Didn't know where to ask about this. Chinese Coronavirus outbreak?

Entre_Perpetuo

There are some people who believe it's related to Corona beer. True story.

One of my snarky responses on another board was "avoid Coronavirus, drink Negra Modelo."

• Like 3

It's just one more thing to make everyone anxious and running around like chickens without heads.

Ignore it.

When it's your time to go, you'll go, and not a moment sooner.

Lorraine gets it.

Do you know how many of these scares I've lived through? Sooner or later, you start to feel like someone is just making a fool of you.

When I was wee it was the swine flu that had everyone wigged out. Then SARS. This isn't keeping me up nights. I'm low-risk anyway; I work from home at a job that does not require me to interact with the unwashed masses, have no kids to bring home nasty things, and SO is mostly retired.

• Like 1

Over 70,000 infected globally according to YouTube. Over a hundred cases in a country as far removed as Italy, where my classmates a year below me have been studying abroad all year... and may have to be sent home early.

Over 70,000 infected globally according to YouTube. Over a hundred cases in a country as far removed as Italy, where my classmates a year below me have been studying abroad all year... and may have to be sent home early.

Hell, some countries won’t let me in because I live in Japan. If I try to go back for a U.S. visit there’s a good chance I’d spend my time in quarantine

The media is whipping up the hype because they're hoping it will slow the economy down or force an outright recession. They want Trump out of office.

Ooooh, conspiracy theories! Fun; I wanna play. Let's see . . . uh . . . the media is whipping up the hype because they're hoping it will depress voter turnout in November and give Trump an excuse to build walls to keep out all those foreign disease-ridden vermin, some of whom, I'm sure, are good people.

It's a serious matter, but not yet as serious as the flu; it will probably work its way around the world, but that doesn't mean the end of humanity. Many people may get sick for a couple of days and then get well.

Edited by Nova Carmina
  • Like 2

The media is whipping up the hype because they're hoping it will slow the economy down or force an outright recession. They want Trump out of office.

Ooooh, conspiracy theories! Fun; I wanna play. Let's see . . . uh . . . the media is whipping up the hype because they're hoping it will depress voter turnout in November and give Trump an excuse to build walls to keep out all those foreign disease-ridden vermin, some of whom, I'm sure, are good people.

It's a serious matter, but not yet as serious as the flu; it will probably work its way around the world, but that doesn't mean the end of humanity. Many people may get sick for a couple of days and then get well.

The virus is tricky in that it appears to spread during an incubation period as long as 27 days.

And we're supposed to call it COvid-19 now, which is less racist against Mexican beer.

• Like 1

The media is whipping up the hype because they're hoping it will slow the economy down or aforce an outright recession. They want Trump out of office.

The Dow was down 1000 points yesterday and it was blamed on fears about the Corona virus.

Specifically, it was down due to fears about coronavirus disrupting manufacturing supply chains in South Korea (it already has done this) because of the virus being widespread in South Korea and affecting worker turnout (it already has.) South Korea manufactures a lot of medical supplies, devices, heavy industrial equipment, and many pharmaceuticals.

These disruptions have already happened; I see that as being different than rumors floating around about this affecting elections. ( and I hope our washing machine holds out as it sounds like a new one might be expensive! )

Edited by blueschica

The media is whipping up the hype because they're hoping it will slow the economy down or aforce an outright recession. They want Trump out of office.

The Dow was down 1000 points yesterday and it was blamed on fears about the Corona virus.

Specifically, it was down due to fears about coronavirus disrupting manufacturing supply chains in South Korea (it already has done this) because of the virus being widespread in South Korea and affecting worker turnout (it already has.) South Korea manufactures a lot of medical supplies, devices, heavy industrial equipment, and many pharmaceuticals.

These disruptions have already happened; I see that as being different than rumors floating around about this affecting elections. ( and I hope our washing machine holds out as it sounds like a new one might be expensive! )

In addition to the concerns about workers on the supply side, a surprising percentage of Chinese goods is shipped in the cargo holds of passenger jets.

• Like 1

I just got a new job. The onboarding papers included a questionnaire about whether I've been to China or knowingly in contact with someone infected with Covid-19.

People are starting to take this threat seriously, and rightly so. This isn't a virus to be trifled with. Long incubation period, can be spread before symptoms show up, and it's known to attack both upper and lower respiratory system - and cause other organ damage. Even in young, fit people.

What's promising is that the 'spike protein' on the virus is supposedly similar to that of SARS1. So existing drugs 'might' work to disrupt it. But we won't know that for a while.

In the meantime, take this one seriously. If it breaks containment, (and it may have already, we'll know in a month), many people may die.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

Over 600,000 people die every year from the flu. This panic seems media contrived.

Nothing excites the media like the possibility of widespread pestilence, woe, and death. Today's news bureaus would have had a field day with the 1918 Spanish influenza. (Before anyone else can say it - "Nobody wants a Spanish influenza!" You're welcome).

• Like 1

Nothing excites the media like the possibility of widespread pestilence, woe, and death. Today's news bureaus would have had a field day with the 1918 Spanish influenza. (Before anyone else can say it - "Nobody wants a Spanish influenza!" You're welcome).

Well, yeah, no expects the Spanish Influenza. That's why surprise is their greatest weapon. Surprise and Fear. Their two greatest weapons . . .

I'm generally not a person who's down on the media (except as a ratings-crazed, profits-driven, typical capitalist enterprise), but it is true that nothing gets the juices flowing like disaster. I assume the fires are still burning in Australia and Brazil (?), but the media got bored and moved on. Pandemics have lots of narrative promise and the potential for eyeballs and ears for months.

Diligence but not paranoia is probably the best approach.

• Like 5

We are all going to die.

I prefer the Pacificovirus.

Corona sucks.

Thanks China! Doesn't surprise me at all. Idiot humans making bat head soup or eating armadillo cock brats. "Idiots Rule." Jane's Addiction!

God Bless Ozzy Osborne. F U CHINA!

Ever see "Outbreak?"

Signed,

Dustin Hoffman

It's here kids. RUN!

Thank you China and Millennials.

We will all be dead in 5 years.

Well, yeah, no expects the Spanish Influenza. That's why surprise is their greatest weapon. Surprise and Fear. Their two greatest weapons . . .

I'm generally not a person who's down on the media (except as a ratings-crazed, profits-driven, typical capitalist enterprise), but it is true that nothing gets the juices flowing like disaster. I assume the fires are still burning in Australia and Brazil (?), but the media got bored and moved on. Pandemics have lots of narrative promise and the potential for eyeballs and ears for months.

Diligence but not paranoia is probably the best approach.

I just want to hear "The Weapon" by RUSH.

F CHINA

I'm "Paranoid."

Love,

BLACK SABBATH

Black Sunday is coming.

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" Too. U2?

UPOO!

Thanks China.

Keep burning coal and eating bat bodies shaved like the head of Vanilla Ice.

We are all doomed.

Thank you.

I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose Freewill.

I live 4 miles from John Muir Hospital. There are two Coronavirus minus lime patients there now. These idiots flew in 178 people infected into Travis Air Force Base.

Oh yeah, I can kid about it all I want.

The Coronavirus is down the street from me. Worst beer and virus ever.

I'm going to contract the Grey Goose Virus. Three olives. Shaken, not stirred. A bit dirty but not too slutty.

RUSH ON!

There are some people who believe it's related to Corona beer. True story.

Well, I now know what I’m posting in the facepalm thread today. At least my assumption of the city in Riverside County would have made SLIGHTLY more sense.

Speaking of which, UC Davis was trending because of a patient with it and people apparently don’t know the difference between the University and the medical center that is 15-20 minutes north of it in the state capital. :facepalm: I especially know this since my cousin went to that university.

Wait until they find out the Lakers and Kings used to play in Inglewood.

Edited by invisible airwave