48 replies to this topic

#41 Vectorman

Vectorman

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:23 AM

View PostKenJennings, on 07 March 2020 - 12:11 AM, said:

Episode 6 and 7 came back very strong after what was IMO a week 5th episode. Riker and Troi's family life almost served as an old fashioned breather episode like "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" or "His Way" from Deep Space Nine. I was very moved to see them all back together again. More so than I expected to be.

I'm loving this show so much. Seeing these characters again is a real pleasure.

I couldn't agree more. It was like coming back home after a very long time away. Particularly after that episode, I was left with a "why did it take so long for this to happen" feeling. It does feel unfortunate that those characters were shelved for nearly two decades, thinking of all the additional stories that could have been told with them during that time. It seems like, for whatever reasons, ST offerings since TNG went away have had a hard time capturing our hearts to the same degree - and then these actors come back and, seemingly effortlessly, remind everyone how it's done.

Sponsored Post

#42 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 32684 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:56 AM

Season one of Old Man Picard has come to a mostly satisfying end. One element of the finale was done much better by The Orville, another element feels forced when you know season two is coming. Grade B-

#43 Rushman14

Rushman14

Mr. Hollywood

• Members *
  • 12804 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:14 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 27 March 2020 - 08:56 AM, said:

Season one of Old Man Picard has come to a mostly satisfying end. One element of the finale was done much better by The Orville, another element feels forced when you know season two is coming. Grade B-

I thought the series was a solid B+

Loved the scene with Picard and Data

#44 KenJennings

KenJennings

Mr. Establishment

• Members *
  • 21999 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:01 AM

I wish they hadn't brought back Data at the end. Data died at the end of Nemesis, and I was very comfortable with Soji carrying some little piece of him, and serving as the 'voice from beyond the grave'. Bringing him back in earnest felt like being beat with a nostalgia bat, and having to say goodbye to a beloved character all over again, for no reason other than to say "this time we'll get it right".  

The notion of Picard being made into a synth was a little too telegraphed, but ultimately handled well enough.

The biggest problem with the series, and the final two episodes in particular was the breakneck pacing. While they closed the major holes, they left a number of details underserved. For instance, what became of Narek? He was totally forgotten after being tackled by a synth during the final fight. Does Jurati have to stand trial for Maddox' muder? Where the hell did that Seven/Raffi thing come from? What kind of leadership changes are happening with the Federation as a result of the Tal Shair infiltrator being exposed? And what becomes of the xBs? Do they just get left on that planet in a crumpled cube? These questions (and others) could've been addressed instead of spending all that time redoing Data's death.

Unfortunately, the choices in the last two episodes dragged down what could've been an A or A- series to a B or B+. Some very slight tweaks could've made it so much better.

Edited by KenJennings, 27 March 2020 - 11:18 AM.

#45 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 38880 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    After Forever
    The Juliana Theory
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge

Posted 31 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

I’m not shocked by the amount of swearing in Star Trek: Picard, because that’s something that’s been common to every human language forever and only makes the dialogue sound more realistic, but it does make me wonder: since in Star Trek IV, Spock explains to Kirk that 20th Century American English profanity was a once-common linguistic feature that has since died out, then if at some point in the Star Trek™️ universe, swearing became once again socially acceptable, why would they automatically default to 400-year-old terms? Wouldn’t “f***ing” to them be the equivalent of “Zounds!” to you or I?

#46 grep

grep

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1684 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:08 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 31 March 2020 - 02:20 PM, said:

I’m not shocked by the amount of swearing in Star Trek: Picard, because that’s something that’s been common to every human language forever and only makes the dialogue sound more realistic, but it does make me wonder: since in Star Trek IV, Spock explains to Kirk that 20th Century American English profanity was a once-common linguistic feature that has since died out, then if at some point in the Star Trek™️ universe, swearing became once again socially acceptable, why would they automatically default to 400-year-old terms? Wouldn’t “f***ing” to them be the equivalent of “Zounds!” to you or I?

Blame the Universal Translator.  They say Feldercarb, we hear Bullshit.

#47 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 32684 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 04:52 PM

View Postgrep, on 31 March 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

Blame the Universal Translator.  They say Feldercarb, we hear Bullshit.

Posted Image

#48 Fordgalaxy

Fordgalaxy

The Sphere

• Members *
  • 9827 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 05:54 PM

Not Picard, but at least Star Trek.

Posted Image

#49 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 20063 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 06:04 PM

Because they have writers that know nothing about Star Trek.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users