Art of Rush

Prince of Tyrus

Not exactly KISS level yet, but they definitely are part of the whole corporate musictoday machine now, so they’ll continue to pump out a lot more merch as time goes on. Anyway these are Giclee prints, framed, signed by Hugh Syme, and limited to 75 of each size for each piece of art. Giclee is not like a regular poster or litho, it’s real deal gallery/museum piece quality art, and it is coincidentally also memorabilia to Rush fans, so it feels like a crazy cash grab, but real artists putting out real works of framed art always charge large sums for small print runs or one of a kind pieces. And they will have to ship these fairly expensively to avoid a $3K loss due to shipping damage, etc. Since Rush fans will also want these rather than just art collectors, they can get away with 75 and two different sizes of each, and they can jack the price up a bit. But any known artist putting out numbered editions of museum quality stuff will look to get top dollar. The big question here is, “how big is Hugh Syme in the art world, and does he command these kinds of prices?” The clue that this is a bit grandiose is that it’s sold online thru a music merch company and not an actual physical art gallery or artist’s personal studio, which is the usual way works of visual fine art get sold.

So the proof will be in the sales numbers—if they sell more at full price than they get stuck with, it’s probably profitable, but I think they are in this for the longer game or they wouldn’t have a separate virtual store from the Rush merch store. I’m just hoping the artist isn’t getting screwed too badly by musictoday, and that the band is letting him have the lion’s share also.

• Like 1

Not exactly KISS level yet, but they definitely are part of the whole corporate musictoday machine now, so they’ll continue to pump out a lot more merch as time goes on. Anyway these are Giclee prints, framed, signed by Hugh Syme, and limited to 75 of each size for each piece of art. Giclee is not like a regular poster or litho, it’s real deal gallery/museum piece quality art, and it is coincidentally also memorabilia to Rush fans, so it feels like a crazy cash grab, but real artists putting out real works of framed art always charge large sums for small print runs or one of a kind pieces. And they will have to ship these fairly expensively to avoid a $3K loss due to shipping damage, etc. Since Rush fans will also want these rather than just art collectors, they can get away with 75 and two different sizes of each, and they can jack the price up a bit. But any known artist putting out numbered editions of museum quality stuff will look to get top dollar. The big question here is, “how big is Hugh Syme in the art world, and does he command these kinds of prices?” The clue that this is a bit grandiose is that it’s sold online thru a music merch company and not an actual physical art gallery or artist’s personal studio, which is the usual way works of visual fine art get sold.

So the proof will be in the sales numbers—if they sell more at full price than they get stuck with, it’s probably profitable, but I think they are in this for the longer game or they wouldn’t have a separate virtual store from the Rush merch store. I’m just hoping the artist isn’t getting screwed too badly by musictoday, and that the band is letting him have the lion’s share also.

I don't think the band is really involved in this in an meaningful way (but who knows for sure) For me, the band is the context with this. Fans have most of this stuff on their wall already (although not in the "high quality art" sense.) It doesn't take on that kind of meaning for me, but it might to someone else.

I'd probably go if there was an art show in my area if Hugh was there, but that would be the extent of it.

At least it's not more bobbleheads or similar stuff.

• Like 1

We can only wonder about the financial particulars, but I’m 100% out and don’t really understand the figure they came up with. The Giclee I bought was of a photo on museum grade canvas, and signed by both the photographer and the rock star in the photo, and was 1/20 the cost. I’m sure it won’t cost $2800 plus to frame either. If there are people out there who are ok paying those prices for one of these, I certainly don’t understand why, but have at it.
  • Like 1

:musicnote: :musicnote: It's beginning to look a lot like :musicnote: :musicnote: kfBtAjWm.jpg with some of the stuff that is being sold! :LOL:

623033-2T.jpg?v-cache=1488456777

How far a drive is it from lunch box to coffin?

• Like 1

:musicnote: :musicnote: It's beginning to look a lot like :musicnote: :musicnote: kfBtAjWm.jpg with some of the stuff that is being sold! :LOL:

623033-2T.jpg?v-cache=1488456777

How far a drive is it from lunch box to coffin?

:LOL: :lol: :LOL: Exactly!

• Like 1

I don't know the market for art prints nor am I able to discern quality of the stock, framing etc. So I can't really say if they are way over-priced or not. But they look great and have no issue with this kind of thing - I just am unable to play along. IF I could afford such a thing and if I had the proper space to display them, chances are I would get one or two.

I am fine with the whole bobble head/coffee mug/key chain/speedo merchandising thing. People are free to buy or not, the only thing I get my knickers in a knot about is 40th Anniversary packages that don't include adequate previously unreleased material. That 40th Anniversary PeW box better come though or by george I'm going to post a complaint on the interwebs - and then they'll be sorry :codger:

Edited by taurus