Concert at the Port Dover Summer Gardens, June 1975

Rush Didact

This popped up in a Facebook group recently. This particular concert has always fascinated me, it's strange to think that Rush played a show in my little town, once upon a time.

Anyways, it's neat to get a little insight into the band's early days. I'm curious to know what the deal is with Alex being paid twice as much as Geddy and Neil.

82029001-10162867940260204-6511592938143744000-n.jpg

• Like 4

Al is the one that signed the contract. At the top it mentions 'under the leadership of Alex Lifeson'. He was the founding member of the band.

The salary was probably just the per diem back in the day and the band themselves probably got an equal share of the $2k+.

That was the last date of the FBN tour.

• Like 5

I mean shit, even a regional act in the 70s could make great money touring their respective circuit.

I watched that Twisted Sister documentary, and in the early 80s, those dudes were killing it 7 nights a week just on Long Island - playing 1000+ venues.

Perhaps it took a long time for the Rush organization to turn a profit, but the band were still getting wages.

When you think about it, Neil and Geddy made as much salary for 3 hours work as an average fast food worker today.

Well...I’d say it was a little more than an hour at most, in those days.

And since they didn’t have the road crew and not nearly as much gear as they would have later on...wouldn’t much of the specified $1602 balance go to the musicians, too?

• Like 1

When you think about it, Neil and Geddy made as much salary for 3 hours work as an average fast food worker today.

Well...I’d say it was a little more than an hour at most, in those days.

And since they didn’t have the road crew and not nearly as much gear as they would have later on...wouldn’t much of the specified $1602 balance go to the musicians, too?

Well probably a good share of that $2k went to the record company to cover their 'advance'. Plus Ray's share, travel expenses, roadies (well maybe one), etc. I've always wondered how band financing actually worked out.