

Jeff Lynne of Electric Light Orchestra wrote 'Xanadu' for Olivia Newton-John.

According to the wikipedia entry for the song, it says Newton-John sings the primary vocals, with ELO lead singer and the song's writer Jeff Lynne adding vocals in the style of their other songs on the Xanadu soundtrack, along with ELO providing the instrumentation. It is Lynne's favorite song of all that he has written quoted from another interview.

I wonder if Jeff, Geddy, and Alex had the opportunity to meet in person at the 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ceremonies when ELO and YES were being inducted.

I sent a Facebook message to the official Jeff Lynne page inquiring if he heard of the RUSH song of the same title at all. Haven't received a reply yet.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 2

According to the wikipedia entry for the song, it says Newton-John sings the primary vocals, with ELO lead singer and the song's writer Jeff Lynne adding vocals in the style of their other songs on the Xanadu soundtrack, along with ELO providing the instrumentation. It is Lynne's favorite song of all that he has written quoted from another interview.

I wonder if Jeff, Geddy, and Alex had the opportunity to meet in person at the 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ceremonies when ELO and YES were being inducted.

I sent a Facebook message to the official Jeff Lynne page inquiring if he heard of the RUSH song of the same title at all. Haven't received a reply yet.

I hadn't heard Xanadu since I was a kid, and when I played the link here Jeff Lynne was the first thing that popped into my mind. His sound is as distinct as Phil Spector.

Yeah I knew it was a Jeff Lynne song. The arrangement is so ELO it could have been on an ELO album. Here he is performing it with George Harrison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QtLjcY7j9g

I'd really be surprised if he hadn't heard of Rush's Xanadu.

• Like 1

I never saw the movie believe it or not. Am Imissing anything. I admit if I do ever see it it would mainly be because of Olivia Newton John.

It's pure cheese. Olivia is eye candy so there's that and I guess the fantasy element of the production design kind of appealed to me back in the day. Plus, I've always liked the title song well enough. I couldn't tell you what the plot is about but I remember being excited that we'd just gotten cable at the time and this was one of the first movies I saw on it. Coincidentally, I'd just gotten Hemispheres too and was really getting into it. So for years I had this strangely positive association between Hemispheres the album and Xanadu the movie! I guess their fantasy elements melded together in my brain somehow. lol. Fast forward to now and we have a Xanadu/Xanadu sync. Still crazy after all these years.

• Like 1