Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker [Spoiler-Free Thread]

Principled Man

Well, boys and girls, it's finally here! The alleged end of the Skywalker saga has arrived!

Will Star Wars fans be thrilled? Outraged? Will the arguing over characters, plot lines and corporate agendas continue?

Will the film be a well-made film? That is my wish above all. I go to the cinema with open eyes and open mind. I will take it for what it is and not for what I want it to be.

May the Force be with us all!!

1155193.jpg

• Like 4

Glad you started a spoiler free thread.

I'm guessing the original reactions will all be positive and that it's the greatest SW movie since the original trilogy.

Then within a day or so, there will be a wave of reactions stating it sucked, so-and-so should have directed it instead, the characters were all dull.

To your point, it's pretty much a given that there will be arguments over characters, plot lines, and corporate agendas.

I've got tickets for Saturday at noon. So hopefully I can avoid the spoilers for a day (I have no temptations, just like being spoiler free for Rush setlists). If I just stay off the internet, should be no problem.

I've got tickets for Saturday night and then again on Christmas Eve with my family. Will be trying to avoid people's reactions until then.

I've got tickets for Saturday night and then again on Christmas Eve with my family. Will be trying to avoid people's reactions until then.

I'm going Friday evening with a buddy and then on Sunday with the family.

I could have bought tickets for the grand opening tomorrow evening, but they were front row - no thanks!!

I'll just jump in here now and get to the point. I've read the spoilers on Reddit. They appear to be true.

Movie sucks about as bad as Season 8 of GOT.

Going to see it Thursday night, for confirmation.

I'm going to see "Star Wars: Episode IX - the Rise of Skywalker" in the theatres, but it won't be on opening weekend. After it's been out for only a couple, or a few weeks, I'll watch it. In the mean time, if I'll see, and read any spoilers, and whatever reviews there are, I'm not going to believe anything, until I watch it for myself. Edited by Derek19

I don't know when I'll see it (if I could avoid the in-laws, I might sneak out this weekend), but I'll probably try to avoid most reviews, essays, think-pieces, and hot takes if I can. I'm not going off the grid just so I don't accidentally learn something about Rey or Kylo, etc.

I, too, hope it's just well done, as living up to the hype is pretty much impossible, given there will be rabid haters and fanatical believers no matter which way things go.

Remember the last episode of Seinfeld? Widely panned as disappointing, it's a reminder that it's just damned hard to end things well, unless there's a natural end (like M.A.S.H., maybe) or there's been a plan/arc since the beginning.

Looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I'll just jump in here now and get to the point. I've read the spoilers on Reddit. They appear to be true.

Why bother seeing it? You’ve already made up your mind.

Like with a car crash, it's impossible not to look?

The SFX. I like X-wings, the Falcon and The Ghost.

I don't know when I'll see it (if I could avoid the in-laws, I might sneak out this weekend), but I'll probably try to avoid most reviews, essays, think-pieces, and hot takes if I can. I'm not going off the grid just so I don't accidentally learn something about Rey or Kylo, etc.

I, too, hope it's just well done, as living up to the hype is pretty much impossible, given there will be rabid haters and fanatical believers no matter which way things go.

Remember the last episode of Seinfeld? Widely panned as disappointing, it's a reminder that it's just damned hard to end things well, unless there's a natural end (like M.A.S.H., maybe) or there's been a plan/arc since the beginning.

Looking forward to it.

That last ep of Seinfeld was disappointing at the time, but watching it now, it couldn't be a better ending to the series. It's great.

• Like 3

Looking forward to it.

That last ep of Seinfeld was disappointing at the time, but watching it now, it couldn't be a better ending to the series. It's great.

They're real, and they're still spectacular!

• Like 1

Looking forward to it.

It's still awful.

Looking forward to it.

It's still awful.

I don’t remember the ending, I only remember not liking it at the time.

The best sitcom series finale I can think of was Cheers’ last episode. The very last scene closed it off well imho

• Like 1

Well, it's a visually stunning movie, I'll give it that. How some of the things in the movie came to be....I don't know. There are plot holes big enough to fly a Death Star through.

But the movie itself is gorgeous. Did I say that already?

• Like 2

Well, it's a visually stunning movie, I'll give it that. How some of the things in the movie came to be....I don't know. There are plot holes big enough to fly a Death Star through.

But the movie itself is gorgeous. Did I say that already?

Doesn’t sound too promising but I’ll see it anyway

The Rise of Skywalker is mediocre fan service. 3.5

If you’re a hardcore fan of the original trilogy. To maximize enjoyment of this film, perform whatever mental exercise you must do to avoid hate watching. Only then do you have an opportunity to enjoy J.J. Abrams latest effort in fan service. There is practically nothing new going on here, there is plenty to tire over. If you’re looking for some kind of redemption over the handling of the Luke Skywalker character, you’re not getting it.

The franchise at this point has become a PG-13 Game of Thrones except it doesn’t matter if characters die. Time and space don’t matter, physics doesn’t matter. Irreversible erasing of hard-drives don’t matter. There is plenty of rehashed Sith vs Jedi dialog. Wasted cameo appearances instead of supporting roles. Why cut big checks to Billy Dee Williams and Keri Russell only to not use them in any meaningful way? With the exception of a festival it’s a dull looking almost colorless film. That dullness contributes to the massive fleet as seen in trailers looking ridiculous.

John Boyega has a standout performance portraying strength and maturity in Finn. Daisy Ridley’s Rey continues to be the best element of the latest trilogy, the answer of Rey’s parents is finally satisfying. Kylo Ren has at last become interesting to watch, I imagine Adam Driver appreciated that. There is a chemistry on screen with Ridley and Driver that is only briefly maximized. At this point good riddance to Oscar Isaac’s Poe Dameron.

For all the faults of The Last Jedi at least interesting risks were taken. The same could be said of Solo. Rogue One is the modern-day Star Wars masterpiece. There are several moments in The Rise of Skywalker worth seeing for the completist, even a couple of real gems. Just don’t re-arrange your schedule to do so. If you don’t like crowds wait a couple of weeks, maybe stream it at home if your TV is big enough.

There is a moment in the film that felt familiar. I tried to remember which film this was lifted from. It was the Mandalorian, the Disney+ TV show that is doing Star Wars right.

1 star: Life is too short to waste time with this.

2 stars: Maybe you have an irrational fascination with the subject matter.

3 stars: Might be worth checking out.

4 stars: See this. Worth the price of admission.

5 stars: Must see. Maybe see it twice.

• Like 1

The stories were never really that good, and nothing has topped the original and Empire Strikes Back in terms of entertainment value...but one more chance to escape to the Star Wars universe is always welcome. I'm looking forward to it.
  • Like 3

The stories were never really that good, and nothing has topped the original and Empire Strikes Back in terms of entertainment value...but one more chance to escape to the Star Wars universe is always welcome. I'm looking forward to it.

I agree with all of that. I’m going to see it next weekend as part of a bonenkai [year end party] with a couple of close friends. We don’t expect much at all but it’ll be fun to talk about (and possibly rip) over dinner and drinks afterwards.

• Like 1