David Stern, NBA Commissioner dead at 77.

edhunter

The man turned the NBA from a niche sport into a 100-billion dollar corporate monster, although he used the slimiest of business practices to do it. From rigging the first draft lottery in 1983 to direct Patrick Ewing to the Knicks, to "encouraging" Michael Jordan to retire in 1993 due to gambling connections, to blocking the Chris Paul trade to the Lakers, he was the ultimate Godfather.
  • Like 2

I'm sorry, to read of this. My condolences, to his family, and friends. R.I.P., David.

Every player should chip in for some sort North Korean Dear Leader-sized statue of Stern for what he did for that league. It's hard to believe but the NBA has not always been the monster it is today (with interests divergent enough to get bullied by China!), and Stern did that. Player salaries are orders of magnitude higher than they used to be (ahead of other leagues', anyway).

His best peers were probably people like Rockefeller or Getty or Carnegie.

• Like 1

Every player should chip in for some sort North Korean Dear Leader-sized statue of Stern for what he did for that league. It's hard to believe but the NBA has not always been the monster it is today (with interests divergent enough to get bullied by China!), and Stern did that. Player salaries are orders of magnitude higher than they used to be (ahead of other leagues', anyway).

His best peers were probably people like Rockefeller or Getty or Carnegie.

Player salaries but also the whole behemoth it became with marketing, hype, pop culture, etc. Totally transformed.

• Like 1