Permanent Waves Boxset to be released on March 27

bscsmkr

Not to continue my whinging too much, but wtf with the locations of the live tracks? Manchester and London are both cities; "Missouri" is not. How about "St. Louis," geography snobs?

Massively disappointed in what could have been, but I'm probably part of the problem because I'm one of those packing suckers mentioned earlier.

• Like 1

Not to continue my whinging too much, but wtf with the locations of the live tracks? Manchester and London are both cities; "Missouri" is not. How about "St. Louis," geography snobs?

Massively disappointed in what could have been, but I'm probably part of the problem because I'm one of those packing suckers mentioned earlier.

Right! I'm sure they wouldn't want people to think the Rush show was from Cape Girardeau!

Edited by ctbadger
  • Like 1

1interesting to break this down a bit. The bonus disc (and bonus material released on the 2112 35th Anniversary set, as well as a "Guitar Hero" track) indicates that AT LEAST one show exists from each of the following:

- Manchester

- London

- St Louis (with "Jacob's Ladder" answering the long-standing question as to whether more exists beyond the commonly-bootlegged FM show)

….and from E...SL:

- Glasgow

This means that there are at least four, and possibly as many as 7 or 8 full 1980 shows in the archive. THAT would make an outstanding box set, along the lines of what Yes did with "Progeny" a few years ago, or what the Grateful Dead release a couple times a year.

• Like 3

Listed on amazon

https://www.amazon.c...ush pwrm&sr=8-5

Changed the cover artwork

These releases by the shitty label that took over is doing nothing but a disservice to Rush fans

Shit they don’t even include the drum solo in honor of Neil

I can’t believe no full show when they obviously have it and multiple nights

This release was a true test to how they could make things right by releasing an amazingly huge boxset filled with stuff we’ve been clamoring for for decades

Geez

God that cover sucks.

• Like 2

But if they don’t release them then all is lost

Why would they not release a great expansive boxset

Makes no sense

Someone posted that the news station recorded quite a bit of concert footage in Buffalo and they’ve been waiting to be asked

Also from the new book wandering the face of the earth it was revealed that Rush recorded so many shows to multi track and filmed some London gigs

Where the hell is this stuff

Why why why would they not release it

So very frustrating

I know Geddy mentioned that these box sets are the record companies things and they don’t have much to do with it but come on

What a disservice to fans

As Ron pointed out they only further the theory of how much they have

Hell start a download site or get on nugs

And that damn cover

WTF

They had a chance to knock it out of the park with this one and they blew it

The reworking of the cover art is nearly as bad as the AFTK 40th anniversary abomination ... :facepalm:

A travesty.

Did Hugh Syme design that piece of shit?

The reworking of the cover art is nearly as bad as the AFTK 40th anniversary abomination ... :facepalm:

A travesty.

"Design" that's being too kind! Someone please have a word with him...

Edited by Enemy Within

A travesty.

A travesty.

"Design" that's being too kind! Someone please have a word with him...

Rod, can you ring him up please and ask him WTF?

• Like 2

Ray Daniels is an Asshole! He is one of the worst managers in the Business. He only cares about the bottom line. Doesnt want to spend money to make money. RUSH should have been a lot more popular than they were. They are just as Good if not Better than Pink Floyd, AC/DC maybe even Led Zeppelin. Other than touring there Asses off never did much promotion for there albums. I Did Not see the Tom Sawyer video until 1996 on Much Music. I never have seen any of there old videos (from the 70's) on MTV ( not now but back in the early to mid 80's) RUSH should have been on a Heavy Rotation in the early 1980's on MTV, not just the ESL videos. So this doesnt surprise me. Anything Less than a Full Remastered and Re-Edited Exit Stage Left video is UNACCEPTABLE. If they try pulling this crap on Moving Pictures and ESL, They can Kiss My ASS!

Ray Daniels is an Asshole! He is one of the worst managers in the Business. He only cares about the bottom line. Doesnt want to spend money to make money. RUSH should have been a lot more popular than they were. They are just as Good if not Better than Pink Floyd, AC/DC maybe even Led Zeppelin. Other than touring there Asses off never did much promotion for there albums. I Did Not see the Tom Sawyer video until 1996 on Much Music. I never have seen any of there old videos (from the 70's) on MTV ( not now but back in the early to mid 80's) RUSH should have been on a Heavy Rotation in the early 1980's on MTV, not just the ESL videos. So this doesnt surprise me. Anything Less than a Full Remastered and Re-Edited Exit Stage Left video is UNACCEPTABLE. If they try pulling this crap on Moving Pictures and ESL, They can Kiss My ASS!

On the AOL Rush board and TNMS in 93 and 94 folks were wondering why a tech savvy band like Rush wouldn't create a concert DVD.

I think now we know why.

Edited by grep

Listed on amazon

These releases by the shitty label that took over is doing nothing but a disservice to Rush fans

This release was a true test to how they could make things right by releasing an amazingly huge boxset filled with stuff we’ve been clamoring for for decades

Geez

I subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited - so I'm streaming the SOR from Manchester track right now. It sounds, not surprisingly, very much like ESL Minor differences in keyboard sound, and Geddy's articulation. That's neither a good nor a bad thing, just an observation.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

Listed on amazon

Geez

I subscribe to Amazon Music Unlimited - so I'm streaming the SOR from Manchester track right now. It sounds, not surprisingly, very much like ESL Minor differences in keyboard sound, and Geddy's articulation. That's neither a good nor a bad thing, just an observation.

On Spotify too.

Mix is MEH. A great deal of hiss.

Cool document though. The playing is great.

• Like 1

Listed on amazon

Geez

On Spotify too.

Mix is MEH. A great deal of hiss.

Cool document though. The playing is great.

Yeah, the energy is undeniable. They were such a f***ing great band.

• Like 1

Another thing I just thought of. I guess this will put to rest any hope of ever hearing a demo of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

If it exists and was ever going to see the light of day, now would be the time.

• Like 2

Knights upon dragons in a spiral array

an attack so grand and complex

time after time they assault the overlords castle

the battlements withstand the effects

Edited by grep

Right! I'm sure they wouldn't want people to think the Rush show was from Cape Girardeau!

Oh, man, that Cape show on the PEW tour is super hard to find!

• Like 1

I will not judge until more official information come forth but a rerelease of the St. Louis show without the missing material is unacceptable. I took a pass on the Hemispheres set for obvious reasons, bought the debut 40th, the 2112 40th (even the blue vinyl re-issue), the AFTK 40th. Got all the vinyl re-issues up to HYF but if I don't get a complete PeW show and then a complete MP show next year - I'm out.

What you said... If this is true, then it's missing the mark, especially since it was reported years back that they recorded a few shows to release, but then decided to record Moving Pictures. Come guys, the "vault" has to have SOME more live stuff!!!

Oh, man, that Cape show on the PEW tour is super hard to find!

That's because when they tore down the Megadome, they couldn't find it even though it was said to be buried in the floor.

Seriously though, I like seeing the additional tracks from shows on this tour, but I am disappointed that they did not include a full show. Because of what is here though, I will probably also end up as one of those who just "buys it".

My main decision may be if I go with the vinyl or the CD. Probably the CD, at least (I would like the vinyl, but I need a new system. Having a turntable that plays records too fast is no fun).

• Like 1

From what I've read in the past, they were as popular as they wanted to be. I'm guessing that if they'd become true superstars in '82 or so, they would never have lasted as long as they did.

• Like 1

OK, some of this has already been mentioned in this thread, but here is a total breakdown (from rushisaband.com)

"Rush has just released The Spirit of Radio live in Manchester from their upcoming Permanent Waves 40th anniversary box set on multiple streaming channels, including Spotify, Amazon Music and

(thanks Matt P). The Amazon Music listing also includes some new artwork, and confirms the March 27th release date along with the bonus content tracklisting that we first reported on Monday. It looks like the release will be similar to 2018's Hemispheres 40th anniversary box set, and be available as a 2-CD set, 3-LP set, or a Deluxe edition that includes a 40-page, hardcover booklet. The first disc will include the 2015 Permanent Waves Abbey Road Studios album remaster on CD for the first time (previously released on vinyl) along with previously unreleased and newly restored bonus content on the bonus disc (2 bonus LP discs). However, unlike the Hemispheres box set, it doesn't look like the Permanent Waves Deluxe edition will include a 5.1 surround sound Blu-ray Audio mix. As we'd pointed out in last week's post, this could be due to the fact that the multi-track master tapes aren't available as Alex Lifeson explained in this 2012 interview. The unreleased, bonus live material will include various tracks from Rush's 1980 Permanent Waves tour, mostly from stops in London and Manchester. Here's the bonus content tracklisting information that is now confirmed via the Amazon Music listing:

1. Beneath, Between & Behind (Live in Manchester)

2. By-Tor & The Snow Dog (Live in London)

3. Xanadu (Live in London)

4. The Spirit Of Radio (Live in Manchester)

5. Natural Science (Live in Manchester)

6. A Passage to Bangkok (Live in Manchester)

7. The Trees (Live in Manchester)

8. Cygnus X-1 (Live in London)

9. Cygnus X-1 Book II (Live in London)

10. Closer To The Heart (Live in Manchester)

11. Jacob's Ladder (Live in Missouri)

12. Freewill (Live in London)

Rush played 2 shows at the Apollo in Manchester from June 17-18, 1980, and 5 shows at the Hammersmith Odeon in London from June 4-8 - so it's assumed that the above tracks are from those shows. Jacob's Ladder is likely from one of the band's 3 shows in St. Louis during February of 1980. "

"UPDATE - 2/12@9:15PM: The product listings for the 2CD (listed at $19.98) and 3LP (listed at $69.98) sets are starting to pop up on Amazon, but still seem to be incomplete - and there's no deluxe edition listed yet. The UK listing for the 3LP set has the following bonus content listed, but it's not clear whether these will come with the standalone 3LP set or the expected deluxe edition (thanks John at Cygnus-X1.net):

* Official Permanent Waves World Tour 1980 Program

* The Words & Pictures Volume II - U.K. Tour Program

* 3 Neil Peart Handwritten Lyric Sheet Lithos

* 3 Band Member Backstage Laminates

* Le Studio 20-page Notepad

* Double-sided 24"x36" Poster

There's nothing posted on any of the official Rush channels, or on the Rush Backstage Club site yet either."

So I guess we still wait??

I still think this release $ucks.

No cover songs. No full shows. Are you fracking kidding me? Does Ole not understand this fanbase and just how rabid and fracking loyal we are? Even after the band has ended?

Second only to to the Grateful f***ing Dead. The f***ing deadheads, if they choose to, can buy almost every fracking soundboard available. Officially. Same for Phishheads... same for the Pearl Jam crowd. Metallica? Fracking locked in, just go to the website.

HELLO!!!!

For f***s sake.... secure the rights to every fracking concert and video and relase them. While the fanbase is still relatively young and has the disposable income to buy it!!!! I'm not getting any younger!!!

Does Ole not see the market here? The desire for product from this epic fracking band?

What part of the formula are they missng? Release the tapes you idiots!!! We'll pay for them!!

Take my fracking money, please.

Feldercarb!!!

Edited by grep
  • Like 2