Didn't know where to ask about this. Chinese Coronavirus outbreak?

Entre_Perpetuo

Have people here heard about the new virus coming out of Wuhan China? I've been reading a lot about it the past couple days and it seems really scary. They're quarantining mega-cities across China on account of a disease that's reportedly only been found in a couple thousand people and has only killed 50 or so.

Yes, this has been all over the news for about a week now.

As of tonight, there are five known cases in the US- the first was in Seattle, then one each in Texas and Chicago, and now in Arizona and California- and all of them are people who had just arrived back in the US from that city of Wuhan.

Chinese officials issued a quarantine late last week, so everyone is banned from going into or out of that city now.

It reportedly originated in a marketplace that was selling live animals as food...yikes.

Edit: True, there are far, far fewer people infected with it than, say, the flu virus- but this is something that a person who is infected can have absolutely no symptoms at all, and spread it, through the air, to others. And evidently we’re at least six months away from developing a vaccine for it.

I won’t be getting on any airplanes anytime soon.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 4

Have people here heard about the new virus coming out of Wuhan China? I've been reading a lot about it the past couple days and it seems really scary. They're quarantining mega-cities across China on account of a disease that's reportedly only been found in a couple thousand people and has only killed 50 or so.

The Chinese government was slow to admit to, and to try and help with the SARS virus in 2003 and as a consequence it really spread. I think they are trying to look like they're being more active this time. I feel bad for the people in the quarantined cities, one British man was on the BBC the other night; his elderly mom was visiting and stuck there due to all this.

On the other hand I have a friend who is a microbiologist and those guys absolutely believe that something like this (or worse) is ready to happen because the world is so connected these days. I just don't like people coughing on me, at me, etc which seems to happen frequently these days!

• Like 1

If we could get a clan of people in Wuhan to tackle the problem, I think it could be eradicated.

That's right, a Wuhan Clan.

Early intervention is the only way to avoid a disaster that would turn the area's economy inside out. A real Wuhan, China crash. Edited by goose
  • Like 4

It's just one more thing to make everyone anxious and running around like chickens without heads.

Coincidentally, that's how the various transferred to humans...eating weird animal bits.
  • Like 2

It's just one more thing to make everyone anxious and running around like chickens without heads.

Ignore it.

When it's your time to go, you'll go, and not a moment sooner.

Lorraine gets it.

Do you know how many of these scares I've lived through? Sooner or later, you start to feel like someone is just making a fool of you.

• Like 1

Ignore it.

When it's your time to go, you'll go, and not a moment sooner.

Lorraine gets it.

social-issues-nihilism-nihilists-philosophy-convention-party_crasher-bven1438_low.jpg
  • Like 2

Death will catch up with you sooner or later.

In the meantime, don't waste the precious time you have living in fear of it.

Go out and have a ball. You're only young once.

True that.
  • Like 2

I’m not living in fear of this but at the same time I’ve got to be more at risk living in Osaka than most in North America. Given the sardine-like packed trains here with regular germs being spread due to close proximity (people cough without covering their mouths every train ride) coupled with the high volume of Chinese tourists visiting here and nearby Kyoto, the risk must be much greater. Just saying.
  • Like 2