KK's Priest - The new Priest is launched!

treeduck

ur6j97Y.jpg

Former JUDAS PRIEST members K.K. Downing (guitar), Tim "Ripper" Owens (vocals) and Les Binks (drums) have joined forced in a new band called KK'S PRIEST. The group, which will pay homage to Downing's past the lineup, is rounded out by guitarist A.J. Mills (HOSTILE) and bassist Tony Newton (VOODOO SIX).

"Forging ahead with KK'S PRIEST was not only inevitable but essential for me to perform and deliver everything that is expected from me and KK'S PRIEST," Downing said in a statement. "Due to the massive demand and overwhelming support from fans around the world, I feel this is where I belong, and a set combining the true, classic songs and sound of PRIEST, together with great, newly forged metal tracks, is what fans can expect when KK'S PRIEST is taking to stages."

KK'S PRIEST is working on its debut album, to be released via Explorer1 Music Group. It will also play select shows later this year to mark the 50th anniversary of PRIEST and Downing's career as a founding member. KK'S PRIEST's setlist will consist of PRIEST classics and new songs.

KK'S PRIEST is represented exclusively by Andy Gould for Explorer1, with Jim Morewood handling the band's global bookings outside the U.S. for the K2 Agency.

• Like 3

So was KK not happy in Judas Priest for awhile? I thought he quit for health reasons, that he couldn’t hack touring anymore, or was having some other kind of personal problems.
  • Like 1

So was KK not happy in Judas Priest for awhile? I thought he quit for health reasons, that he couldn’t hack touring anymore, or was having some other kind of personal problems.

In 2011 he said there many reasons why he left and hinted at problems with the rest of the band. A couple of years ago, after the announcement of Glenn Tipton's medical condition and retirement from touring, plus KK's book, on the eve of the Firepower tour, they got into a full scale slagging match with KK saying stuff like Tipton got to play most of the solos, and criticised the performances, and he suggested that Tipton didn't play on Firepower. I don't think Downing has been invited to play on Priest's 50th anniversary tour either so they don't seem on good terms at all.

• Like 2

In 2011 he said there many reasons why he left and hinted at problems with the rest of the band. A couple of years ago, after the announcement of Glenn Tipton's medical condition and retirement from touring, plus KK's book, on the eve of the Firepower tour, they got into a full scale slagging match with KK saying stuff like Tipton got to play most of the solos, and criticised the performances, and he suggested that Tipton didn't play on Firepower. I don't think Downing has been invited to play on Priest's 50th anniversary tour either so they don't seem on good terms at all.

Got it...I must have been confusing Glenn Tipton’s end to touring with KK.

Shame their relationships to each other went that sour though, after all that time as bandmates.

• Like 2

Got it...I must have been confusing Glenn Tipton’s end to touring with KK.

Shame their relationships to each other went that sour though, after all that time as bandmates.

It's interesting that each band is kind of balanced out with one original member each, one who joined in the classic era, one who joined in the 90's and two guys were hired recently.

Ripper is fantastic. His work with Iced Earth is some of my favourite metal vocals ever. Love this news!
  • Like 1

Ripper is fantastic. His work with Iced Earth is some of my favourite metal vocals ever. Love this news!

I have never heard the Priest albums that he was a part of, and never knew he was in Iced Earth!

• Like 1

I'm torn about this. Unfortunately KK torched the bridge with his former bandmates

• Like 2

70's priest is the best

I remember the 70's. :codger:

I've been told if you can remember them you really weren't there. :huh:

This feels a bit like the whole Queensrÿche mess.

Pink Floyd came to mind for me.

Edited by driventotheedge

I'm torn about this. Unfortunately KK torched the bridge with his former bandmates

It does look like it.

One thing with all these ex-Priest members in KK's new band who will they bring out for the Priest 50th Anniversary tour to celebrate the band's history? Al Atkins? Who else is out there?

70's priest is the best

Well I was alive in the 60's and I can't remember them, and I think the quote was about the 60's so I think I qualify...

70's priest is the best

Well I was alive in the 60's and I can't remember them, and I think the quote was about the 60's so I think I qualify...

Yeah, that quote was about the 60s!

• Like 1

So groups in the UK don't go through that whole thing of who owns the name, with the first owner alleging that the second user of it is stealing all their fans and their income? Or have they worked something out, kind of like how Yes split into two for awhile?
  • Like 1