Neil Peart vs Gord Downie - drastically different grieving experiences

Magnus

I haven't been here in 10 years, but this seems like the best place to share how I'm feeling.

I discovered Rush just over 20 years ago, in middle school. My uncle gave me two mix tapes (yes, tapes) which I listened to endlessly. Their music inspired me, fed my soul, and sustained me through the usual trials of adolescence. I can't overstate the influence Rush had on me as a musician, and a person. I think I really identified with their image of slightly awkward, hard-working, book-smart individuals.

Later, I also developed a passion for the Tragically Hip. Their music wasn't as harmonically or rhythmically powerful as Rush, but there was a similar strength in their lyrics and storytelling (maybe Gord Downie was the better storyteller, actually). I didn't identify with them personally, but because of the unique way Gord wrote about the history and geography of Canada, they were a core thread of my Canadian cultural fabric.

Naturally, I'm blindsided by the news of Neil's death, and the nature of Neil's illness (which we now know was the same as Gord's). Right now, it's a totally different experience for me than processing Gord's illness and death.

As other have pointed out, a terminally-ill person should be entitled to as much publicity or privacy as they want, and it makes total sense that Neil's illness was kept secret--it's entirely consistent with how he lived the rest of his life. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if, when he received the terrible diagnosis, he made a deliberate choice to not follow Gord's example of allowing his decline to be well-documented.

I made a point of attending one of the Hip's final shows, in Toronto. It was one of the most moving concert experiences I've had. The energy of 20,000 people in a room, all celebrating and mourning their friend, together, was overwhelming. A few days later, I tuned in to the national TV broadcast of the final show on the tour, for a second round of grieving.

What Gord did with his publicity, and what the Hip did with their tour, was give their fans time and space to process their shock and grief. I'll always be grateful for that. And while I totally understand where Neil and his family were coming from, it feels like an opportunity was missed. Gord Downie's fandom was mostly confined to Canada, but the reach of Neil Peart's influence was global. There are people all over the world who, like me, felt a personal connection to Neil's art, and the suddenness of this news makes me feel just as sad as the news itself.

Given how Neil had displayed his personality, I have no doubt that he deliberately avoided letting on about his condition.

I would have done the same thing. The public could find out after I am gone.

This is still a bummer.

• Like 1

There's a difference here.

Gord Downie went public with his glioblastoma disease to speak out about causes (in particular Canadian Indigenous rights) before he passed. He kept being prolific with writing and recording two solo albums. The need to stay busy was important to him.

The CBC's broadcast and live streaming of The Tragically Hip: A National Celebration concert (the last show of their farewell tour that was sold out) reached 11.7 million people on Saturday night, according to preliminary audience figures.

After Gord Downie passed on, he and the band were mentioned in the press outside of Canada more, in particular this BBC article here.

Whereas Neil's battle with glioblastoma was a private matter. We're all aware of the events after the R40 Tour so I won't repeat them.

I don't think Manic Street Preachers achieved global success, but seem to be embraced by Britain and the rest of Europe. They're also considered an unknown band in a global sense according to this BBC article here.

Some bands are embraced by their own country and don't always achieve global success.

Edited by RushFanForever