Subdivisions & Limelight

GeddyLeeLifeson

Maybe this has been asked before, but when I first got R30 back in the day I felt like Subdivisions was played slightly slower than normal live, and then concerts after that it went back to the normal album speed. I would have thought maybe it was just my ears hearing it slower, but then I noticed they played Limelight slower on the Snakes and Arrows DVD. Anybody have any thoughts as to why this was? Did they have other songs that they slowed down and then played back at a normal tempo too?

I always wondered if they played certain songs slower on purpose, or if they just happened to play it slow unintentionally (even though I like to think of Neil as a human metronome). I've noticed that same slowing even on older albums like Exit Stage Left. Some of them (I can't recall which right now) are so much slower that I have to think it's intentional for whatever reason.

It could also be that Ged's voice was really starting to nose-dive, and it was easier to push the notes out at a slightly slower tempo than a faster one. I do think I remember hearing Neil say one of the most important things for a drummer is to listen to the vocalist and keep him comfortable.

The tempos on the Snakes and Arrows tour were a bit slower than they were prior.

Almost to the level of "plodding".

I think one of the things that hurts the S/A album are the tempos. Shit is just too slow.

No energy.
  • Like 1

The tempos on the Snakes and Arrows tour were a bit slower than they were prior.

Almost to the level of "plodding".

I think one of the things that hurts the S/A album are the tempos. Shit is just too slow.

Yeah, a little bit quicker pace might have cut a couple of minutes off the running time! :P

I really like S&A, overall- some great songs, and great energy.

But not EVERY song on it is essential, I don’t think...take a few of them off and it could make a really tremendous 45-50 minute album.

• Like 1

Maybe this has been asked before, but when I first got R30 back in the day I felt like Subdivisions was played slightly slower than normal live, and then concerts after that it went back to the normal album speed. I would have thought maybe it was just my ears hearing it slower, but then I noticed they played Limelight slower on the Snakes and Arrows DVD. Anybody have any thoughts as to why this was? Did they have other songs that they slowed down and then played back at a normal tempo too?

I noticed this with both songs too--especially Subdivisions. I'm not sure why it was slowed down--maybe because they had dusted it off from not having played it for several tours. And with Limelight on the S&A Tour, it could be because it was the first song on the set and they were really trying to build the audience into a groove.