Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Spoiler-Free Thread]

Principled Man

Just got back from seeing Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

It was GREAT. I loved it.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

Was it perfect? Of course not, but the flaws it does have are minor. It was fast-paced, had some very good dialogue, and the ending was perfect (for me). On more than one occasion, I literally said, "WOW" in amazement, and I clapped along with many others during some scenes.

It is a very good rebound from the The Last Jedi. JJ Abrams didn't throw a perfect game in this film, but he sure did come through and make a satisfying end to the Skywalker Saga.

Gonna see it again Sunday!

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 3

Was it perfect? Of course not, but the flaws it does have are minor. It was fast-paced, had some very good dialogue, and the ending was perfect (for me). On more than one occasion, I literally said, "WOW" in amazement, and I clapped along with many others during some scenes.

It is a very good rebound from the The Last Jedi. JJ Abrams didn't throw a perfect game in this film, but he sure did come through and make a satisfying end to the Skywalker Saga.

“Rebound”? I definitely remember you liking Last Jedi a lot. I’d have to find the thread but I’m sure you saw it at least a couple of times and you saying that it gave you goosebumps. I’m positive. Just sayin’

“Rebound”? I definitely remember you liking Last Jedi a lot. I’d have to find the thread but I’m sure you saw it at least a couple of times and you saying that it gave you goosebumps. I’m positive. Just sayin’

You definitely remember? You're positive? Good for you. :facepalm: You go right ahead and look up every post I've made about all films....if that makes you happy.

There are parts of The Last Jedi that are great. There are other parts that are really lame, but they were not repeated in Rise of Skywalker.

If you have a problem with people's appreciation or criticism of a film changing over time, then maybe you should stop coming here to discuss films.

You definitely remember? You're positive? Good for you. :facepalm: You go right ahead and look up every post I've made about all films....if that makes you happy.

There are parts of The Last Jedi that are great. There are other parts that are really lame, but they were not repeated in Rise of Skywalker.

If you have a problem with people's appreciation or criticism of a film changing over time, then maybe you should stop coming here to discuss films.

Jesus Christ take it easy. As I said, “just sayin’.” Okay, you changed your mind. WTF

Good: It’s better than Solo and goes along the every other trajectory like the Star Trek and Craig 007 movies in quality. Love a couple of cameos and it’s a nice farewell for Carrie may she rest in peace.

Bad: Most of the midpoint of the movie is just exposition padding crap. It’s becoming quite a chore lately to see these new ones ASAP just to avoid spoilers online. I’m very lucky Rifftrax covers these movies. I skipped Solo for Rifftrax since it’s an origin movie anyways.

Hated TLJ! Loved this one! To have it end this way was very satisfying to me.

The final scene was great. No better way to end the Saga. :ebert:

• Like 3

The Rise of Skywalker is mediocre fan service. 3.5

If you’re a hardcore fan of the original trilogy. To maximize enjoyment of this film, perform whatever mental exercise you must do to avoid hate watching. Only then do you have an opportunity to enjoy J.J. Abrams latest effort in fan service. There is practically nothing new going on here, there is plenty to tire over. If you’re looking for some kind of redemption over the handling of the Luke Skywalker character, you’re not getting it.

The franchise at this point has become a PG-13 Game of Thrones except it doesn’t matter if characters die. Time and space don’t matter, physics doesn’t matter. Irreversible erasing of hard-drives don’t matter. There is plenty of rehashed Sith vs Jedi dialog. Wasted cameo appearances instead of supporting roles. Why cut big checks to Billy Dee Williams and Keri Russell only to not use them in any meaningful way? With the exception of a festival it’s a dull looking almost colorless film. That dullness contributes to the massive fleet as seen in trailers looking ridiculous.

John Boyega has a standout performance portraying strength and maturity in Finn. Daisy Ridley’s Rey continues to be the best element of the latest trilogy, the answer of Rey’s parents is finally satisfying. Kylo Ren has at last become interesting to watch, I imagine Adam Driver appreciated that. There is a chemistry on screen with Ridley and Driver that is only briefly maximized. At this point good riddance to Oscar Isaac’s Poe Dameron.

For all the faults of The Last Jedi at least interesting risks were taken. The same could be said of Solo. Rogue One is the modern-day Star Wars masterpiece. There are several moments in The Rise of Skywalker worth seeing for the completist, even a couple of real gems. Just don’t re-arrange your schedule to do so. If you don’t like crowds wait a couple of weeks, maybe stream it at home if your TV is big enough.

There is a moment in the film that felt familiar. I tried to remember which film this was lifted from. It was the Mandalorian, the Disney+ TV show that is doing Star Wars right.

1 star: Life is too short to waste time with this.

2 stars: Maybe you have an irrational fascination with the subject matter.

3 stars: Might be worth checking out.

4 stars: See this. Worth the price of admission.

5 stars: Must see. Maybe see it twice.

>>If you’re looking for some kind of redemption over the handling of the Luke Skywalker character, you’re not getting it.

Well, there was that one sequence where he did what he did. Which does sort of how how powerful he had become, before he threw in the towel.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

Saw it once, liked it a lot. Loved TLJ, love love TFA, this goes right in with those two for a great trilogy, certainly better than the prequels. Seeing it again on Christmas Eve, and I predict my opinion will only get more positive with the 2nd viewing. A lot in the film, and very little of it bored or bothered me.

Saw it once, liked it a lot. Loved TLJ, love love TFA, this goes right in with those two for a great trilogy, certainly better than the prequels. Seeing it again on Christmas Eve, and I predict my opinion will only get more positive with the 2nd viewing. A lot in the film, and very little of it bored or bothered me.

I saw it Friday with a buddy, I'm seeing it today with Ma, Sis and the BIL, and again with my niece on Christmas Day. I'm sure I'll notice more details and maybe even a flaw here and there. :D

There is so much packed into the film, but I think it was necessary. Abrams could have easily added another 30 minutes to the film. I don't think fans would have minded!

• Like 2

I saw it Friday with a buddy, I'm seeing it today with Ma, Sis and the BIL, and again with my niece on Christmas Day. I'm sure I'll notice more details and maybe even a flaw here and there. :D

There is so much packed into the film, but I think it was necessary. Abrams could have easily added another 30 minutes to the film. I don't think fans would have minded!

sounds like they should have split it into 2 parts. I'll find out on the 26th.

• Like 1

It’s more like Abrams felt like he had two movies worth of content he needed to make after TLJ just didn’t do anything anyone expected.

• Like 2

It’s more like Abrams felt like he had two movies worth of content he needed to make after TLJ just didn’t do anything anyone expected.

Absolutely. Abrams had two huge challenges: 1) Build from what Rian Johnson left him and 2) make a satisfying conclusion to the Saga.

20/20 hindsight says that Disney should have had Abrams make the entire trilogy. Pay him whatever he wanted.

The trilogy may have been great or not-so-great, but at least it would have had a complete story.

• Like 1

It’s not that fans don’t want their expectations subverted - of course they do. It’s just that if you plan do that, execute it well.

Rian Johnson did not execute it well, I don’t care how skilled he is as a director.

Remember Alien 3? Where they just kill Newt offscreen. Outrageous bullshit that had to more with contacts than story. But I feel something similar happened with TLJ. They had to sideline Luke’s importance because of financial factors.

I still love TLJ, it pushes a lot of boundaries that I don't think Abrams would've been inclined to continue pushing in RoS otherwise, and I like those boundaries being pushed. Edited by Entre_Perpetuo

It’s not that fans don’t want their expectations subverted - of course they do. It’s just that if you plan do that, execute it well.

Rian Johnson did not execute it well, I don’t care how skilled he is as a director.

Remember Alien 3? Where they just kill Newt off screen. Outrageous bullshit that had to more with contacts than story. But I feel something similar happened with TLJ. They had to sideline Luke’s importance because of financial factors.

Alien 3 was doomed to fail. What was the audience supposed to like or cheer? There was nothing but pain, misery and death.

If I remember correctly, the very last spoken line was "F--- you." I walked out of the theater just shaking my head.

• Like 2

I enjoyed it, although there was a TON of fan service. Couple good surprises, and the final scene was nice.

That one cameo shared with Kylo was probably worth $2 alone for me

• Like 2

I enjoyed it, although there was a TON of fan service. Couple good surprises, and the final scene was nice.

I cried there. I was already emotional and that scene let a couple tears loose.

• Like 1

I enjoyed it, although there was a TON of fan service.

Similar to Avengers: Endgame, which had many scenes made just to please the audience.

When concluding a long-running, massively popular film series, it has to be done.....I guess.

• Like 1

Yes but then I was WTF? Death means nothing in these films.

• Like 1

Why not just give it the Peter Jackson treatment for The Hobbit, and split it into 3 parts?

Then it would be a trilogy within a trilogy.

I just blew my mind...

• Like 1

Remember Alien 3? Where they just kill Newt off screen. Outrageous bullshit that had to more with contacts than story. But I feel something similar happened with TLJ. They had to sideline Luke’s importance because of financial factors.

Alien 3 was doomed to fail. What was the audience supposed to like or cheer? There was nothing but pain, misery and death.

If I remember correctly, the very last spoken line was "F--- you." I walked out of the theater just shaking my head.

I really disliked that movie when I saw it back when it was released. I refuse to watch it again because I know it won't get any better.

I really disliked that movie when I saw it back when it was released. I refuse to watch it again because I know it won't get any better.

For me, the story began with Alien and ended with Aliens, and it was a good ending. Everything else that came afterwards was just redundant crap.

• Like 1

Yes but then I was WTF? Death means nothing in these films.

Ooh, now I'm not sure we're referencing the same scene. No one dies in the one I was talking about, although I think maybe I know which one you mean now. That was an interesting choice, but I think it works.