2020 R&R Hall of Fame inductees

Mithrandir

There's a popular "meme" (before such things existed) of a New York Times columnist saying after the 1972 election she didn't know how Nixon got elected, because she didn't know anyone who had voted for him. It was meant to illustrate that some people travel in circles where things are taken as accepted facts, but the larger population doesn't share that view. Music fans can be a little like that. "I love X, they're one of my favorite bands of all time, OF COURSE they belong in the Hall of Fame." And the converse is also true. "I don't like X. None of my buddies like X. How the f*ck did they get in the Hall of Fame?"

Fair point.

Priest still belongs in there though. They've got Sabbath and Metallica already.

There's a popular "meme" (before such things existed) of a New York Times columnist saying after the 1972 election she didn't know how Nixon got elected, because she didn't know anyone who had voted for him. It was meant to illustrate that some people travel in circles where things are taken as accepted facts, but the larger population doesn't share that view. Music fans can be a little like that. "I love X, they're one of my favorite bands of all time, OF COURSE they belong in the Hall of Fame." And the converse is also true. "I don't like X. None of my buddies like X. How the f*ck did they get in the Hall of Fame?"

Fair point.

Priest still belongs in there though. They've got Sabbath and Metallica already.

I love Priest. I wouldn’t say their impact on music is the same as Sabbath’s and Metallica’s though.

• Like 1

Fair point.

I love Priest. I wouldn’t say their impact on music is the same as Sabbath’s and Metallica’s though.

Priest is still pretty influential in the hard rock/metal genre, though. The Doobie Brothers influenced...who exactly?

5 of those 6 acts absolutely deserved to get in for their impact and influence on music, but the Doobie Brothers are a total WTF selection to me. They had some good songs but who did they influence? What is their relevance? What band can you look at and say "We wouldn't have _______ without the Doobie Brothers"?

We wouldn't have a classic episode of What's Happening!! without the Doobie Brothers.

• Like 2

Fair point.

Priest is still pretty influential in the hard rock/metal genre, though. The Doobie Brothers influenced...who exactly?

Influence on their own genre isn’t the sole test. I would bet you could find more people in the general public that can name a Doobies’ song than a Priest song.

• Like 2

Fair point.

It's close. As is Maiden.

• Like 1

• Depeche Mode
  • The Doobie Brothers
  • Whitney Houston
  • Nine Inch Nails
  • The Notorious B.I.G.
  • T. Rex

About f***ing time T Rex made it.

Utter stupidity.

Rock N Roll, not R&B, not Rap.

Is anything not sacred anymore?

R&B and Rap are rock and roll. More so than most current "rock" bands.

Rock and roll is popular music, an amalgam of everything, especially attitude.

Fair point.

Love both bands. Maiden has a much stronger argument about societal prevalence. They definitely should be in. Priest is more confined to metal fans IMO.

Fair point.

Love both bands. Maiden has a much stronger argument about societal prevalence. They definitely should be in. Priest is more confined to metal fans IMO.

True, but what about the massive influence Priest had on seemingly every metal band that came after them (which is pretty much all of them except Sabbath) while still achieving significant commercial success multiple times, and maintaining relevancy throughout their career (maybe not in the Ripper years, but otherwise)? I'm not arguing specifically that Priest belong in and the Doobie Brothers don't. More that the system is stupid because they tend to be very conservative with their picks and they only induct a small handful of artists every year, even when large, rabid fanbases argue against their exclusions. Only in such a narrow-minded system could Judas Priest and Iron Maiden not already be in the hall of fame, and its disappointing to see them continually snubbed, often in favor of artists the average person wouldn't consider remotely rock (why don't we just have separate halls of fame for rnb and rap and other genres that clearly aren't rock, even though there is crossover?).

• Like 1

I like the Doobies. Great string of hits. And an actual rock band.

I love the Doobies. Especially the pre-Michael McDonald Doobies. Great songs. Hit after hit after hit in the seventies. Kind of like The Eagles.

Yes sorta Eagles and Steely Dan combined.

• Like 2

Fair point.

Influence on their own genre isn’t the sole test. I would bet you could find more people in the general public that can name a Doobies’ song than a Priest song.

The Doobie Bros are a band that defined the 70s California Sound, much like the Eagles, or even moreso at the time.
  • Like 2

I like the Doobies. Great string of hits. And an actual rock band.

I love the Doobies. Especially the pre-Michael McDonald Doobies. Great songs. Hit after hit after hit in the seventies. Kind of like The Eagles.

Great minds think alike!
  • Like 3

5 of those 6 acts absolutely deserved to get in for their impact and influence on music, but the Doobie Brothers are a total WTF selection to me. They had some good songs but who did they influence? What is their relevance? What band can you look at and say "We wouldn't have _______ without the Doobie Brothers"?

We wouldn't have a classic episode of What's Happening!! without the Doobie Brothers.

That was a two parter I think. “Which Doobie you be?” and all that :LOL:

The only reason the Hall has enough validity to even cause argument is that we have given it to them. Arbitrary decisions made by a small group of fans that the rest of the world shouldn't stress about any more than if my friends and I voted people into one each year.

They had the resources to make it a spectacle, and the connections to feign validity, but it really holds none. It is too subjective to ever think judging it will be fair.

A Hall of Fame I'd love is one where only peers voted. Published musicians with x-amount of experience can vote.

That way the biggest influencers get in and as to talent I trust the other musicians more than some record executive to induct the right acts.

It still won't exactly match my hall, but if we have to have a Hall, let their peers decide. It would mean far more to the artists, too.

Edited by Mosher
  • Like 2

With pertaining to the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame", and without having to name any certain artists, and groups, who were nominated, and selected to be inducted in it, I haven't had any problems, and issues. The bands, and groups "Judas Priest", and "Iron Maiden" deserve to be inducted in, and should be. Edited by Derek19