Play Rush "Name That Tune" along with Mike Portnoy (in honor of Neil)

blueschica

This is from Loudwire and Mike Portnoy and I promise, it really is in honor of Neil. (See article below.) It had me laughing out loud (which felt good after the past month.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkbRq69kJ7g

From Loudwire- "Portnoy, a huge Rush fan, starts off with a couple of easy ones, rocking out to "YYZ" and "The Spirit of Radio." After a bit of meditation, the drummer returns and decides to make the segment a "name that tune," specifically calling out his Sons of Apollo bandmate Bumblefoot. See how well you do on Portnoy's Rush "name that tune" challenge.

While the tiny kit was all in good fun, the loss of Rush's Neil Peart is something that truly resonates with Portnoy, who decided this segment should be used for a good cause.

“Losing Neil has been truly devastating and heartbreaking and I don’t want to make light out of that. To get serious for a moment, we are going to auction this off. I’m gonna sign it and the proceeds for this are going to go toward brain cancer research. I just wanted to say, Neil, rest in peace. You’ll always be my hero and I love you. Thank you for everything.”

To place a bid on the signed kit, click here. All proceeds will go toward the American Brain Tumor Association."

To read the whole article- https://loudwire.com...ShtsvdOXgcJwdDc

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 3

This is from Loudwire and Mike Portnoy and I promise, it really is in honor of Neil. (See article below.) It had me laughing out loud (which felt good after the past month.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkbRq69kJ7g

From Loudwire- "Portnoy, a huge Rush fan, starts off with a couple of easy ones, rocking out to "YYZ" and "The Spirit of Radio." After a bit of meditation, the drummer returns and decides to make the segment a "name that tune," specifically calling out his Sons of Apollo bandmate Bumblefoot. See how well you do on Portnoy's Rush "name that tune" challenge.

While the tiny kit was all in good fun, the loss of Rush's Neil Peart is something that truly resonates with Portnoy, who decided this segment should be used for a good cause.

“Losing Neil has been truly devastating and heartbreaking and I don’t want to make light out of that. To get serious for a moment, we are going to auction this off. I’m gonna sign it and the proceeds for this are going to go toward brain cancer research. I just wanted to say, Neil, rest in peace. You’ll always be my hero and I love you. Thank you for everything.”

To place a bid on the signed kit, click here. All proceeds will go toward the American Brain Tumor Association."

To read the whole article- https://loudwire.com...ShtsvdOXgcJwdDc

Classic Becky! Got em all!

Did Mike really sign a black drumhead with a black Sharpie? Does not compute.

I LOVE YOU TOO NEIL!!!! ALWAYS AND FOREVER! MY HERO!!!

• Like 1

Dude. That was actual proof of how memorable each of those drum parts are. I had every answer within a couple seconds, even on that trash kit. Also impressed with Portnoy for actually knowing his stuff, deep cuts and all, and how to play them.
  • Like 2

Dude. That was actual proof of how memorable each of those drum parts are. I had every answer within a couple seconds, even on that trash kit. Also impressed with Portnoy for actually knowing his stuff, deep cuts and all, and how to play them.

Yeah, that's what I found interesting as well! I didn't realize he was so well grounded in Rush!

• Like 2

Yeah, that's what I found interesting as well! I didn't realize he was so well grounded in Rush!

For sure. His meticulous work (back in DT days) on hi-hat and cymbals is very Neil influenced.

• Like 2

Portnoy wants to make everything about Portnoy!

I'm glad I met Mike at an after party on his birthday on the Metal Allegiance Tour last year. He was very nice. We talked about Neil and Rush for about five minutes. I didn't bring up DT, but it was a good conversation.

Mike is a great drummer but he will live in the shadow of Neil FOREVER!

• Like 1

I'm glad I met Mike at an after party on his birthday on the Metal Allegiance Tour last year. He was very nice. We talked about Neil and Rush for about five minutes. I didn't bring up DT, but it was a good conversation.

You probably were best not bringing up DT. Things could have turned ugly if you'd worn a Distance Over Time t-shirt or A Dramatic Turn of Events t-shirt! :LOL:

Was Bobby Blitz at the concert you saw?

• Like 2

You probably were best not bringing up DT. Things could have turned ugly if you'd worn a Distance Over Time t-shirt or A Dramatic Turn of Events t-shirt! :LOL:

Bobby Blotzer? Who is Bobby Blitz? I wore my "Hemispheres" t shirt to the gig because I knew I had afterparty passes with my buddy Dan. He is good friends with John Bush from Armored Saint. Mike loved my shirt (obviously) so it sparked and incredible conversation about RUSH and NEIL........

f**k. There would be no DT without Rush.

Say what you want about Mike, but he's as much a fan as any of us here.

Lol!!

Without:

ELP

Kansas

Yes

Metallica

Iron Maiden

Deep Purple

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Black Sabbath

Genesis

The Who

King Crimson

TOOL

The Beatles

There would be no DT!

• Like 1

Bobby Blotzer? Who is Bobby Blitz? I wore my "Hemispheres" t shirt to the gig because I knew I had afterparty passes with my buddy Dan. He is good friends with John Bush from Armored Saint. Mike loved my shirt (obviously) so it sparked and incredible conversation about RUSH and NEIL........

He's Overkill's lead singer!

Yep! He was there. Not into Overkill! Sorry!! Give me Testament and Death Angel!

• Like 1

Lol!!

Without:

ELP

Kansas

Yes

Metallica

Iron Maiden

Deep Purple

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Black Sabbath

Genesis

The Who

King Crimson

TOOL

The Beatles

There would be no DT!

I hear you. However, both Mike and John have said the same thing - No Rush, no DT.

• Like 1

Lol!!

Without:

ELP

Kansas

Yes

Metallica

Iron Maiden

Deep Purple

Led Zeppelin

Pink Floyd

Black Sabbath

Genesis

The Who

King Crimson

TOOL

The Beatles

There would be no DT!

I hear you. However, both Mike and John have said the same thing - No Rush, no DT.

I know! Mike and John are huge Rush Freaks! Just like us!

Signed,

Cygnus And The Sea Monsters

Yep! He was there. Not into Overkill! Sorry!! Give me Testament and Death Angel!

I love all those bands and Overkill KILLS! Your opinion doesn't count on the subject Earl, you just disqualified yourself! :moon:

I love all those bands and Overkill KILLS! Your opinion doesn't count on the subject Earl, you just disqualified yourself! :moon:

Hahaha! I was disqualified decades ago.

I can't stand Slayer or Exodus either and I know a few guys in Exodus. Great guys.

• Like 1

I can't stand Slayer or Exodus either and I know a few guys in Exodus. Great guys.

Are you sure you like Testament??

Hahaha! Are you trying to take away my Testament card? I do have most of their Japanese pressings. Seen them twice.

But are they my favorite in the Bay Area Thrash scene? Nope!

Give me DEATH ANGEL!

I'm friends with a few of those guys!

• Like 1

Hahaha! Are you trying to take away my Testament card? I do have most of their Japanese pressings. Seen them twice.

But are they my favorite in the Bay Area Thrash scene? Nope!

Give me DEATH ANGEL!

I'm friends with a few of those guys!

Those guys are great. Saw the last Death Angel Christmas show. They always put out 200% live!

• Like 1

Sweet Jesus.

Well at least he played something after Moving Pictures. Didn't think he had it in him.

LOL!

"The Body Electric!"

I wish he did the middle drum section beat to "Red Lenses." The Best! JMO

Neil's drumming on "Red Lenses" is simply divine.

• Like 1