Toronto 1997 needs an official DVD release

progfan915

I was watching the part of this show (roughly an hour long) included on the R40 blu ray set (not to be confused with R40 Live) and was blown away! And yes, brought to tears again, but that's another topic. The playing was top notch, the video quality was excellent, and they played a number of songs from T4E that were not pulled out again after this tour. Surely there is a market and demand for a DVD release of the full show?

Just my 2 cents.

Oh and Neil kicked ass at this show :NP:

but you knew that already...

• Like 5

Oh I think no doubt there would be a market for it.

As sad as it is to surmise that Neil’s death might make the record company more diligent about readying more live material for release...it sure would be nice, from where I sit.

• Like 2

Could well be some live stuff released. There's been an awful lot of Bowie live recordings released since he passed away, so this is something that record companies do like to do.. Edited by Jimbo66
  • Like 1

Instead of releasing the 1997 video, how about releasing the 1981 Footage, Full Concert. GUP and a Show of Hands as well.

No arguments here! I’d love a full video of all of these, plus whatever else might be in their vault.

Could well be some live stuff released. There's been an awful lot of Bowie live recordings released since he passed away, so this is something that record companies do like to do..

It might be different as Bowie was a solo artist. Given that Ged and Alex are still alive, they may well have a say over future releases.

I was at both of these Toronto shows. The setlist was really epic back then and gladly I had no internet in 1996/97. So when I first saw the tour in San Antonio 1996, it was a nice surprise to learn about the An Evening With... format. Holy shit, they were so good!
  • Like 3

Saw the tour in 1996 and 1997. Absolutely floored me. Still my favorite show. Was very excited when they released a lot of the show on dvd a few years back, but yes they have to do whatever it takes to give that a proper release. A full show with any extras possible.

I think everything is out of their hands as they sold their interests, but hopefully something happens.

They were at their latter day peak IMO

The playing was phenomenal. The setlist was pretty great minus a few exceptions (Virtuality)

Neil was so smooth in his playing.

Just a great tour that needs a proper bluray release

• Like 2

Hasn't it been said that half the show had totally screwed up video and couldn't be salvaged?

I have the opening night video boot from Albany that's pretty kick ass. Sonically it's ok, visually it's excellent.

Hasn't it been said that half the show had totally screwed up video and couldn't be salvaged?

I have the opening night video boot from Albany that's pretty kick ass. Sonically it's ok, visually it's excellent.

Would have been nice if the guy who filmed it got there on time and didn't miss the beginning of the show. (Or maybe I'm thinking about the CD.)

• Like 1

Would have been nice if the guy who filmed it got there on time and didn't miss the beginning of the show. (Or maybe I'm thinking about the CD.)

Believe you're thinking about the CD. DVD begins with the 2001 Intro:

https://www.digitalrushexperience.com/database/review.php?RecordingID=1265

• Like 1

Can anyone fill me in on what happened with the portions of video that were deemed "unusable"?Was something wrong with the footage or was it damaged? I'm still mystified about that.

Can you expand on this? I believe Geddy's bro was in charge of the filming. Find it odd that he would miss the beginning of the performance - not to mention it's an entire production day prepping for a multicam shoot like that...

Can you expand on this? I believe Geddy's bro was in charge of the filming. Find it odd that he would miss the beginning of the performance - not to mention it's an entire production day prepping for a multicam shoot like that...

I suspect he was talking about the Albany boot, not the official Toronto film.

Can anyone fill me in on what happened with the portions of video that were deemed "unusable"?Was something wrong with the footage or was it damaged? I'm still mystified about that.

For years the story was that there were issues with audio and video synchronization and it would be too much work to fix it. As I understood it, the entire show was affected. That always sounded a little weird to me, sync issues aren't hard to fix in the computer era. And lo and behold, we eventually got an hour of perfectly fine footage, which makes the original claim even more mysterious.

If it's expensive to fix, wouldn't it make sense to make a standalone release out of it to try and recoup as much of the cost as possible? You don't put a lot of pricey work into something just to make it a bonus feature. Plus, if you're going to fix it, why not fix all of it?

So there are two possibilities: either they couldn't fix all of it, or they didn't want to fix all of it. With any other band, I'd say the former makes the most sense. But Rush have a habit of releasing live shows in dribs and drabs, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they just decided to only do a bit of the show and the rest of the footage is sitting in the vault.

• Like 3

I was talking about the guy who filmed/recorded opening night. Maybe I should dig that out this weekend revisit it. Wasn't the best performance ever but the crowd was great.

• Like 2

I was talking about the guy who filmed/recorded opening night. Maybe I should dig that out this weekend revisit it. Wasn't the best performance ever but the crowd was great.

I know both nights of the show were recorded by a fan in the audience. I have the first show saved on my computer and the second show is available on a YouTube channel called RollTheFemurs.

I know both nights of the show were recorded by a fan in the audience. I have the first show saved on my computer and the second show is available on a YouTube channel called RollTheFemurs.

I'm confused. Opening night 1996 was in Albany.which is only available on bootlegs That was reference for my comment. There are bootlegs of both Toronto shows as well and a good portion of Toronto that has now seen an official release.

I'm confused. Opening night 1996 was in Albany.which is only available on bootlegs That was reference for my comment. There are bootlegs of both Toronto shows as well and a good portion of Toronto that has now seen an official release.

My mistake. I didn't realize that. I thought you were talking about Toronto. I have seen the footage of the opening night of the tour.

• Like 1

I suspect he was talking about the Albany boot, not the official Toronto film.

For years the story was that there were issues with audio and video synchronization and it would be too much work to fix it. As I understood it, the entire show was affected. That always sounded a little weird to me, sync issues aren't hard to fix in the computer era. And lo and behold, we eventually got an hour of perfectly fine footage, which makes the original claim even more mysterious.

If it's expensive to fix, wouldn't it make sense to make a standalone release out of it to try and recoup as much of the cost as possible? You don't put a lot of pricey work into something just to make it a bonus feature. Plus, if you're going to fix it, why not fix all of it?

So there are two possibilities: either they couldn't fix all of it, or they didn't want to fix all of it. With any other band, I'd say the former makes the most sense. But Rush have a habit of releasing live shows in dribs and drabs, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they just decided to only do a bit of the show and the rest of the footage is sitting in the vault.

Yes… because if you notice, the songs that were omitted are songs that are available on other DVD releases. That was also a common thing with Rush as they didn’t seem to want to put too many repeat songs on their live releases. So, I have no doubts that this whole show is sitting in the vaults, perfectly fine.