15 replies to this topic

#1 pjbear05

pjbear05

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3093 posts
  • Interests:Beer and music.

Posted 23 December 2019 - 07:31 PM

Is there a favorite or special food that says "the holidays", or did so when you were a kid?

I mentioned our tradition of homemade kielbasa in Lorraine's cookie recipe thread, but the one constant amongst my extended family was a big box of Sander's candy.  Sanders stores in Detroit had soda fountains in them, and sold baked goods and high quality candies and chocolate.  The candy was as much a staple in Detroit as Fanny Farmer on the East Coast, Fannie May in Chicago, and See's in CA.  Every relatives house we would visit had an open box of Sanders on display.

What was-or is-your holiday nom?

Sponsored Post

#2 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 48907 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 07:57 PM

Used to be ham and kielbasa until I moved out here and couldn't find a decent kielbasa because there are no Polish stores.  But I understand that the Ukraine store has a delicious equivalent to a Polish kielbasa.

For this Christmas, a friend from our parish very kindly and charitably brought me over a meal this afternoon to pop in the oven on Christmas - ham and potatoes along with fresh green beans.  She even baked me a pie and some cookies.   How nice is that?  :)

Typically, I would have something similar for dinner along with an apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

My mother was the best cook and baker.  One year she even tried to make her own horseradish.  I did not inherit her talent, but I try.

#3 Chicken hawk

Chicken hawk

The Sphere

• Members
  • 8711 posts
  • Interests:The Ocean . concerts, ball games, bicycling.

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:15 PM

My sister is going all out and getting Prime Rib for our Christmas Dinner.....i would have been happy with Turkey.    :musicnote: :yes:  But im OK with it !

#4 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 9657 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:10 PM

View PostLorraine, on 23 December 2019 - 07:57 PM, said:

Used to be ham and kielbasa until I moved out here and couldn't find a decent kielbasa because there are no Polish stores.  But I understand that the Ukraine store has a delicious equivalent to a Polish kielbasa.

For this Christmas, a friend from our parish very kindly and charitably brought me over a meal this afternoon to pop in the oven on Christmas - ham and potatoes along with fresh green beans.  She even baked me a pie and some cookies.   How nice is that?  :)

Typically, I would have something similar for dinner along with an apple pie and vanilla ice cream.

My mother was the best cook and baker.  One year she even tried to make her own horseradish.  I did not inherit her talent, but I try.

That sounds delicious! Enjoy! And homemade horseradish sounds delicious!

Edited by blueschica, 23 December 2019 - 10:20 PM.

#5 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 9657 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:19 PM

View PostChicken hawk, on 23 December 2019 - 08:15 PM, said:

My sister is going all out and getting Prime Rib for our Christmas Dinner.....i would have been happy with Turkey.    :musicnote: :yes:  But im OK with it !

That is what my dad got also! I made lasagna for Christmas eve and we will have roast beef on Christmas day. My dad has always liked to bring home a big meat for Christmas - a ham, or a turkey, or a roast beef. He was young during the Depression and that was a big tradition in his family back then that meant Christmas to them. He went out and got a roast beef this year!

#6 Derek19

Derek19

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Interests:I like listening to music, watch movies I think look, and are really good, exercise, read, and computers including learning more about them, and what to do.

Posted 23 December 2019 - 10:30 PM

For, and during the Christmas holidays, I've liked sausage rolls, and eating either a ham, chicken, or turkey dinner, and supper, and with dips, cut up, not cooked vegetables like carrots, celery, broccoli, and cauliflower.  If there is a dessert, jello.

Edited by Derek19, 24 December 2019 - 05:45 AM.

#7 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

So Far So Good

• Members *
  • 2375 posts
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 23 December 2019 - 11:06 PM

For this Christmas, my husband will attempt Beef Wellington.

#8 Nova Carmina

Nova Carmina

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1174 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hiking, reading, golf, soccer

Posted 24 December 2019 - 10:17 AM

My mother will once again make chili and sopapillas -- my brother refuses to come home if she doesn't make it, and my kids likewise! Delicious.

Merry Christmas!

#9 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 70786 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 25 December 2019 - 01:25 AM

I am making a prime rib as well.  It's sitting stuffed with garlic waiting for xmas day.

#10 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 48907 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 07:48 PM

Everything we had was absolutely delicious.  The ham had a great taste.  Even the pumpkin pie had a great taste, and it is not one of my favorites.  She rolled her own crust and made the pie with her own family recipe.  It didn't taste like the run-of-the-mill pumpkin pies.

I also bought (was going to make it, but really am too tired to do much of anything lately) a vanilla pudding cake and we had that as well.

#11 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 70786 posts
  • Interests:marxism

Posted 26 December 2019 - 10:48 AM

View PostLorraine, on 25 December 2019 - 07:48 PM, said:

Everything we had was absolutely delicious.  The ham had a great taste.  Even the pumpkin pie had a great taste, and it is not one of my favorites.  She rolled her own crust and made the pie with her own family recipe.  It didn't taste like the run-of-the-mill pumpkin pies.

I also bought (was going to make it, but really am too tired to do much of anything lately) a vanilla pudding cake and we had that as well.
It all sounds delicious!!!

#12 Fridge

Fridge

The Freezable Fridgeâ„¢

• Members *
  • 10753 posts
  • Interests:Being a covers band hack
    hillwalking
    Just about anything in the great outdoors

Posted 26 December 2019 - 02:00 PM

Couldn't care less, as long as the day goes as quickly as possible.

#13 pjbear05

pjbear05

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3093 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 02:49 PM

As if yesterday wasn't enough, today we get the last of Karen's online orders.  Chocolate chip cookies and peanut butter fudge.  I am thoroughly sick of sweets, and am dying for a good greasy burger.

Only one holiday food tradition left, and that is Italian on New Year's Eve.  Used to be a huge pan of lasagna when we would entertain, but now as it's just Karen and I,  I make her Mom's recipe for spaghetti sauce with Italian sausage.  Buon appetito.

#14 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 48907 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

View PostFridge, on 26 December 2019 - 02:00 PM, said:

Couldn't care less, as long as the day goes as quickly as possible.
I know how you feel.  It's only a day.  All this prep and frenzy and it's all over in a flash.

#15 pjbear05

pjbear05

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3093 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 03:22 PM

View Postblueschica, on 23 December 2019 - 10:19 PM, said:

My sister is going all out and getting Prime Rib for our Christmas Dinner.....i would have been happy with Turkey. :musicnote: :yes:  But im OK with it !

That is what my dad got also! I made lasagna for Christmas eve and we will have roast beef on Christmas day. My dad has always liked to bring home a big meat for Christmas - a ham, or a turkey, or a roast beef. He was young during the Depression and that was a big tradition in his family back then that meant Christmas to them. He went out and got a roast beef this year!
Reminds me of the massive Christmas parties in Detroit when I worked for Animal Control.  It was pot luck and everyone contributed.  One of the veterinarians had been with Food Inspection, working the Central Market, knew where to go, and brought ginormus meat.  Big whole hams, standing rib roast, leg of lamb, etc.  Between that, my kielbasa, and somebody bringing in venison, we ate like royalty.

#16 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 48907 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 03:02 PM

I'm having lasagna tomorrow and here is the recipe I use and am about to begin making:
https://thepioneerwo...he_best_lasagn/

It's delicious!  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users