What would you do?

Lorraine

One of the cleaning young ladies (she cleans the rooms, bathrooms, makes beds, etc.) at the skilled nursing home where my husband is worked for two weeks knowing she had head lice before she told personnel her problem. She finally shaved her head completely to get rid of them. She is still working there. It is my opinion she should have been fired since she endangered the many elderly whose rooms she takes care of.

Also, the other morning I walked in and found various medications (including prescription pills) for other patients left on my husband's desk all night by the night nurse. My husband, who really isn't completely in his right mind, could have taken those pills and either killed himself or sent himself back into the hospital.

Should I report the place to the State? I hate to cause unnecessary trouble for anyone, but ...

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I'd report 'em. Nothing changes unless we do our part. I just found out my sister took the local hospice to the state regulatory agency, and I would too if I'd known about how my Dad was being treated, medications wise. I assume the Dr. was fired or moved on. Should have had his licence revoked In Michigan.

GNo5Obt.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 3

I would call OSHA on them. Maybe they can do something. Also, bring a camera with you next time you visit your husband. That way if they leave meds next to him that aren't his, you've got some visual evidence of what's going on. The employee with lice might be easy to bust if they had to get medication from a doctor for it.
  • Like 2

you'd fight another bureaucracy and not get anywhere IMO. just be vigilant with your husband's care.

I thought about that, but I think I will alert the authorities, whoever that might be, when my husband is discharged and there can be no chance of a backlash.

The place was bought out by a new corporation who are all about profit. So much so, that the nursing/assisted living/skilled nursing center lost quite a few good nurses due to the crunch brought on by the new CEO.

Actually the place is awful; the worst is that it has a good rep out here and among the best homes in the area. Now I understand why my husband's mother and sister died in two of these place due to neglect if the one my husband is in is one of the best.

I also have been told that even if you have private insurance, if you do not have someone in your family watching out like a hawk on your behalf, it goes no better for you than a medicare/medicaid patient.

No doubt I’d report that, especially the medicines being left out bit. I worked mental health for a bit back in the 90s, and proper distribution and handling of medicines is very basic stuff.

That one really got me. I don't care how understaffed they are; there's no excuse for such irresponsibility in a nurse.

• Like 3

I would call OSHA on them. Maybe they can do something. Also, bring a camera with you next time you visit your husband. That way if they leave meds next to him that aren't his, you've got some visual evidence of what's going on. The employee with lice might be easy to bust if they had to get medication from a doctor for it.

I'll try OSHA

I don't own a cell phone or a camera. My husband's phone has a camera though. I didn't even think of taking pictures. I should have.

• Like 2

Who should I call to report about the nurse? Any ideas?

I'm not even going to bother talking to anyone there because I have already picked up how they all protect each other. I would just get the run around and then the brush-off from them if I did. Besides, they already know what happened and chose to do nothing about it. I was sitting at the breakfast table with my husband when the nurse told the floor supervisor about the medications left on the table. She didn't look too concerned or upset.

I'm not even going to bother talking to anyone there because I have already picked up how they all protect each other. I would just get the run around and then the brush-off from them if I did. Besides, they already know what happened and chose to do nothing about it. I was sitting at the breakfast table with my husband when the nurse told the floor supervisor about the medications left on the table. She didn't look too concerned or upset.

I don't know US law, but I would imagine unless you have pictorial evidence then you are wasting your time....it just becomes your word against theirs....sad, but that's the way it is.

• Like 1

Go through the process as much of a pain in the ass it will be.

Keep records of EVERYTHING.

First step is report her to her supervisor, and then gradually run it up the chain. Be calm and clear in all of your communications with them.

The nurse sounds she is endangering your husband as well as other patients. Follow your instincts.

• Like 2

Make it official - write an email and send it - emails are time stamped and great for keeping records of correspondence (obvious I know).

• Like 2

Go through the process as much of a pain in the ass it will be.

Keep records of EVERYTHING.

First step is report her to her supervisor, and then gradually run it up the chain. Be calm and clear in all of your communications with them.

The nurse sounds she is endangering your husband as well as other patients. Follow your instincts.

My instincts say to get him out of where he is. I found out this morning he has another UTI. That's because no one is bothering to give him showers. If I don't do it, they won't.

• Like 2

I hate these stories. You have to report Lorraine. How else are we going to hopefully one day correct this situation. It si a shame how old people are treated in our society. And it worries more and more the older I get!
  • Like 2

I hate these stories. You have to report Lorraine. How else are we going to hopefully one day correct this situation. It si a shame how old people are treated in our society. And it worries more and more the older I get!

I've got heart-breaking stories for you of people in there. Two young men have been there since their teen years - both victims of drunk drivers. One is now 50, the other is in his late 30's - one had been in the army and was home on leave when it happened, and the other was 17 when he was hit.

Then there is the 99 year old retired pharmacist who grew up on a farm in North Dakota in a family of 10 children. Just him and a sister left. He owned three pharmacies out here.

There's a vet of the Korean War as well in there.

I love sitting and listening to them. They repeat themselves but I let them talk. They love to tell me all about how it used to be, and I love listening to them, even if I heard it before.

When my husband leaves the place, I will report them. If I make the calls now, I don't want them to take it out on him.

I was told today that they are so desperate for help, they will hire anyone. That is a very bad sign.

This nursing home is not an isolated incident. As I mentioned in the stroke thread, my husband's mother and sister both died in one of those places due to neglect. It's a big enough problem that they have attorneys who do just this - investigate and sue nursing home abuses.

I'm afraid for my husband in there, but I don't know if I can handle him home right now. He's getting slightly better, but it is a slow progress. Plus, due to him pulling out his catheter so many times, he has urine problems which can be difficult for two people sharing the same bed. The doctor told me today that it should clear up in a few weeks. But he has another UTI due to them not looking after his hygiene needs in the nursing home. This may set back the healing a bit.

Every time I leave there, he walks me to my car. As I'm driving out and look back at him standing there waving, I always think it is the last time I might see him alive or as a whole person.

Edited by Lorraine

I've got heart-breaking stories for you of people in there. Two young men have been there since their teen years - both victims of drunk drivers. One is now 50, the other is in his late 30's - one had been in the army and was home on leave when it happened, and the other was 17 when he was hit.

Then there is the 99 year old retired pharmacist who grew up on a farm in North Dakota in a family of 10 children. Just him and a sister left. He owned three pharmacies out here.

There's a vet of the Korean War as well in there.

I love sitting and listening to them. They repeat themselves but I let them talk. They love to tell me all about how it used to be, and I love listening to them, even if I heard it before.

When my husband leaves the place, I will report them. If I make the calls now, I don't want them to take it out on him.

I was told today that they are so desperate for help, they will hire anyone. That is a very bad sign.

This nursing home is not an isolated incident. As I mentioned in the stroke thread, my husband's mother and sister both died in one of those places due to neglect. It's a big enough problem that they have attorneys who do just this - investigate and sue nursing home abuses.

I'm afraid for my husband in there, but I don't know if I can handle him home right now. He's getting slightly better, but it is a slow progress. Plus, due to him pulling out his catheter so many times, he has urine problems which can be difficult for two people sharing the same bed. The doctor told me today that it should clear up in a few weeks. But he has another UTI due to them not looking after his hygiene needs in the nursing home. This may set back the healing a bit.

Every time I leave there, he walks me to my car. As I'm driving out and look back at him standing there waving, I always think it is the last time I might see him alive or as a whole person.

You shouldn't be worried about them taking it out on your husband if you report what's going on. You don't have to give your name to whoever you report it to and whoever investigates it will not give your info to anyone.

• Like 3

Those stories are so sad Lorraine. Sometimes I think it would be best to go before you fade away.

No thinking about it for me. I genuinely hope and pray I go soon. No way do I want to live past 75. I've observed throughout the years that once you pass that age, you really begin to decline.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

One of the cleaning young ladies (she cleans the rooms, bathrooms, makes beds, etc.) at the skilled nursing home where my husband is worked for two weeks knowing she had head lice before she told personnel her problem. She finally shaved her head completely to get rid of them. She is still working there. It is my opinion she should have been fired since she endangered the many elderly whose rooms she takes care of.

Also, the other morning I walked in and found various medications (including prescription pills) for other patients left on my husband's desk all night by the night nurse. My husband, who really isn't completely in his right mind, could have taken those pills and either killed himself or sent himself back into the hospital.

Should I report the place to the State? I hate to cause unnecessary trouble for anyone, but ...

As it's a matter of life and death, I absolutely think you should report them ASAP.

• Like 1