Wandering the Face of the Earth Book Live Recordings Observations

bscsmkr

I recently finished the new book Wandering the Face of The Earth by Skip Daly and Eric Hansen (Power Windows Website) and I must say that the book is absolutely fantastic.

The book is so well researched and so well put together that it makes for a fascinating and informative read. Definitely highly recommended. The book is a great addition to any Rush fan collection.

So much information is put into this book and I know a lot of time was put into the book as well. Just an amazing book that I had a hard time putting down. The book is a massive undertaking and you could even use the book as a weapon if needed as it's heavy as hell.

While I was reading the book quite a few things stuck out to me, but one subject in particular and that was all the shows listed as being recorded to multi-track and soundboard and video. I don't know where the information was found and corroborated, but that is what makes this so interesting about the possibilities. Some of course we as fans always knew about and some have already leaked. But there are quite a few that have not seen the light of day. A lot of soundboards back in the day were recorded by Ian Grandy. And a lot of soundboards that have been released by fans are not listed. Also I know most of us assume almost all tours were recorded to soundboard with specific shows being recorded to multi-track for future live releases.

Listed below are some dates that stood out to me. Sorry if this is a waste of time and reading for most of you, but I found it interesting and thought some of you would as well.

Seattle March 26th 1976 - Recorded by radio station KZOK-FM to be broadcast on 04/20/76

Binghamton, NY 9/17/76 - Recorded to soundboard by Ian Grandy. Didn't make a copy. Might still have it. Said it was a horrible performance. Never presented to the band because of that.

Passaic, NJ 12/10/76 - Recorded by venue. Eventually released first on ROIO and then officially

London, England February 19-20 1978 Hammersmith - recorded by BBC Radio. Eventually released officially (DS and AFTK boxset)

Tucson, AZ November 20, 1978 - Recorded by Ian to soundboard. Famous ROIO released many times over

London May 4-7, 1979 Hammersmith - ALL 4 NIGHTS WERE RECORDED TO MULTI-TRACK FOR A FUTURE LIVE RELEASE CALLED "LIVE IN ENGLAND" AS WELL AS FILMED FOR A FEATURE MOVIE THAT WAS PLANNED FOR A SUMMER 1980 RELEASE. ALSO IAN RECORDED AT LEAST ONE SHOW TO SOUNDBOARD

Germany May 28, 1979 - Ian recorded to soundboard. Geddy hated how it sounded. The popular Black Forest boot release

Holland Pink Pop Festival June 4, 1979 - Radio Recorded.

St. Louis February 11-13 1980 - All shows recorded by NBC radio and edited. Not sure if full show still exists. Released as very popular ROIO

London June 4-8 1980 Hammersmith - All shows recorded to Multi-Track

Glasgow Scotland June 10-11 1980 - Both shows recorded to Multi-Track

Newcastle England June 12-13 1980 - both shows recorded to Multi-Track

Manchester England June 17-18 1980 - both shows recorded to Multi-Track

La Crosse, WI February 24, 1981 - Terry Brown films entire performance with a handheld camera

Toronto Canada March 23-25 1981 - Shows recorded to Multi-Track

Montreal Canada March 27, 1981 - Filmed and recorded for ESL (no mention if additional footage exists)

Ottawa Canada March 28, 1981 - Recorded to Multi-Track

Vancouver BC June 23, 1981 - Recorded to Multi-Track

Edmonton Canada June 25, 1981 - Recorded to Multi-Track

***Nothing mentioned about any shows being recorded to soundboard or multi-track on the Signals Tour***

***Nothing mentioned about any shows being recorded to soundboard or multi-track on the Radio City Music Hall 5 night stand***

Toronto, ON September 21-22 1984 - Both shows recorded to Multi-Track and filmed for GUP tour live video (no mention if any other footage exists or the multi-tracks still exist for complete show)

East Rutherford, NY March 31st and April 1st 1986 - both shows recorded to Multi-Track

Springfield, Mass April 3, 1986 - Recorded to Multi-Track

Uniondale, NY April 4, 1986 - Recorded to Multi-Track

binghamton, NY April 13, 1986 - recorded to multi-track

Philadelphia, PA April 14 & 16, 1986 - Both shows recorded to multi-track

New Haven, CT December 4 1987 - Lock and Key filmed

Little Rock, AR January 26, 1988 - Recorded to multi-track

New Orleans, LA January 27, 1988 - Recorded to multi-track

Houston, TX January 29, 1988 - Recorded to multi-track

Austin, TX January 30, 1988 - recorded to multi-track

Phoenix, AZ February 1, 1988 - Recorded to multi-track

San Diego February 3, 1988 - recorded to multi-track

Los Angeles (The Forum) February 4-5, 1988 - Both shows recorded to multi-track

Birmingham England April 21, 23-24, 1988 - Recorded all shows to multi-track and filmed for ASOH

***No real mention of any presto multi-tracks or soundboards***

Auburn Hills, MI March 8, 1990 - Closed circuit in house television records performance (eventually released)

Mountain View, CA June 27, 1990 - Filmed (not by band)

Irvine, CA June 4 1992 - Professionally Filmed by Atlantic Records. No footage has been seen

***No other mention of multi-track or soundboard recordings from the RTB tour*** (Of course we all know plenty were recorded to soundboard and released as ROIO's

Auburn Hills, MI March 22, 1994 - Recorded to Multi-Track

Philadelphia, PA April 29-30, 1994 - Recorded to Multi-Track

(I assume way more shows were recorded on this tour)

Test for Echo Tour - I am assuming all shows were recorded at least on the 2nd leg

Most likely all shows were recorded to soundboard since 1981 with specific shows shows recorded to multi-track

Not a lot of video mentioning

I know this might be a pointless post, but I wanted to bring it up and I am sure I missed some stuff as it was a lot of typing for me and reading

BUY THE BOOK. IT IS WORTH IT.

• Like 5

Thanks for your hard work. :cheers:

My hope for future releases relies on Geddy's distinctive collecting mania.

I really think he has most, if not all, of this unreleased stuff.

• Like 2

I just recently got the book as well, and I’m not nearly all the way through it- I haven’t been reading it very much in order, chronologically, but mostly skipping around and looking at various dates on particular tours.

To add to the comments above about recordings of specific shows, I remember seeing a quote from Alex as I was reading through it last night, about a tape he has of a show they played in 1970...so in addition to the Rush that we came to know from the debut album onward, I wonder how much of the really, really early shows exist in recordings.

• Like 1

I recently finished the new book Wandering the Face of The Earth by Skip Daly and Eric Hansen (Power Windows Website) and I must say that the book is absolutely fantastic.

The book is so well researched and so well put together that it makes for a fascinating and informative read. Definitely highly recommended. The book is a great addition to any Rush fan collection.

So much information is put into this book and I know a lot of time was put into the book as well. Just an amazing book that I had a hard time putting down. The book is a massive undertaking and you could even use the book as a weapon if needed as it's heavy as hell.

While I was reading the book quite a few things stuck out to me, but one subject in particular and that was all the shows listed as being recorded to multi-track and soundboard and video. I don't know where the information was found and corroborated, but that is what makes this so interesting about the possibilities. Some of course we as fans always knew about and some have already leaked. But there are quite a few that have not seen the light of day. A lot of soundboards back in the day were recorded by Ian Grandy. And a lot of soundboards that have been released by fans are not listed. Also I know most of us assume almost all tours were recorded to soundboard with specific shows being recorded to multi-track for future live releases.

Listed below are some dates that stood out to me. Sorry if this is a waste of time and reading for most of you, but I found it interesting and thought some of you would as well.

Seattle March 26th 1976 - Recorded by radio station KZOK-FM to be broadcast on 04/20/76

Binghamton, NY 9/17/76 - Recorded to soundboard by Ian Grandy. Didn't make a copy. Might still have it. Said it was a horrible performance. Never presented to the band because of that.

Passaic, NJ 12/10/76 - Recorded by venue. Eventually released first on ROIO and then officially

London, England February 19-20 1978 Hammersmith - recorded by BBC Radio. Eventually released officially (DS and AFTK boxset)

Tucson, AZ November 20, 1978 - Recorded by Ian to soundboard. Famous ROIO released many times over

London May 4-7, 1979 Hammersmith - ALL 4 NIGHTS WERE RECORDED TO MULTI-TRACK FOR A FUTURE LIVE RELEASE CALLED "LIVE IN ENGLAND" AS WELL AS FILMED FOR A FEATURE MOVIE THAT WAS PLANNED FOR A SUMMER 1980 RELEASE. ALSO IAN RECORDED AT LEAST ONE SHOW TO SOUNDBOARD

Germany May 28, 1979 - Ian recorded to soundboard. Geddy hated how it sounded. The popular Black Forest boot release

Holland Pink Pop Festival June 4, 1979 - Radio Recorded.

St. Louis February 11-13 1980 - All shows recorded by NBC radio and edited. Not sure if full show still exists. Released as very popular ROIO

London June 4-8 1980 Hammersmith - All shows recorded to Multi-Track

Glasgow Scotland June 10-11 1980 - Both shows recorded to Multi-Track

Newcastle England June 12-13 1980 - both shows recorded to Multi-Track

Manchester England June 17-18 1980 - both shows recorded to Multi-Track

La Crosse, WI February 24, 1981 - Terry Brown films entire performance with a handheld camera

Toronto Canada March 23-25 1981 - Shows recorded to Multi-Track

Montreal Canada March 27, 1981 - Filmed and recorded for ESL (no mention if additional footage exists)

Ottawa Canada March 28, 1981 - Recorded to Multi-Track

Vancouver BC June 23, 1981 - Recorded to Multi-Track

Edmonton Canada June 25, 1981 - Recorded to Multi-Track

***Nothing mentioned about any shows being recorded to soundboard or multi-track on the Signals Tour***

***Nothing mentioned about any shows being recorded to soundboard or multi-track on the Radio City Music Hall 5 night stand***

Toronto, ON September 21-22 1984 - Both shows recorded to Multi-Track and filmed for GUP tour live video (no mention if any other footage exists or the multi-tracks still exist for complete show)

East Rutherford, NY March 31st and April 1st 1986 - both shows recorded to Multi-Track

Springfield, Mass April 3, 1986 - Recorded to Multi-Track

Uniondale, NY April 4, 1986 - Recorded to Multi-Track

binghamton, NY April 13, 1986 - recorded to multi-track

Philadelphia, PA April 14 & 16, 1986 - Both shows recorded to multi-track

New Haven, CT December 4 1987 - Lock and Key filmed

Little Rock, AR January 26, 1988 - Recorded to multi-track

New Orleans, LA January 27, 1988 - Recorded to multi-track

Houston, TX January 29, 1988 - Recorded to multi-track

Austin, TX January 30, 1988 - recorded to multi-track

Phoenix, AZ February 1, 1988 - Recorded to multi-track

San Diego February 3, 1988 - recorded to multi-track

Los Angeles (The Forum) February 4-5, 1988 - Both shows recorded to multi-track

Birmingham England April 21, 23-24, 1988 - Recorded all shows to multi-track and filmed for ASOH

***No real mention of any presto multi-tracks or soundboards***

Auburn Hills, MI March 8, 1990 - Closed circuit in house television records performance (eventually released)

Mountain View, CA June 27, 1990 - Filmed (not by band)

Irvine, CA June 4 1992 - Professionally Filmed by Atlantic Records. No footage has been seen

***No other mention of multi-track or soundboard recordings from the RTB tour*** (Of course we all know plenty were recorded to soundboard and released as ROIO's

Auburn Hills, MI March 22, 1994 - Recorded to Multi-Track

Philadelphia, PA April 29-30, 1994 - Recorded to Multi-Track

(I assume way more shows were recorded on this tour)

Test for Echo Tour - I am assuming all shows were recorded at least on the 2nd leg

Most likely all shows were recorded to soundboard since 1981 with specific shows shows recorded to multi-track

Not a lot of video mentioning

I know this might be a pointless post, but I wanted to bring it up and I am sure I missed some stuff as it was a lot of typing for me and reading

BUY THE BOOK. IT IS WORTH IT.

There is also in house video of the March 22, 1994 Palace Of Auburn Hills show on the bootleg called "A View From The Palace." Test For Echo also has that famous aborted video shot at the Molson Amphitheater which had video/sound syncing problems.

Never knew about that Roll The Bones video footage. Hopefully that sees the light of day sometime.

EDIT: I also just watched Much More Music's Story Of Rush from 2002 and it had lots of previously unseen video from the Buffalo and Toronto Permanent Waves stops if I'm not mistaken. It was probably shot by whoever had music dedicated programs pre Much Music.

Edited by yyzjam
  • Like 1

Thanks for your hard work. :cheers:

My hope for future releases relies on Geddy's distinctive collecting mania.

I really think he has most, if not all, of this unreleased stuff.

One would hope, but all is not assured.