Neil Peart Drum Clinic 1992

yyzjam

I thought this was a really cool video showing all the intricacies that go into a Rush show plus how hard Neil actually plays (that footwork!) Bravado especially is quite insane. Just love seeing Neil explain what went into each song and how raw and upfront his playing and sound is in this video.

Edited by yyzjam
  • Like 9

An incredible drummer. An incredible mind. An incredible life.

It still doesn't feel real.

Yeah, I hear you.

I find it totally insane that people rip Neil for being a recluse. Now I get it. When he is private and alone he doesn't want to meet a fan. Trust me. I know. I met Neil that way.

But when Neil is in an interview or doing this amazing drum clinic he is so wonderful. So articulate and animated.

He talks more than me! LOL!

I mean types? Sorry, inside joke for all of my friends on here.

Neil is IT!

He gave so much and took in so much grief and tragedy.

He prevailed and yet still ended up with a shortened life.

So sad, but yet he is such a positive light on this Earth.

I will continue his Legacy through me by just putting on my headphones in my garage and playing my drums to the Rush Canon.

I love how Neil used to play with tips down and stick butts UP! "FACE UP!!"

I know the picture quality of this seminar is fuzzy and the audio isn't great with the wind and the planes flying above, but if they were to ever try and preserve this video I would hope it would be on blu-ray one day. 4K 8K

Whatever!!!

• Like 2

An incredible drummer. An incredible mind. An incredible life.

It still doesn't feel real.

Yeah, I hear you.

I find it totally insane that people rip Neil for being a recluse. Now I get it. When he is private and alone he doesn't want to meet a fan. Trust me. I know. I met Neil that way.

But when Neil is in an interview or doing this amazing drum clinic he is so wonderful. So articulate and animated.

He talks more than me! LOL!

I mean types? Sorry, inside joke for all of my friends on here.

Neil is IT!

He gave so much and took in so much grief and tragedy.

He prevailed and yet still ended up with a shortened life.

So sad, but yet he is such a positive light on this Earth.

I will continue his Legacy through me by just putting on my headphones in my garage and playing my drums to the Rush Canon.

I love how Neil used to play with tips down and stick butts UP! "FACE UP!!"

I know the picture quality of this seminar is fuzzy and the audio isn't great with the wind and the planes flying above, but if they were to ever try and preserve this video I would hope it would be on blu-ray one day. 4K 8K

Whatever!!!

I always looked at it this that Neil was very much a personable person when he was the "musician" Neil Peart at work in a certain setting. He was talkative and friendly and outgoing. When he wasn't at work and when he was Neil Peart away from the job, he wanted his privacy respected. Neil got a lot of shit, but he was so forthcoming in his interviews and writing and really let us into his world and thoughts. He did everything HIS way.

Also this clinic has always been a treasure. I remember having this sent to me many many years ago before it was ever leaked online and I watched in constantly. I once heard it was sent to Anthem for Neil and the vault. Don't know if that ever happened.

• Like 1

I'd like to chime in as far as Neil being a recluse, rude, etc... I never did meet him, but through his books and online journals I came to feel like I understood a lot about him.

He shared a tremendous amount, even his innermost thoughts during his Ghost Rider days.

It's not that he didn't appreciate praise (he's on record saying it's "awfully nice" and how he especially values praise from his peers and from the "praiseworthy"). It's that he didn't enjoy the gloating and interruptions during his private time. There is a huge difference here that I think was often lost on fans.

It's not that he didn't want to talk drumming, but he didn't want someone to make a scene when he was gassing up his car or at the bar. He certainly would have enjoyed a smile on a trail and a, "hey, I love your work - great solo last night!" He appreciated class, decorum and balance.

• Like 3

I'd like to chime in as far as Neil being a recluse, rude, etc... I never did meet him, but through his books and online journals I came to feel like I understood a lot about him.

He shared a tremendous amount, even his innermost thoughts during his Ghost Rider days.

It's not that he didn't appreciate praise (he's on record saying it's "awfully nice" and how he especially values praise from his peers and from the "praiseworthy"). It's that he didn't enjoy the gloating and interruptions during his private time. There is a huge difference here that I think was often lost on fans.

It's not that he didn't want to talk drumming, but he didn't want someone to make a scene when he was gassing up his car or at the bar. He certainly would have enjoyed a smile on a trail and a, "hey, I love your work - great solo last night!" He appreciated class, decorum and balance.

"We will call you Cygnus....the God Of Balance you shall be..........."

Neil Peart

Really amazing seeing him play in that environment and hearing the drums like that. Got a bit of that from the front row once but the magnitude and force of how he plays still gets lost a bit with all the music and sound. The power he plays with is stunning. I kind of knew that from dissecting every note of every album and 17 concerts and everything else, but displayed like that really is, I don't know. Looking for an elusive word. Looking at his fairly skinny arms, I don't care how much is technique, he shouldn't be able to hit that hard with that kind of speed. I've played for 40 years, I know a few things. Neil was just a freak of nature.
  • Like 1