When Rush sounded like AC/DC and the Stones in the same song

Three Eyes

I was focused on writing an email with YouTube autoplay going on in the background when this song comes on. So it's really just background music as I write this email. That's probably the reason I noticed it. My mind was focused on something else which effectively disengaged my listening prejudices. :AlienSmiley:

On the Vapor Trails Tour, Geddy dedicated the song to John Entwistle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPhSLpT_htQ

On a side note here's a comment from Alex Lifeson in the Dec 1993 issue of Guitar Player magazine here posted below.

It's no surprise that Counterparts acoustic guitars recall Tommy-era Who tracks. "Pete Townshend can make an acoustic sound so heavy and powerful," affirms Alex. "I've always admired that. On "Between Sun And Moon" there's a musical bridge before the solo that's very Who-ish. I even throw Keith Richards in there." Lyrically and musically, Lifeson notes, the song is "really a tribute to the '60s."

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 6

Part of what bolsters the sense of the solo section sounding like these other bands is Neil's likely conscious decision to play a straight forward beat throughout without a single fill until the very end. Since they said it's a bit of a Who tribute it might have been interesting if he'd thrown in some Moon-like fills in the "wrong" places.
  • Like 1

On the Vapor Trails Tour, Geddy dedicated the song to John Entwistle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPhSLpT_htQ

On a side note here's a comment from Alex Lifeson in the Dec 1993 issue of Guitar Player magazine here posted below.

It's no surprise that Counterparts acoustic guitars recall Tommy-era Who tracks. "Pete Townshend can make an acoustic sound so heavy and powerful," affirms Alex. "I've always admired that. On "Between Sun And Moon" there's a musical bridge before the solo that's very Who-ish. I even throw Keith Richards in there." Lyrically and musically, Lifeson notes, the song is "really a tribute to the '60s."

The stop breaks are very Zep too.