Primus to play AFTK on next tour!

tangy

https://www.rollings...terview-953590/

It must be a real change in gears — it’s such a different sensibility from Oysterhead.

But it’s super fun. You know, I’ve been doing this a long time, and you’ve gotta keep finding stuff that gets you excited to sit down and play your instrument. And this excites me.

You know, I bought an old Rickenbacker — I’m gonna sit there and jam on it, man [laughs].

Are you guys all doing that, in terms of re-creating Rush’s old gear setup?

You never know…

Can you say anything about the stage show?

Yeah, we’re working on it. It’s gonna be cool. I mean, I’m very excited, ’cause we get to throwback to being 14 again, maybe 16 [laughs].

SO. AWESOME.

Edited by chemistry1973

It must be a real change in gears — it’s such a different sensibility from Oysterhead.

But it’s super fun. You know, I’ve been doing this a long time, and you’ve gotta keep finding stuff that gets you excited to sit down and play your instrument. And this excites me.

You know, I bought an old Rickenbacker — I’m gonna sit there and jam on it, man [laughs].

You never know…

Yeah, we’re working on it. It’s gonna be cool. I mean, I’m very excited, ’cause we get to throwback to being 14 again, maybe 16 [laughs].

SO. AWESOME.

I get to throwback to being 20 again (my age when Primus opened for Rush on the RTB tour).

• Like 3

You never know…

SO. AWESOME.

I get to throwback to being 20 again (my age when Primus opened for Rush on the RTB tour).

I saw them open for Rush in New Haven. It was f***ing awesome - I had great seats on the floor.

There's no way the band won't get a ton of shit about trying to cash in off Neil's death though. I know their intentions are good but there will be those who won't see it that way. Good idea but probably not the best timing on it.

Not Primus.

They suck anyway.

• Like 5

There's no way the band won't get a ton of shit about trying to cash in off Neil's death though. I know their intentions are good but there will be those who won't see it that way. Good idea but probably not the best timing on it.

this was in the works before neil passed, although I'm sure les knew neil's condition since he was friends with the band. I'm sure if geddy or alex or neil's family had a problem with it, les wouldn't be doing it.

plus, he already covered floyd's animals about 15 years ago with one of his other bands. it's just something he does.

and I doubt this will even increase their tour draw - they're playing the same size venues they always play. people who love rush but dislike primus arent gonna shell out the 45-50 bucks for this

• Like 2

this was in the works before neil passed, although I'm sure les knew neil's condition since he was friends with the band. I'm sure if geddy or alex or neil's family had a problem with it, les wouldn't be doing it.

plus, he already covered floyd's animals about 15 years ago with one of his other bands. it's just something he does.

and I doubt this will even increase their tour draw - they're playing the same size venues they always play. people who love rush but dislike primus arent gonna shell out the 45-50 bucks for this

Rush fans like Primus even if they don’t like their music. The shows will be packed.

• Like 1

Rush fans like Primus even if they don’t like their music. The shows will be packed.

oh, I'm not saying there isn't a significant overlap among the fanbases, I was just weighing in on the whole thing being perceived as a cash-in

• Like 1

Not Primus.

They suck anyway.

they do suck

so much that i may go......

Glad les strikes first in this regard

He is up there with the hardest workers in the music business. he deserves all the sucess.

i saw the claypool lennon delirium. the show was fantastic as are the discs. beatleesque goodness

• Like 1

exactly

jam bands fans embrace good covers.

Imo, dream theater in the portnoy days were the closest prog metal came to a jam band mentality, with great covers

• Like 1

I will admit to knowing nothing about Primus .. but am considering going to this since AFTK is my favorite album. Who will do the singing? Can Les Claypool or someone else in the band sing anywhere in Geddy's AFTK range?

I watched a clip of him covering Spirit of Radio and the vocals were so bad that my wife demanded I turn it off (which I gladly did). Hopefully that's not the treat they have in store for us ..

• Like 1

I will admit to knowing nothing about Primus .. but am considering going to this since AFTK is my favorite album. Who will do the singing? Can Les Claypool or someone else in the band sing anywhere in Geddy's AFTK range?

I watched a clip of him covering Spirit of Radio and the vocals were so bad that my wife demanded I turn it off (which I gladly did). Hopefully that's not the treat they have in store for us ..

That SoR rendition is really bad. Musically though, Primus is great imho and all the instruments will be top notch. And on Primus tunes, Les’ vocals are fine. But he himself has admitted to not being a singer but rather, “a vocalist”. It depends on the song really.

This one’s much better than TSoR cover:

But this is a far cry from what’s belted out on Cygnus X-1. Hope Primus does well.

You never know…

SO. AWESOME.

I saw them open for Rush in New Haven. It was f***ing awesome - I had great seats on the floor.

I was at that show. I had never heard of them. Within a week I went out and traded my fretless for a jazz bass because I wanted to learn to slap. The irony is that Claypool's main 6-string that he slaps is a fretless.

• Like 1

You never know…

SO. AWESOME.

I was at that show. I had never heard of them. Within a week I went out and traded my fretless for a jazz bass because I wanted to learn to slap. The irony is that Claypool's main 6-string that he slaps is a fretless.

Something about that tour man. That show, people were so fired up. I still remember Neil’s drum break in Where’s My Thing, backlit by super hot lights, and the place going bananas.

My brother just texted me telling me this. Pretty cool. I actually didn't know Primus were that big into Rush. I thought they were more into King Crimson. Anyway, cool to hear this. I'm not that much of a Primus fan(although I like some of their stuff)but cool to hear anyway.

And look I expect Portnoy to jump on the bandwagon shortly - I’ll happily skip that one.

No, I think that would be fun. Not sure which project Portnoy would do a Rush tribute with though. Maybe Flying Colors. Maybe Transatlantic for the big epic stuff like 2112 or Hemispheres title track.

That SoR rendition is really bad. Musically though, Primus is great imho and all the instruments will be top notch. And on Primus tunes, Les’ vocals are fine. But he himself has admitted to not being a singer but rather, “a vocalist”. It depends on the song really.

This one’s much better than TSoR cover:

But this is a far cry from what’s belted out on Cygnus X-1. Hope Primus does well.

This may be the trouble. While I bet even Les would say his range isn't in that spot, I would be interested to hear how he would take the vocals.

I would like to see this twice...and tape it both times.

My brother just texted me telling me this. Pretty cool. I actually didn't know Primus were that big into Rush. I thought they were more into King Crimson. Anyway, cool to hear this. I'm not that much of a Primus fan(although I like some of their stuff)but cool to hear anyway.

Do a search and find the 1990s fishing story of Les, Larry, and Geddy on Les’ boat. Gilligan’s Island on the boat