I regret everything I ever said....

fraroc

Regarding my angry posts and general dissatisfaction with the way Rush ended...There was a time where as a Rush stan, I had feelings of resentment towards the fact that Rush had ended their touring career in 2015. I foolishly believed that Neil was to blame and that he "left Ged and Al hanging" and that he killed Rush......I really wish I knew then what I know now.....I wish I can go back in time and tell myself "DUDE, NEIL IS LITERALLY DYING OF CANCER YOU INCONSIDERATE FUCKING SELFISH DICKHEAD"
  • Like 1

Hey man, we all were at least a little disappointed it ended the way we did, and we all wish we could've known. No sense beating yourself up for things you said in the past. "It is what it is, and whatever." :cheers:
  • Like 8

Regarding my angry posts and general dissatisfaction with the way Rush ended...There was a time where as a Rush stan, I had feelings of resentment towards the fact that Rush had ended their touring career in 2015. I foolishly believed that Neil was to blame and that he "left Ged and Al hanging" and that he killed Rush......I really wish I knew then what I know now.....I wish I can go back in time and tell myself "DUDE, NEIL IS LITERALLY DYING OF CANCER YOU INCONSIDERATE FUCKING SELFISH DICKHEAD"

Dude, don't beat yourself up with this kind of thinking. I know when I heard that they were done touring, I completely shut myself off from the Rush community. It was like I just didn't care about them anymore. Now I've been kicking myself for taking those actions and having those thoughts. Tonight I'm celebrating the life of someone who was one of us. An outcast, a misfit, someone who felt, experienced the same things I felt, and some how was able to put coherent words to them. TO NEIL!

• Like 7

As fans, we wanted more from them. But they were wise to end it when they did. He got some quality time with his family and friends.

None of us expected to hear about this today.

As much as we think we know about the band, we really don't know much about what's going on in their lives.

• Like 4

I really wish I knew then what I know now.....

Don't we all!

Even the most die-hard fans (like us) must keep reminding themselves that they really don't know squat about the lives of their rock & roll heroes. The same goes for film stars, sports heroes, etc.

Just as they don't know us at all, we don't know them. We are strangers to each other.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 4

I really wish I knew then what I know now.....

Don't we all!

Even the most die-hard fans (like us) must keep reminding themselves that they really don't know squat about the lives of their rock & roll heroes. The same goes for film stars, sports heroes, etc.

Just as they don't know us at all, we don't know them. We are strangers to each other.

Just like I said in the other thread, hearing of Neil's death was bad enough as a Rush fan, I simply cannot imagine what Geddy and Alex are going through right now. Ged's book tour was only this past summer, I can't imagine just how difficult it was for him to do that, knowing that there were going to be some fans that were going to ask about a Rush reunion or simply ask "Hey Geddy, big fan here! Heard from Neil lately?" And each and every time he has to put on a fake smile and say he's fine....God, if Ged or Al were in the same room as me right now, I'd definitely let them have a good long cry on my shoulder.

• Like 9

Neil Peart's talent and him sharing it with the world will heal all wounds. Enjoy the music.

That is the great privilege that we have as fans. Although right now we are mourning, the music will always be there for us.

• Like 3

My first thought when I heard? I blame fraroc.

Sorry...my dark humor gets the best of me sometimes. We're all gutted... To the late great Professor...and to TRF's one and only fraroc! :hail:

• Like 11

Well, look....they were always private guys. I play in a band and about a year ago, during practice, our drummer noted that the prolonged silence from Neil seemed strange, and he thought we were going to hear at some point that Neil was sick. It struck me as a real possibility, especially when news started coming out that he was no longer drumming.

If you take illness out of the equation, that news and behavior does seem strange, because it goes beyond what you’d expect from simple retirement. No updates to his web page, no writing, no occasional music project, no NEWS?

Of course now, it all makes sense.

It also makes sense that the often-hinted-at project between Ged and Al hasn’t materialized. Even if they were up for it — which I doubt — it would seem awful insensitive to start hyping a project, given Neil’s condition. And I actually think that if not for the cancer, Neil would have worked with Ged and Al again in some capacity.

So now the other two need time to heal. But I think/hope we’ll see them again.

• Like 9

Forgive me, too, for expressing on this page the notion that at this very moment I cannot get around — namely, that the expressed resentment would have been any less selfishly superficial had he not been dying.

According to reports, Neil had the condition for three and a half years, in which case he may not have been aware of it in August 2015 when Rush finished touring, If this is so, it's an exceptionally cruel turn of events for this monstrous disease to have struck when it did. Neil, and those surrounding him, did bloody well at keeping this quiet for the last three and a half years. It's good that he eventually got out of the limelight that he was often uncomfortable in, and had a peaceful, if tragically short, retirement.
  • Like 3

Sorry...my dark humor gets the best of me sometimes. We're all gutted... To the late great Professor...and to TRF's one and only fraroc! :hail:

Surprised nobody blamed SpaghettiLee lol

• Like 2

Surprised nobody blamed SpaghettiLee lol

:LOL:
  • Like 1

I don't think it's correct to say he was dying of cancer when Rush called it quits, but it's good nonetheless that you're able to look back on yourself and realize that assigning blame should have played no part in your reaction to learning that Rush was done.

• Like 2

I don't think it's correct to say he was dying of cancer when Rush called it quits, but it's good nonetheless that you're able to look back on yourself and realize that assigning blame should have played no part in your reaction to learning that Rush was done.

Well, again -- there was a heck of a lot of confusion during the end of 2015 through mid-2016. First Neil with "my daughter says I'm retired" to Geddy saying "no he's not really" to Al in May 2016 saying that Neil wasn't physically capable of drumming anymore. It was a real jumble of contradictory press reports. We now know that we were likely seeing Neil learn of his illness and the rest of the guys getting brought into the loop. I don't think there s any reason for anyone to kick themselves over their reaction to all this confusion. And I'm sure we'll hear more from Geddy and Al in the coming months about all of this.

• Like 5

Well Fraroc i can't lie and say i was always thrilled with how you raked him over the coal on a near constant basis (i mean i'd joke about it but i never once meant it)

but i know you are hurting and i liked the things you said in his memorial thread. and i hope you mature and learn going forward that it wasn't cool and you'd never say those things to people you love and actually know. so why do it to a man you're a fan of and most likely wouldn't meet anyway?

again i know your hurting but i gotta just be honest in my heart here.

peace man......and grow.

Mick

• Like 5