R.I.P. Simon, aka Big Fuzzy Dog

Mara

My 15 year old shepherd, Simon, went his way peacefully about 15 minutes ago.

We had an in-home euthanasia service; I kept him settled and as pain free as possible with melatonin and pain medication until they got here. He'd hurt his back somehow, on top of a case of bronchitis. When they're this old it's like a house of cards.

Tomorrow I should get his ashes back and they'll go next to those of his doggy buddy Lance, who passed 2 years ago.

• Like 6

My 15 year old shepherd, Simon, went his way peacefully about 15 minutes ago.

We had an in-home euthanasia service; I kept him settled and as pain free as possible with melatonin and pain medication until they got here. He'd hurt his back somehow, on top of a case of bronchitis. When they're this old it's like a house of cards.

Tomorrow I should get his ashes back and they'll go next to those of his doggy buddy Lance, who passed 2 years ago.

I’m sorry for your loss. :(

:rose: RIP

• Like 1

Sorry to hear. I have as most people parted with animals naturally and by having to put them down. I lost my cat of 17 years a few months ago of apparently natural causes. She showed no signs of any issues and I found her passed when I woke up one morning. It was sad but I felt better about it than some of my past experiences with months of suffering etc. It's never easy...
  • Like 1

As hard as it was to let him go, seeing him diminished and suffering was worse. I'm grateful that he told me clearly it was time.
  • Like 1

In one of those odd "full circle" twists of fate, the vet who came to release him from his pain was the vet who first saw him as a young guy, she did all of his well-doggy checkups and shots until we moved from the area. She remembered him too!
  • Like 1

Sorry for your loss. You handled his final moments as gracefully and peacefully as you could.

I have an older dog that I'm very close to. She's doing fine and very healthy, but I'm dreading when she will pass.

• Like 1

It sounds like Simon had a damn good life. Hope you're doing okay.

Our 12 year-old shepherd's hips are starting to go. He's a goddamned awesome dog, and is still pretty chipper -- especially when food or treats are involved. But it's amazing how quickly time passes. Time stand still, ffs! I want more time with my dog!

3e5a2415a2bf6efed5aa584a83a5b863--animal-memes-funny-animal.jpg

Our 12 year-old shepherd's hips are starting to go. He's a goddamned awesome dog, and is still pretty chipper -- especially when food or treats are involved. But it's amazing how quickly time passes. Time stand still, ffs! I want more time with my dog!

Have you tried Adequan for the hips? It gave Simon a couple of years of quality of life back.

I get your meme, completely. Simon got expensive in his final year, well over $3K in just about 7 months. But I've often said I never regret money I spend on the dog. On people, yes - frequent regrets there. But never dogs.

• Like 1

I feel the same way about my cats. They've been pretty inexpensive though...

3i9UN2D.gif

• Like 1

Have you tried Adequan for the hips? It gave Simon a couple of years of quality of life back.

I get your meme, completely. Simon got expensive in his final year, well over $3K in just about 7 months. But I've often said I never regret money I spend on the dog. On people, yes - frequent regrets there. But never dogs.

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into Adequan. I was going to ask the vet about CBD oil (or some such thing).

Yeah, pet care can get really expensive, but that's when I tell myself "this is why I have a job." Our dog had a crazy tooth/gum infection a couple of years back, and it wasn't cheap to sort out, but so worth it in the long run. Thank Dog we could afford it!