What's your favorite version of Neil's solo?

zappafrank

IMO, I feel like Exit... Stage Left is the standard (so smooth, so seamless, so musical), but I also have a deep love for the mid-90's version that incorporates Momo's Dance Party and Pieces of Eight (the version I've become accustomed to per some recordings I've heard from the CP tour in particular).

The extended big band stuff never really resonated with me, truth be told, but I understand where it came from.

I also really enjoy the way they changed up the presentation in general the last few tours (i.e., 3 mini solos on the Clockwork Angels tour).

And related, regardless of your favorite version, what is your favorite placement of the solo? Again, the original break in YYZ set the standard, IMO, but I'll be damned if Headlong Flight wasn't perfect, too.

• Like 2

I'm tied up between ESL and ATWAS.

The evolution of the solo from the first tour up to the MP period is interesting if you listen to the various boots from 74 to 81, and Different Stages. After that period though, no disrespect to the master, the electronics and triggers just got a little too gimmicky for my taste.

But live, the revolving drum platform was indeed pretty bad-ass.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

IMO, I feel like Exit... Stage Left is the standard (so smooth, so seamless, so musical), but I also have a deep love for the mid-90's version that incorporates Momo's Dance Party and Pieces of Eight (the version I've become accustomed to per some recordings I've heard from the CP tour in particular).

The extended big band stuff never really resonated with me, truth be told, but I understand where it came from.

I also really enjoy the way they changed up the presentation in general the last few tours (i.e., 3 mini solos on the Clockwork Angels tour).

And related, regardless of your favorite version, what is your favorite placement of the solo? Again, the original break in YYZ set the standard, IMO, but I'll be damned if Headlong Flight wasn't perfect, too.

Haha! I'm not stalking you. I answered your question.

I mentioned this last night somewhere. It's all a blur and our posts over the weekend are buried by page after page. It's incredible.

I totally agree with you on the ESL drum solo.

Sorry to be redundant Rush Forum but I put on ESL in my bedroom in the eighth grade. Zappa, I was already one year in on learning the drums and I had to teach myself YYZ in 1981 because my drum teacher couldn't learn it. LOL

So I was obsessed with that instrumental. When I heard the live part I realized that the third fill was different. All snare???? What???? Then BOOM! SOLO!

It blew my young mind.

Hence I had to learn the solo.

Took months.

But eventually I could get through it. Of course you must know I am not a professional drummer at all, but I do have a cd ep under my belt! Recorded it last year with my nephew! The last track is "Kill The Lights" and I did the "Limelight" ending drum fill as a homage to Neil.

Anyway, so that's it. I did a three minute drum solo for Neil in my garage on Friday night. As I was choking up, I went for it. Hit my drums so hard like I was 23 again. Did the cowbell tree solo part for Neil.

Neil Rules!!!!!!

• Like 3

Exit Stage Left hands down for me. Just perfect. And my favorite sonic representation of the Professor.

But also R30 was an incredible culmination of all of his best solo’s and an amazing performance.

• Like 1

My favourite will remain a memory, inadequately re-witnessed until such time as some crazed fan snags the audio that is indeed available from the inter-tubes and syncs it to video of the same (and enhances the living hell out of it). This would have been, namely, during the Grace under Pressure tour. Prior to mid-October '84 it had been in the break to "Red Lenses" and was the most glorious musically percussive performance I have ever seen and heard. Even the security personnel had to turn around to see wtf even before he began to let loose, which, being the first time he did the whole rotating riser bit, was more than one site to behold. The resonant goosebumps only peaked further as Lerxst bounded back onstage for "...and the mercury is rising...", immediately recommencing where he had left off on what I never would have guessed from the album would end up being his footpedal part... 1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3, 4. The whole experience washed through me like I dunno what.

I wish that had made it to the live video, even if only an alternate take.

• Like 1

My favourite will remain a memory, inadequately re-witnessed until such time as some crazed fan snags the audio that is indeed available from the inter-tubes and syncs it to video of the same (and enhances the living hell out of it). This would have been, namely, during the Grace under Pressure tour. Prior to mid-October '84 it had been in the break to "Red Lenses" and was the most glorious musically percussive performance I have ever seen and heard. Even the security personnel had to turn around to see wtf even before he began to let loose, which, being the first time he did the whole rotating riser bit, was more than one site to behold. The resonant goosebumps only peaked further as Lerxst bounded back onstage for "...and the mercury is rising...", immediately recommencing where he had left off on what I never would have guessed from the album would end up being his footpedal part... 1, 2, 3... 1, 2, 3, 4. The whole experience washed through me like I dunno what.

I wish that had made it to the live video, even if only an alternate take.

I really must go to bed but I can’t stop reading.

I had to respond.

“Red Lenses” is one of the greatest songs on the Earth!!!

I remember listening to GUP for the first time on cassette in my bedroom.

It blew my mind.

The funny thing is when I heard Signals for the first time in my life I hated it!

Feel in love with GUP in 40 minutes and 22 seconds!!!

“Red Lenses” was so fun to play on the drums even in 1984.

I never could afford Simmons pads back then.

But I did incorporate a cowbell here.

A wood block there.

An octoban there.

I made it work acoustically without electronics.

I’ve always been an organic drummer.

But always figured it out how to play the synth

Albums on regular drums.

Trust me

Cowbells

Woodblocks

Ice bells

Octobans

Really come in handy

I can nail the Hold Your Fire album organically.

But Red Lenses is a masterpiece.

I feel sorry for the humans who don’t get it.

The YYZ drum solo to Red Lenses live blew my mind into a galaxy far far away.

Lol

May Neil’s Force Be With You.

Neil will always be with me.

I can play his drum parts.....

747 Promark baby

Do you know I’ve been playing with Promark 747 sticks years before Neil even became endorsed?

Still play 747s today.

Like a Boeing 747 baby!

Heavy and hard. Japanese oak!

Hard to break! I break them!

Fly By Night!

It’s almost 3 am and I feel I’m in the mood!

RIP John Rutsey!!!

Both Rush drummers are gone.

My heart is crushed.

But now it is Rushed!!

Be strong people.

Nite

ATWAS for me, it's the album that got me hooked on them.

I did like the spacey treatment he gave the one during Cygnus on R40 however.

Other than that I have to admit I tend to skip past the recorded solos. Always appreciated the instrumental mastery though, especially live.

Edited by Lurkst