RIP Sam Wyche, 74, took Cincinnati to Super Bowl

laughedatbytime

:rose:

Wyche had been sick for a while, battling melanoma. He was best known for riding the no huddle offense to the Super Bowl, or perhaps this clip.

• Like 2

I could easily write 5,000 words on the man and what he did for the Bengals and their fans.

He made the 1988 Bengals one of the most feared offenses ever.

Coming within 34 seconds of immortality in Super Bowl XXIII still hurts.

He also demolished the hated arch-rival Jerry Glanville and the Oilers 61-7 in December of 1989. Bengal fans absolutely LOVED IT!!

oKypHm0.jpg

• Like 1

I'm sorry, to see, hear, and read of this. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., Sam.

I heard a funny story about him years ago. The team had been bad and he knew he'd be getting fired at the end of the year. So he asked his players which of them still had incentives to reach in their contracts, whether it was number of catches, yards, receptions, percentage of snaps played, etc. He then called the plays specifically for them to hit their incentive number, earning them over a million dollars, collectively. I'm sure stuff like that made his players love the hell out of him. Edited by edhunter

I heard a funny story about him years ago. The team had been bad and he knew he'd be getting fired at the end of the year. So he asked his players which of them still had incentives to reach in their contracts, whether it was number of catches, yards, receptions, percentage of snaps played, etc. He then called the plays specifically for them to hit their incentive number, earning them over a million dollars, collectively. I'm sure stuff like that made his players love the hell out of him.

If that story is true, then it gave the miserly Paul Brown another reason to fire him. Both of the Bengals' Super Bowl teams disbanded quickly, as the Brown family simply wouldn't pay their players to stay.

:rose:

Wyche had been sick for a while, battling melanoma. He was best known for riding the no huddle offense to the Super Bowl, or perhaps this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMa20xXykI

I remember him kicking female reporters out of the locker room right after the media expressed outrage about it. And going for an onside kick up by about 40 pts on Houston just to embarrass Glanville. He was a colorful figure for sure.

RIP

I’m really sad to hear about this.

I was just a kid, but I remember him as a really good guy. I worked at the Bengals’ training camp in the summer of 1989, which was the first season back after their second Super Bowl, and I knew Wyche and the rest of the coaches, and a lot of the best known players from that era. It was a hell of an experience for a 16 year old kid.

Footnote, I also got to meet Paul Brown at that time. But the comment about the Brown family not wanting to have to pay for players’ talents is right on, unfortunately.

RIP Sam Wyche :rose:

• Like 1

I was just a kid, but I remember him as a really good guy. I worked at the Bengals’ training camp in the summer of 1989, which was the first season back after their second Super Bowl, and I knew Wyche and the rest of the coaches, and a lot of the best known players from that era. It was a hell of an experience for a 16 year old kid.

Footnote, I also got to meet Paul Brown at that time. But the comment about the Brown family not wanting to have to pay for players’ talents is right on, unfortunately.

Cool story.

Did you meet Paul Brown at the end of camp when you dropped off his check for letting you work there?

• Like 1

Cool story.

Did you meet Paul Brown at the end of camp when you dropped off his check for letting you work there?

Heh...with an extra stipend, because I had long hair.

• Like 1

Sam was never a winning head coach in his short tenure as Head coach of the Buccaneers. However through his draft savvy & prowess he drafted some of the key players Warren Sapp, John Lynch, Derrick Brooks and my that would ultimately win Super Bowl 37 with one of the most feared defences in NFL History.